3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to over come buck fever  (Read 381 times)

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
How to over come buck fever
« on: October 04, 2009, 02:31:00 AM »
Dont get me wrong I get pretty worked up about shooting a doe or even a spike but not until after the arrow leaves the bow...today i guess was the first time i have encountered a 140s+ deer and he was with in 8  yards...but it was like my brain shut down and I couldnt think straight and ended up not killing the deer...one plus is that I can hopefully learn from this, but what do you do to calm your nerves when a deer appears out of no where?

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to over come buck fever
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
I fought it for a long time, and still do sometimes.  Let me put it this way...I've killed some great bucks, but there are alot of them that "got away" due to not being able to controll "Buck Fever"  For me it was just experience.  The more I got in range of big bucks, the calmer I was.  I still get overly excited, but it normally happens after the shot now.  When the big boy comes to you, breath deep, stay calm and make the shot.  After you have made the shot, you will have all the time in the world to get excited.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I also struggled with the fever for a long time, still do. The thing that helped me the most was taking and being around lots of deer. I have killed my share of big bucks but i still get some form of buck fever when i see a mature buck. Being prepared and knowing your weapon inside and out has helped me a lot.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by jonsimoneau:
I fought it for a long time, and still do sometimes.  Let me put it this way...I've killed some great bucks, but there are alot of them that "got away" due to not being able to controll "Buck Fever"  For me it was just experience.  The more I got in range of big bucks, the calmer I was.  I still get overly excited, but it normally happens after the shot now.  When the big boy comes to you, breath deep, stay calm and make the shot.  After you have made the shot, you will have all the time in the world to get excited.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Perfect practice.......nannies.

Tom Watson once said....there is NO substitute for actually putting ones self "In the Arena".

Go "there" often....and it'll get easier and easier.

Good luck to you, this fall.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Why would you want to not experience buck fever.  I love Buck fever...my advice...

1.Ride it out with a big grin under your facemask...just admit how awesome things are as they are happening.  Dont fight it.  

2. Deep/slow breathing and holding at in-hale for a few secs seems to help me.
3.  Dont stare...your eyes will go blury and you may get dizzy.  Move eye focus around a little, always returning to the spot you want to hit briefly and imagining the arc of the arrow to that spot.  You have just visualized your shot!  You can do this even if the animal isnt broadside yet.  You can also do this all year long (visualization) on non-game animals etc.  
4. I only try to think about (consciously) one aspect of my form when shooting for real (at animals) and thats my bow arm pushing toward my "spot".  Everything else is a blur of course.  Hope this helps...experience may be the best teacher though.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
It helps to know that there's others out there lol thanks guys

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
never heard of this buck fever....what are the symptoms?   :D    :rolleyes:    :D
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Very impressed with your caution and respect. IMO, to shoot or not should be decided long before you get into the woods. It can be a heavy burden otherwise. Some folks can't. Proper ethics & respect will let you pull the trigger.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Focus on the shot, not on the animal. (The deep breathing advice is good too.)

Thinking about anything else before he is down, like the rack or how badly you would "like" to get him, will work against you.

Focus.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by jhg:
Focus on the shot, not on the animal. (The deep breathing advice is good too.)

Thinking about anything else before he is down, like the rack or how badly you would "like" to get him, will work against you.

Focus.

Joshua
I couldn't agree more. Once you decide he's a shooter for you, stop looking at that rack and focus on the shot. keep your mind racing and you will not think about the antlers.
Gotta love that adrenaline though!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Everyone has it to a certain degree! Experience is the best teacher.

Keep the good avice from others above in mind though!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline recurvist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
if I ever completely lose that feelin,,its time to quit huntin thats th thing that keeps me gettin up at ungodly times on bone chillin mornins..to go set in a stand for hours ..over the years experience will help you thru it but if bow huntin is ur passion Dont think u will ever lose it..  :wavey:
" Aim small, ..Miss small " The Patriot.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
its pretty cool isn't it?

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
I still get excited (but under control) and thank God for the heart rate and knocking knees.

Everyone is telling you that it is experience that teaches you to control the "fever".. I will agree completely!

When any deer is coming in I repeat to myself "you have done this before; stay calm get into automatic mode and do it right".

Time and "encounters" will get you over the hump.

John3
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
joevan125 is right on........The only way to take the edge off buck fever,is to have been there often.

If you can go visit pen raised deer or a zoo with big bucks that you can get close to, make the trip prior to hunting season.  It will take the edge off when you see one in the wild.  

In my own experience, I live in Iowa, not much chance for elk hunting here.  This year prior to heading out west, I visited a farmer that raises big bull elk..................

I won't mention what for because it sort of turns my stomach.

At any rate the farmer took me out in the middle of his field and surrounded me with about twenty 400 class bulls.  Even knowing that these bulls were pen raised couldn't prevent my heart rate from "red line."  

It took a while for the spectacle of these  magnificant bull elk to soften enough for me to remember why I came.  I wanted to get my eyes calibrated for the size of the animals and distance judging as well as picking a spot.

I bet I slobbered for ten minutes before I came arround.  The point is that I think a guy just plain gets caught up in the splendor of a big buck or any big game animal as it approaches and the whole event just sort of pushes the timming of the shot and shooting mechanics right out the window.

How many guys that miss a slam dunk shot at an animal come away with no idea what happened.
My moneys on........."caught up in the moment".

To round out my elk farm experience, this year in colorado I was fortunate to get myself into a group of 5 bulls including one T-Rex of a herd bull.  I managed to get ahead of this group of elk and call in a nice 6x6.  I watched him come for 50yds and it looked like a 5 yd shot but he made the right choice at the last second and chose a different path to pass me. Too much brush for a clear shot and he caught me trying to kneel to shoot through.  Wow! what a mornings hunt!.  

As I relived the mornings events hiking baack to camp I realized that had I not been in the company of big bulls prior to this hunt It would have been hard to process all the excitment and focus on the shot timming.  I do remember thinking, hey, this bull is walking up to me just like at the farm.  It really did have a calming effect........."been there....done that"...

Well enough of my rambling.  All the talk about remain calm, pick a spot, concentrate, don't look at the whole animal, and pick a hair are all true statements..........................  

BUT YOU WON'T!!! remember any of it if you cant believe your eyes and "OH my God, I'm gonna get the shot at the buck of a lifetime."

Small game hunting and filling those doe tags gets you the experience and confidence in shooting deer to say to your self "I've been there, I've done that".  Don't get me wrong.  Taking a doe can be as exciting as a buck anyday......but probably not as hard to come by.

Last but not least..........congradulations!! You are not a stone cold individual intent on killing.  You have a passion for the whole event....your excitment is proof.  You just need to take the edge off, that's all.
LPM

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Strange thing......I used to get all worked up with deer fever when I hunted with wheelies, but for some reason I don't get near as worked up since hunting with trad. I get it after the shot real bad though, which doesn't matter at that point. I think I start thinking about making the shot so much that I don't seem to get all worked up with the fever when I see a deer that I want to shoot at. But now, I've never been in bow range of a deer that would score over 125 either. But that didn't matter when I shot wheelies 'cause I would get the fever any time I decided any shooter was in range!   :smileystooges:    :confused:    "[dntthnk]"
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Jay Kidwell's book. . . info on target panic.  Same issue.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
 When any deer is coming in I repeat to myself "you have done this before; stay calm get into automatic mode and do it right".
Sage advice.

I always go into the "do your job" mode.  I've had some pretty interesting conversations with me.  Helps to downright get mad....lol.

If it ever completely goes away, though.....time to pick up chess or something!  :D

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I should have also mentioned that Uncle Gene helped me to get over my problems with buck fever.  I missed the same big buck TWICE in once season...both times at under 20 yards.  I needed help.  I sent him an email, and he got me on the right path.  A couple years later I had a shot at a big one, and I now look at him everyday on my wall.  Another thing that helped me was taking shooting lessons from Rick Welch. Best investment I have ever made in hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©