3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting stools/seats  (Read 483 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting stools/seats
« on: October 04, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
I'm looking for a new style in hunting stool I can carry easily, is comfortable, compact, and quiet. No squeals or creaks whenyou shift your weight. I made on of those wooden ones with the rope thatsomeone had mentioned on here, and didnt care for it as it could be noisy depending on the type of tree it was attadhed to. Any sugggestions would be helpful and appreciated.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting stools/seats
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
They have all kinds of Gee-Whiz seats made for hunting and some of them work really well. They all have pros and cons for sure.

I like this cheap little stool from campmor, it fits in my backpack, doesn't weigh much and is comfortable to sit on. Sure the legs can sink in soft ground etc but overall I like it.
 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368363

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
They have all kinds of Gee-Whiz seats made for hunting and some of them work really well. They all have pros and cons for sure.

I like this cheap little stool from campmor, it fits in my backpack, doesn't weigh much and is comfortable to sit on. Sure the legs can sink in soft ground etc but overall I like it.
 http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368363

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I should have noted it is the Tex-Sport folding tripod I use.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
I use a tree seat from Millineum tree stands.
It straps to a tree and is like a sling seat.
It is very quiet, quick to set up and comfortable.
It folds up so the nylon straps that attach the seat to the back "could" be in the way for a shot, but I haven't found them to be a problem yet.
I sometimes strap mine a little higher on the trunk so I can easily stand up with very little movement if I need to make a "crouched" standing shot.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline EricW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I just picked up a tree seat made by Gorilla tree stands. Used it this weekend and I am impressed. Good construction, Easy to use, level adjustment and nice padded seat.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I made a stool for surf fishing and I use it for hunting.I got a piece of exhaust pipe(3-4 ft depending on your height when sitting)from a muffler shop and had them weld a 6 inch by 4 inch piece of flat metal on the top.I drilled holes in the top plate and attached a piece of plywood put some foam on it,and covered it with camo from an old shirt.Cut the bottom of the leg on a 45 degree angle with a sawzaw,paint it and you can sit and pivot in a 360. If you make it a little long it takes the strain off of your back and you can shoot from it real easy.or just buy a marsh seat for duck hunting,but if you make it you can custom fit the length. Good Luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I put a swivel seat lid on a 7 gallon bucket. Just the right height. I'm going to change that to a boat seat with a back rest though.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Look on Google "the hunters smart seat" ...I like mine..
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I picked up a Double Bull Magnum stool this year. I like it very much. If you're a big guy (over the 250# most are rated for)this is a good one for you.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
I picked up a Double Bull Magnum stool this year. I like it very much. If you're a big guy (over the 250# most are rated for)this is a good one for you.
Tried sitting on what I thought was a comfortable fold up seat earlier this year, only to have lasted 45 min then my lowewr back was killing me. A friend of mine has the regular Double Bull seat and I loved it! Im a "hefty" guy so I will be picking up the magnum like Dave...
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mr. Vegas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
www.nifftseat.com/    Been using this seat for the past 4 seasons. Perfect!

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
I second the nif T seat.  This is the third year for me Turkey and Deer season both.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline Cottonmouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Quake Industries STAG All-Terrain Seat
By the Bowhunter Editorial Staff

If you are in the market for a comfortable blind chair, look no further than Quake Industries' new STAG All-Terrain Seat™ (ATS). The back rest helps reduce fatigue during longer sits and the four independently adjustable legs keep the seat level and stable on the most uneven terrain.

The legs also retract into the seat for compact portability. The seat height can be adjusted from 16 to 23.5 inches, allowing you to customize it to the height of your blind's shooting windows. A silent swiveling mechanism lets you turn your body for the shot without moving the seat. Even though it weighs a feathery 6 pounds, the STAG is capable of supporting up to 500 pounds.

Contact: Quake Industries, Inc., 1-800-388-9335,  www.quakeinc.com.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."  Robert A. Heilein

Offline PAINTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
I have tried a bunch, including the Huntmore Cadillac (a great, comfortable seat for sitting all day, a pain to carry and assemble), which I just sold.  I am back to a 5 gal bucket with a swivel seat, it is no where near perfect but it is the best I've found.  It fits into my back pack for long hikes and works OK as a tote for short hikes.  My gillie and coffee fit inside along with a piece of camo cloth.  And they are cheap.  When my back gets to hurting I stand a while.  I got my first deer this year while I was in standing mode.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I have found most comfortable seats weigh more than I want to carry around. I finally purchased a Walkstool and it is both comfortable and light, weighing less than 2 pounds. They are available in different sizes. I got the "Walkstool 65" which is 26 inches high and has a 16 inch seat. It is tall enough I can get up very easily without much movement. It collapses to a very small size and opens in seconds which also helps.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
About the best thing I've found is a good old 5 gallon bucket  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
I've used the Niff-t-seat for several years. It works just as they say it does. I don't carry mine like they show on their vids, I just tied a pc of 1/4" rope to it and sling it over my shoulder. Carrys quiet and don't bounce around.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
Bill - that Walkaround looks interesting.
Thanks
Steve

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 10:04:00 AM »
The leaning seat from Big Jim's Bow Company is the most comfortable seat I ever set my backside in!! it's light and easy to carry, and I strapped a small pack on it, very good chair!! check it out! Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©