3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What gives hunters a GOOD name?  (Read 592 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What gives hunters a GOOD name?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
Topics like these are necessary but they always make me sad. It's a shame we have to censor ourselves so much. I don't try to rub things in people's faces, but I hate feeling like I should hide what I love just so that I don't offend someone. What's wrong with transporting a deer that you killed on your vehicle? What's wrong with getting excited about hunting/killing? Sorry, those are rhetorical question..  
It's called "tact".

There's nothing wrong with my wife and I making love.  But I'm sure not gonna tell our son I'm "nailing" his mother.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up, Jeff.  I see it so much more clearly now.  Letting people know that we hunt is the same as demeaning our spouses in the eyes of our children.  How silly of me.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
The point was....demeaning = demeaning.

I wouldn't drag a downed deer across my landowner's property (in plain sight)....out of respect for their feelings.

I simply see it (and my analogy) as a respect issuue.

Sorry if the analogy offended you.  But it's spot-on(IMO).

Offline John McCreary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
When I started 45+ years ago my first lesson from Dad was respect. Respect for the rights of others, respect for the land, respect for the game we pursued. Later I learned to show appreciation to the land owners on whose property we hunted. I've put up hay, repaired fences, picked up trash and always said thank you. Dad would always buy a Christmas ham for the land owners, over the years we delivered  a LOT of hams! I've learned many things but perhaps the most important is my actions speak vastly louder than my words. One can pontificate on ethics, laws and consevation but a single can carelessly tossed, camp fire left burning or ill adviced shot selction will be the image you will be remembered by.  

John
Who ever called this the "Golden Years" never lived this long...

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
"what sort of things you think make a GOOD impression on the general public."...The GENERAL PUBLIC...not landowners or to do with where you hunt...I would say hunting for food and not for trophies...I don't worry about what the "general public" thinks though...I hunt for food and theres nothing wrong with that I mean how else do I get wild meat without killing it?...I love animals(And not just because the meat tastes good)...If someday hunting was outlawed then another revolution would be needed.

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
I think John said it well, respect is all important.  Respect yourself, your neighbor, the land and the animals that live there.  Hunting is not a competition nor a means to prove oneself to others.  Solitude as well as the companionship of sharing the wonders of the wild are the rewards we receive because of our choice to participate in nature.  I hold these values closely to my heart and respect the person who cannot tolerate my choices, not a battle worth fighting.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I was a Vegan for a spell too.
It gives me a huge advantage because I know how the anti's think and what motivates them.

I have converted many a vegetarian/anti to omnivor/pro with a heartfelt conversation and a really good roast.

Respect, humility, reverence. Simple, really.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by trashwood:
Money seems to work in Texas   :)  

rusty
HaHa, Spot on.....
I find the fact we are having this conversation sad.......was this an issue 30 years ago?
I know the numbers of hunters have exploded,as have the animal rights activists. what I think is all hunters should be given the benefit of the doubt untill they screw up. My generation is on a slippery slope and will most likely cause the hunter downfall. IMO
Larry
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Honesty...
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Take respectful photos of game taken.  Show the animal in the best light.  Pictures with the tounge hanging out and blood everywhere are not that great for hunter image.  Make the photos classy.  I will be the first to admit that I do not always do this.  I am aware of it and I am making a consious effort to plan photos that are respectful to the animal and the image.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
Stealth in the woods and not to be seen. Even though what we do is legal and worthy not all and dare I say most see it as barbaric and inhumane. In other words don't show off as it is self absorbed and silly. Hunt well and quietly is my motto for a good image.
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Okay, so far some great answers.  I said in the first post that I'd come back with my own ideas.  Many of yours echo my own thoughts in one way or another.

In it's simplest form, it can all be boiled down to a single word which has already been mentioned many times:  RESPECT.  A secondary heading would be RESPONSIBILITY.

But this word "RESPECT" has many, many sides to it and these sides are supported by and dependent upon responsibility.  

There is of course respect for the animal that prompts us to do our best to make a clean kill.  This respect is tied to the responsibility that we practice with our equipment, limit our shots to those within our actual ability and don't sacrifice good judgment to greed.

There is the respect for those who help us with all aspects of the hunt from land owners to shop owners, guides, fellow hunters and our wives.  All the things mentioned by others about helping land owners, sending Christmas cards, or just being there to help in a time of need even for things that are not hunting related do not go unnoticed or more importantly, unappreciated.  To the farmer, we have the responsibility to treat his property at least as well as he does himself and close his gates, report trespassers, and simply not do anything stupid.  To our wife and family, we have a responsibility to not neglect our responsibilities as husband or father.  At least not so much that it becomes an issue...       :rolleyes:      

There is respect for the opinions of those who do not hunt.  On this one however, I feel there is a level of unreasonable behavior that does not have to be tolerated.  An anti group purposely disrupting a hunt is a good example and has been ruled unlawful in most states.  A fanatic with no real experience or facts who simply repeats himself only louder is often a lost cause.  Think of the old saying about arguing with an idiot... There is a time to just walk away, there is a time to stand your ground.  To stand up for your beliefs while respecting the average persons opinion and presenting our own well thought out argument can not only get your point across but will exhibit a level of responsibility that, even if you still disagree in the end, might place a seed of tolerance in their mind for the future.  With this group of folks we also have the responsibility of basic courtesy.  I'm talking about things like bloody deer on the hitch hauler paraded around town and such.  Years ago, I remember seeing guys with tailgates down and a buck in the back going up and down the main drag in a small town to show their deer.  They were proud of it and most folks not only didn't mind but enjoyed seeing it and hearing the story.  Nowadays that's not the case in most towns.  I even have been turned off myself a few times.  One was when a guy came through town with a home made box trailer and had a deer hanging off every side of it by the feet and the heads swinging around and almost dragging the ground.  Tongues out, blood dripping.  Wasn't pretty.  I figure it's kinda like beef.  We all like it, we all eat it.  It's legal for consumption and sold in stores even, but I wouldn't want to see a flatbed truck with dead cows on it driving down main street on the way to the grocery store butcher shop.  Just basic common sense.

Tied to respect for others is an even more important respect for yourself.  It's sad to see hunters cowed down and meek or trying to hide what we do.  Where is our self respect?  I understand that some parts of the country are far different than others and here in the midwest things are less radical but we are doing nothing illegal.  On the thread about what makes hunters look bad, I mentioned going into stores in my camo.  Often with my kids also in camo.  I smile and nod to people I pass and most smile back.  They think it's cute that Daddy has his kids dressed up to go hunting.  If I'm at the door or in an aisle and people are kinda jammed up, a polite "excuse me" or stepping aside to let someone else pass is appreciated.  I'm proud that I hunt but I don't think of it as either a pro or a con of my personality so much as just a part of who I am.  But strangers who I meet while dressed to hunt only see me as "a hunter".  I have a responsibility to set a good example.  Being positive and respectful are very important.  I've stopped to help stranded motorists many times when returning home after a hunt and all were glad I did.  If you are uncomfortable about what the general public might think of yourself and hunting, how can you project a positive image?  With self respect though comes the responsibility not to take it to egotistical levels.  I mean anything from I hunt with "X" equipment so I'm better than you to general bragging about kill numbers, animal size, hits, misses or whatever.  We all like to tell stories of our hunts and I can get as crude as the next guy when I'm yucking it up with my buddies but never around strangers.  Nobody likes to hear somebody who is full of themselves and talks down at them.  

There is respect for the institution of, or "way of life" of hunting itself.  Here is a gray area for many people.  Not because we don't love hunting, but because we have trouble getting our point across to others.  I can sit here with time to think as I type and make a bit of sense but I can't usually do it spur of the moment in conversation.  I'm SO glad that the Wensel's and Mitten's made the movie Primal Dreams.  If I meet someone who is undecided about but open minded to hunting, I whip out the DVD and say, take this home and watch it.  There is something that comes across in it that makes sense even to people who don't hunt.  I think it's simply the beauty of the out doors and animals in nature but the scenery coupled with the undeniable respect (there's that word again...) for the hunt have helped me turn many people favorably towards hunting.

There is still so much more but I'm getting "wordy" and still feel I can't get my point across like I want.

Bottom line is this, be a good person first, last and always.  Then let people know that you hunt.  For most logical people, two plus two still makes four.... some of them will figure out on their own that we're not all bad.        ;)
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Well written Dave...  :thumbsup:  

Hope all is well with you and the family Amigo.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
I can only add...Thank you all for reminding us plus I really want to second what Dragonheart had to say, even on this site I will once in awhile notice a picture and think "Man!" I wish they had cleaned that up before posting it. I might keep a picture right after the kill for myself but any I know I want to share I'm careful with what's showing. My daughter(age 20) is bad about just wanting to get the picture out there for her friends to see and doesn't always show(IMO) the respect that animal deserves plus I wish she wouldn't post them on Facebook. I believe she so wants to show the "good-ole boys" that a girl doesn't mean having to be a priss. No excuse in my book.
Sorry for ranting.
Thanks for reading and thanks again for the reminders.
God bless,Mudd
OK I'm done
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Vegans, vegetarians, antis, fruitarians, fruits, hunters, categories, categories, we got too many categories!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Ummmm, what's a fruitarian?  sounds like someone who doctors sick fruit....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
I think the preservastion of land and the establishment of habitats for animals to abound in and multiply in is the most noteworthy thing that hunters have done that should give them a good name.Hunters have been some of the most ardent conservastionists and preservationists of land and wetlands.Just think about some of the things that have been done by Ducks unlimited,Pheasants forever and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation as well as other organizations that have alot of hunters as members.I think that should contribute to the good will toward hunters when used as an example of what hunters have accomplished that have benefitted ecosystyms,the animals that inhabit them and the poeple,not just hunters that enjoy these paradises.

i think that really needs to be pointed out clearly to people who may not know.That may contribute to more good will and understanding of how important hunters have been and will continue to be in the future in conservation and preservation of land and wildlife populations.

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
putting out corn even after season is over to feed the animals when the winter is very harsh on them..  just buying a hunting license knowing that the money goes back into the conservation of game and thier surroundings.. Not one dime of moey raised from p.e.t.a goes to the conservation of animals and stocking of fish!!!!  THATS WHAT GIVES US A GOOD NAME..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
I don't think the stickers of Calvin peeing on ANTIHUNTERS is much help
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
My hunting buddies and I have a big catfish feed once a year for our families and land owners in the area.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©