3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: glue  (Read 253 times)

Offline ed

• Trad Bowhunter
glue
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I recently bought cedar shafts and glued everything including the points onto them with DUCO cement.  The fletchings are holding good but the target points are coming off in the targets.  Is there a better glue out there for wooden shafts that forms a tighter bond so I'm not performing surgery on my 3-D target any more to recover heads.

Offline FlyinCedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: glue
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
I use hot melt and dont have a problem... there is actually a super strong glue that is heat reversible. You can get it from 3 Rivers, but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it right now. Maybe someone will help me out
Matt 6:33-Seek the Kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything that you need.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
ed,
never used duco for points, but I would just about bet that is not the main problem.... Did you clean out the tips with acetone and a Q tip first ? If not then the oil residue from manf the points is killing your glue bond. Just swab out with a wet one, then dry or blow out with compressed air and THEN glue. We use regular old super glue and never had a point come off. It is heat reversible too. Or as FlyinCedar said above, good old ferrule tite hot melt is hard to beat.

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I use a little grinding stone on my dremmel to rough the inside of the points first, then clean thoroughly with meths before hot melting.  I also score the wood taper slightly with a small file to give some extra purchase for the glue.  Never had one come off.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
the hotmelt is called ferr l tite. its great for points
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Duco just isn't suitable for points. It's great for nocks and fletching but will fail when used on points.
Be sure to clean the points well to remove all the oil or grease and then use a high quality hot melt glue or an epoxy. I prefer 12 minute epoxy as I don't have to juggle hot tips and molten glue but a good hot melt has been the go-to glue for points for decades.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Hot melt all the way buy some good stuff(Bohning) and you will never loose a point again and if you ever need to remove it a little heat and  you can use point of broadhead again with epoxy if you break shaft good luck on ever useing it again without alot of work to remove epoxy  :readit:
Gord

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Gordon, I have to say that I've been using epoxy on points for some years now. It's no trouble at all to get the broken piece out of the tip for re-use.
Believe me, as cheap as I am if I couldn't re-use the point I wouldn't use the glue.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
you can always tell an epoxy point though Grey..they do take quite a bit of heat LOL....and some will POP off due to the heat..but you're right you can get them back and if you're having issues with tips falling off...epoxy will be the likliest cure for it!  Learn how to shoulder points too....that'll help greatly unto itself.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
I honestly don't know what epoxy you guys are using. I use a little more heat than with hot melt but it's not all that much more. And I know what the pop is, but it doesn't happen to me when I'm taking off epoxied points.

Guy
The Blind Master

Offline ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 03:08:00 AM »
Thanks folks.  I appreciate it.

Offline FlyinCedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
Well, evidently the stuff I was referring to isnt available at 3 Rivers anymore. I cant find it on their site. Best of luck to ya
Matt 6:33-Seek the Kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything that you need.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
I have never had a point come off with epoxy. If I need to remove it, I use a candle and pliers and they come right off.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I use the stuff you get at a fishing tackle shop for rod tips, I guess its like hot melt but you can heat it up with a lighter and the stuff works great.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
I used to use hot melt and had issues in the cold weather in Michigans late season.  I have use Goat Tuff glue for the past 5 years on all my arrows, cedar and aluminum and never lost a point since unless I break the arrow.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Duco won't stand up to the impact.

Epoxy is my go to. It holds up at the MOJam target butts. If will hold there, it will hold anywhere.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©