3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My first antelope  (Read 417 times)

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
My first antelope
« on: October 04, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
BrianH and I headed out to the Western part of ND for a week starting on Sept 27th to hunt Mule Deer and Antelope. This year was the first year that I connected with an Antelope. I was able to take this buck right out in the open with no blind or ground cover that is right I said no ground cover. I was actually kneeling on a mud flat in the middle of a field in the rain and winds gusting to 35mph +. After spending an attire day in the tent because of the sideways rain and since it hadn’t let up by the following day Brian and I decided to take a drive just to do some thing. As we were driving along Brian spotted two antelope out in a field so I took the first right turn to sit and watch them. As the wind rocked the truck and the cold rain fell, Brian suggested I put a stalk on them. I decided to go for it when they started behind the only small hill between them and us. I only got half the way to the hill when they emerged from the right side. As I squatted on this mud flat I had nowhere to go or hide behind. As luck would have it they were on my right side and the wind was in my favor. Things got really interesting when a cow (a moooo cow) changed their direction of travel right back my way. As I gave my best impression of a rock they headed right to me. At one point they were less than 25 yards from me and still were not alarmed of this “rock” sitting there. As they both put their heads down to feed and I was able to take a knee and start to draw. The back one looked up right at me, I froze in half draw. He still was not concerned about that “rock”. They began to start moving to my left and now they started to quarter away from me increasing the distance. I was thinking to myself now or never so I picked a spot on the lead antelope since he never looked my way so I figured he was less alert. I started my draw and the whole time I was repeating pick a spot, pick a spot…I hit anchor and the feather touched my nose and the arrow was gone. I mentioned before the high winds from right to left and as my arrow closed the gap I saw my fletching kick left in the wind then the arrow disappeared. I thought I shot high. They took off on a slow gallop then I saw the blood start to run down the side of the lead goat and in a short 7 seconds and less than 50 yards he stumbled and fell. My first ever antelope was down and I finally could breath. I turned to look back at Brian who was still sitting in the truck less than 100 yards from me and he said I had that look on my face like can you believe what just happened. Here are some pictures of my first antelope and terrain of the area we hunted that week. I used my 62# @28 Cari-Bow Taiga with 675 grain arrow tipped with a single bevel Zwickey and had a complete pass through.

"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first antelope
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
AWESOME man, GREAT pic's, thanks for sharing! CONGRATS!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
cograts  :clapper:    :clapper:
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
:thumbsup:     :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
NICE!!!

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
Congrats on a great goat. Sounds like a great hunt. Proves that you just never know.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Way to go Tony!  Chad

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Very nice!  Congrats!
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Congrats on your antelope !!

Wonderful looking country..

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Congratulations.Nice work and a great story.You just never know if something will work till you try.You made it happen.I'm guessing,you will be back?

Offline BrianH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Tony and myself had a wonderful hunt, barring the crazy wind and rain.  We saw deer all week, a large percentage bucks.  Watching those two antelope pass right in front of Tony was amazing. I was watching through my binos, even though I was only 50 yards from the action, and was focused on the second lope.  I heard Tony shoot and saw the arrow appear to fly right over the back of the trailing lope, and I thought, oh no he shot right over his back.  I brought the binos down and looked to my left, and couldn't believe it when the lead antelope crumbled, not 50 yards from where he was shot.  Me and Tony just shared a look, neither one of us could comprehend that it just happend.  

It would have been a great hunt, but Tony closing the deal just capped it off.  I had to wonder what the chances were that we would run into two blind antelope in one location, just kidding Tony.  Great job.

BrianH

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:11:00 AM »
Congratulations!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline TTTHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Congrats.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Awsome Antelope Tony. Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
Good shootin!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Awesome story and beautiful pictures!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Congrats!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Congratulations Tony!  Well deserved.  Way to hold your cool while under pressure.  Very cool two of my stickbow friends get antelope without a blind this fall.

Glad to hear you guys were into deer the whole week.  Sounds like a great time.  I'm hoping next year I'll be able to join you guys.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Congrats Tony!
That is amazing looking country you were hunting in! Really rugged and senic. Is it public land? or Private?

Some day I'll get out west for a hunt! Til then, I'll chase KY whitetails!

Way to go!
Harry.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
Great goat!! Congrats!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©