3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tracking ???????? Please GOT HER!!!!!  (Read 354 times)

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Tracking ???????? Please GOT HER!!!!!
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I went in where my arrow was walked 10 yards found good blood walked another 20 yards to where i last seen her and there she was she was stiff so im guessing she died pretty quick but better to play it safe! anyway i took her to the butcher and went back out THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP IT WAS GOOD ADVICE!!! I got the liver and nicked one lung.

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tracking ???????? Please GOT HER!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Not long in this weather, get some buddies and your bow and get after her. Just go slow and good luck  :thumbsup:

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Was she broadside or quartering away? If it's private property, i would leave her alone til this afternoon....
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
What's the rush?  What temps are we talking about?

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
She was broadside the arrow entered her right side and im on a piece of woods that im the only one in there. do you think i got the liver? I think the liite white hair was from the arrow exit out the bottom. its 52 degrees now.

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
It's going to be 60 to 62 today it sounds like a liver hit from what he is saying. I only live 45 min west of Beaver and its already getting warm.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
i would wait...even a liver hit if you push her, you run a good risk of losing her.  Liver or gut, not pushed she won't go far and will probably be dead in her bed...let us know when you find her!   :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I left a deer (shot her on 9/22/2008) overnight in NC last year....when the temps "might" have dipped into the high 50's, overnight.

I found her at 1st light about 50yds from where I shot her.

She ate JUST FINE.

If she's dead.....she'll be just as dead if you wait.  "I" wouldn't go in there before 4:00.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Yep, give her till 4 pm, and you will find her within 200 yards.  That is if a yote, or something else doesn't push her.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
GMMAT Are you saying it was warmer than 50  and only got as cool as the high 50s or that it was colder and might have gotten as high as the high 50s.
This is something I am very curious about and how do you know for sure if it is ok to eat it?   Is smell a good indicator when something has only been dead say overnight.
I just don't really know.  I was kind of thinking he should only wait about 4 hours tops but like I said I don't have much experience with this.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I'm saying it never got LOWER than the upper 50's (if that).  My deer was out in those temps from 7:00 PM until I got her on ice at about 9:30 the next morning.  Like I said...she ate just fine.

2 things you have going for you....

1.  Those really aren't "high" temps.
2.  The deer may be alive for some time....and this will aid in preservation of the meat.

EVEN IF that deer is deader than a doornail right now....I think the meat will be FINE for quite some time.  And yes....if it's bad...you'll know it.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I agree with GMAAT.  Give it as much time as you can unless you are positive that you got liver.  The meat should be fine if you find her today, but if you push too soon you might very well lose her.  If it is stomach and she isn't dead when you go in she is likely to run and leave no blood trail at all at that point.  
Unless something else pushed her I'm betting she didn't go far at all before laying down.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks guys!! i will let you know.

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Sneak back in this afternoon to where she was standing. Take binocs with you and USE THEM. Move slowly and look for blood. At each blood sign mark it and use your binocs to search every nook and cranny ahead of you before you move on to the next sign. That way if she has not expired you might be able to locate her without disturbing her.

Best of luck to ya, and I hope to hear of your success.
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
With that low exit hole I would have to believe there would be gut material if it were a gut hit.

That makes me think liver also.She would probably be dead at least within 2 hours but probably sooner if that is the case.

I also agree though,it would be a good idea to wait as long as is practical,to follow.4:00 does sound reasonable and that would give you some daylight to get done everything you need to do.

Take a friend if you can.I like to follow the blood and have a friend stay at the last blood till I work out the next.Sometimes a small pair of binoculars can help,scanning ahead as you go.

Good luck.I'm betting everything will turn out well.Post pictures.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
what color was the blood?  dark red bright red? any other key variables  in the blood?  chunks? smell? viscosity? any bubbles?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
A deer that is hit and not scared will often walk or run until it feels safe,  typically less than 100 yards, then it will turn around in some sort of cover and watch its back trail to see what the heck just happened.  If there is nobody following, it will bed down.  That is where you will find her, unless you kick her out too soon, or she is pushed by coyotes.

Did you take a compass reading on her escape direction ?  That sometimes helps a bunch in helping find the deer with no trail.  I am guessing liver hit.
ChuckC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
what did the white hair look like? Short or long?

I agree with ChuckC about the deer bedding after a distance.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I have left many deer overnight in Fla with temps never getting below 70-75. Spoilage was never an issue. Coyotes were a couple time though. Larger game, elk etc may present a far different result as the size may prevent them from cooling down enough even with lower temps.
DonD

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Excellent news.  Way to play it safe.....and congrats on your kill/recovery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©