3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 500gr arrow for whitetails?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
500gr arrow for whitetails?
« on: October 05, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
My wife and I had twins last week, so I'm still a little in pre-season mode, because I won't be hunting until late October. LOL
But I can still shoot on my 3D range whenever I get a break.
So for fun, I'm always playing around with arrow options.

I have other heavy arrow options that fly very good out of my new 55lb Whisperstik Voodoostik, but I just tried some 29" Grizzlystick Sitka arrows with 100gr heads and they also fly great and flat at 20-25 yards.

I'm assuming the weight is fine for 15 yards and under, but any opinions about a 500gr arrow out of a 55lb longbow vs the heavier options?

With the trajectory of the 500grs, I was shooting kill zone at 22-25 yards on the 3D range. What kind of punch will a 500gr arrow at 55lbs have on a 150lb dressed whitetail at say 22 yards?

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 500gr arrow for whitetails?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mojostick:

With the trajectory of the 500grs, I was shooting kill zone at 22-25 yards on the 3D range. What kind of punch will a 500gr arrow at 55lbs have on a 150lb dressed whitetail at say 22 yards?
You shouldn't even be remotely concerned. I personally know folks who have shot through elk and moose with setups as you describe.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
1st off, Congrats on the TWO new additions to your family.

Wait a minute, your wife had twins last week, I cant believe you got time to type this thread much less worry about arrows.  My wife had twins in Aug of '05.  I think I went hunting maybe 4  times all of the '05 season.  You gotta a good woman on your hands.

With the arrow question, on a well placed shot and a sharp head, I think it will be buried in the ground.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I would say if you have good arrow flight and very sharp broadhead, you will blow through the deer, no worries.

You have a bit over 9 grains per inch of draw. If your bow is quiet and you can place the arrows in the boiler room, you have a great set up.  You did not mention your FPS, which is needed to calculate Kenitic Energy and SLUG foot pounds ( momentum pulse).  That said, it does not matter, you could kill nearly everything in North America with your set up.

Best of luck with the new borns, twins ... are you sure you will have time to hunt?!!  Good hunting anyhow!! You have more than adequate punch for 25 yards and deer sized targets.  If you do your part, the bow and arrow will do theirs!!

Bob.    ;)
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Cool, thanks. All my other arrow combo's are over 600gr, more like 650 and up because most shots for me are 8-15 yards. So I just want to make sure.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Bob,
Yes, the bow with that setup is incredibly quiet. While JD is probably better known for his recurves, his longbows are great. With hush puppies, it's as quiet as I would ever hope for.

As far as hunting with newborn twins (a boy and girl) and a 2 year old and a 4 year old? LOL I'm not going to get to hunt much. Luckily, my property is only an hour away. When the MIL comes to stay for a week in late October, I'm hoping to get out most afternoons that week. If I can get 6 afternoon sits until rifle season, I'll be lucky and happy with that.
God help the first doe that shows up 10 yards away, because an arrow is coming her way!
We do 2.5 year old bucks and up at out camp, so any nice basket 8pt will do just fine too!    ;)    :D

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
You are fine either way.  Don't worry about it...save your energy!

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Plenty good, I shoot a lighter arrow for elk and less pounds.  I mostly punch through the other side on them and shoot clean through most muleys.

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Should be no problem with the arrow.

Congratulations on the twins.  I have twin girls myself.  Now for finding time to hunt?  Good luck with that!  LOL......  I'm lucky to find 4 or 5 days ALL season to hunt anymore!  But I only complain a little!  LOL................

Aaron

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
Congrats you are a rich man.  Why are there no baby pics? I would say you should hunt with what you have and be careful not to lose too many, twins are expensive to feed and keep in diapers.  Don't be surprised if you don't want to go out as often, because you would rather be home with the little ones. My husband uses the Grizzlysticks at times as well, we have two sizes, the sitkas did not quite fly for my bow, but he says they are too expensive not to use so he claimed them for his 50 pounder.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
M wife shoots a 500 grain arrow from 45#'s and gets great penetration with multiblade heads. I think your 55# bow will be even better, don't you?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
It will more than likly be sticking in the ground on the other side of the deer.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Sounds good. I also have longer Bemans and CX Hertiage with weighted inserts and 150-200 up front that fly good and come in around 650-670grs. But I think I may try these lighter Sitka's first. I liked everything I saw.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
Will do just fine on whitetails. I've been doing it for years.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
500gr arrow for whitetails?

All day long!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Congrats, Mojo and ms. Welcome to the twin club. Been there done that 23 years ago. They are truly a blessing. There'll be plenty of time to hunt later. Give 'em all the attention they can stand right now.

500gr is great. Don't worry about that.
Romans 8:28

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Congratulations on the twins. Enjoy.  Back twenty-five years ago...well not even that far, 500 grains wasn't light.  I use 470 grain arrows and I usually pick them up after they pass through whitetails.

Offline mike hogan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
is more weight better?at some point it must have a diminishing return?say...700 grains...thoughts?

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Shot a bear in Maine last month with a 525gr arrow muzzy broadhead from a 54# longbow, had a little trouble pulling the arrow from a tree root after it passed through the bear. 500 should work great.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
mike hogan, there is a point of dimishing returns on both ends of the spectrum....heavy and light.  You have to decide where it is since there is really no scientific data to Google-up.
Even with big, dangerous game, there will be a point of dimishing returns, where too heavy becomes too slow and cumbersome.

One great thing about the sport is we have a whole lot of history to show us what works well; has worked well, and will continue to work well.
I don't hunt Asiatic Buffalo or elephant, so my 9 to 10 grains per pound of arrow weight work superbly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©