3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Hunting in Oregon  (Read 1060 times)

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Hunting in Oregon
« on: April 04, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
I would like to get as much info as possible about turkey hunting here in Oregon.  I know Douglas County has a lot of turkeys, but it is mostly private land that I have found.

Any info is appreciated.  

BTW, I have an RV (newer trailer) that I am willing to share on a hunting trip with someone who knows where they are going.  I will provide room and board, you provide some know where and how.   :readit:  

Thanks, David
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Hunting in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
ttt for the West Coast crowd

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »
Well, as Roseburg is the seat and largest city of Douglas county, and my home town.  what exactly do you want to know?

I have never seen turky on public land or private timber land open to the public for that matter in douglas county.  That however does not mean it's a no go.  people here are still hunter friendly, it is very possible to see turkeys and then simple ask the owners for permission to hunt.  Lots of folks hate the birds and are glad to have you hunt them.  The birds here really like areas of Black Oak savanah broken up by green lawns.  
I am not hunting turkeys this year as I am focused on bears and leaving for a Texas hunt with LittleFeather and Wingnut at the end of April. I would be happy to help you as best I can though.
got arrows?

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
I just had a brain storm david.  As I was saying, there are lots of people here who HATE the turkeys.  I have even had them ask me to come and poach them. (which I won't do)  Why don't you try putting an add in the News Review's classifieds?  I know it sounds a little silly, but I bet you you'd get calls from people asking you to come.  Why just yesterday there was a front page article about the wild turkeys and peoples love/hate feelings for them.
Derek

Some areas to focus looking would be, Camas Vally, Lookingglass, and Myrtle creek.
got arrows?

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Great Idea, thanks.  If you know who asked you to come and get them, I would be happy to come do your dirty work!!!(Legally of course.)
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I wish I could David, but it's really not a safe place to hunt in the spring season.  It's a small fenced property that the birds roost on.  Every year some yahoos come up from below (the property is on a hill), cross the fence and shoot up at me as I come in from the top.  they have rained shot on me two season in a row now, even have rained shot on the house.  They always run off with the birds before we can see or catch them.  I don't hunt there in spring anymore.  I will in the fall, but not the spring.  
If you do the add, make sure you say your a bowhunter.  This will get you access to places you wouldn't otherwise.   ;)
got arrows?

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Bard1, I placed the ad. Hopefully it will bear some feathers.  Thanks for your help.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Donnie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
David,

I have never hunted for turkeys but during the late hunt... I was all but tripping over the silly things!  I was hunting just outside of "Butte Falls" and it was nothing to see as many as 30 or 40 at a time.  I also have an open invitation to go sit on a fellas porch (down in Medford,) and shoot the turkeys that come into his yard.

The truth is... I would love to hunt them... but I have never done it... and am pretty much clueless as to what to do.  So... as far as GOOD information... I'm really no help to you.  But... if you find yourself down around the Medford area... drop me a line and I can take you to them.  (Maybe I can learn something while we are at it!)

Take care!

Donnie

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
we should do a Southern Oregon turkey hunt  :D

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
I am in for a Medford trip.  I don't mind a five hour ROAD TRIP!!!!  I would love to join you two down there.  Sounds like a good time.  Again, its my first time so we can trip over each other and them, together.  Sounds like a great learning opportunity.  Count me in.  I have PM'ed my email.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:30:00 AM »
Well Guys, I have lots of turky hunting experiance and a blind to hunt from, and I am a decent turky caller too.  I'd love to join in depending on the dates of the hunt.
drop me a pm!
got arrows?

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »
If it doesnt seem like too much, you can include me in on it as well.  Have a buddy down in Grants pass who has 20 or 30 run through his front yard every morning.  Not sure if 5 is a crowd, but if not drop me a pm also.

Brackshooter aka mitch

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:26:00 AM »
I would love to go along with you as well Mitch.  If not, then we can plan another hunt.  With all of us and 2 possible tags a piece, I am sure we will need to set up more than one hunt. I am available the whole season except May 10-19th.  So each of you, let me know what works for you and I will plan on it.
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
Turkeys are getting nervous...
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Good on ya, fellas.  Pics will be expected in a month, give or take  :)

Stan

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
My work is pretty flexible, mid week hunts a definate possibility.  Just say when!

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Ok, everyone.  I am having trouble keeping everyone straight in putting this together. Everyone drop me an email at my "board name" at msn.com.  If you have a location to hunt, let me know that and how many people you are open to hunting with and schedule availability.  I don't want 10 people on 1 hunt and have only a couple people get opportunities.  So maybe we will set up a few different hunts on different days at different locations and sort it out that way.  Of course we are all at the whim of the comfort level of the person with access and that will fully be accepted.  

For those that know of public land and want some people to go scouting with and do the public land hunting thing, I will try and arrange that too.

Either way guys, my purpose of this thread started selfishly, so I will take dibs on a known location if that is alright with you all.

I want us all to have a great ime and get to know some hunting buddies, but respect for peoples hunting grounds is of utmost importance.  i know they can be difficult to obtain access to.  Let me know your thoughts...
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline dposalski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
I just talked to an outfitter with access to a few ranches in the Roseburg area.  I need to confirm with him if I want to purchase access.  

If anyone is interested in splitting cost for access to the ranch, let me know.  It is less expensive for 2 turkeys than 1.  I only want one, so the other is open...
Custom BBO 50#
Samick Deer Master 50#
Browning Cobra 52#

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
David, the ranch access sounds interesting. I have been wanting to get down around Roseburg to turkey hunt anyway. If you can pass along more on this I would be interested. I think it would be fun to get a chance to do an outing with some fellow trad. archers. Give you a chance to look at some quivers too!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
David-
saw your pm, let me know the cost of the ranch as well, I will talk to my friend in Grants Pass, and see what the turkey situation is down there as well.

mitch

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©