3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Old Sharpener  (Read 299 times)

Offline gypsy

• Trad Bowhunter
Old Sharpener
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I just finished sharpening a dozen Woodsmans with a tool my dad used back in the 60's.An Ecko washer style sharpener.It did a great job of putting an edge on them ,then I ran them thru a Merco sharpener using the fine ceramic discs.Nice and sharp!Works good on knives too.I found this one on **** as they are no longer made.I'll bet some of you old school boys remember these.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Old Sharpener
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
post a pic if you can

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Yes,I used to use those and killed a good bit of stuff with broadheads sharpened on them too.The outer discs wear ot after awhile and they do more of the cutting.

I put a screw and nut for mine to spin on and that way I could rearrange the discs as the outer ones got a dull edge.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
I should also say,I used them on cheaper,shop knives but they took quite a bit of metal off.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Hey Joseph, just came across this, looking for something else. Yes, have one that I bought for the old stainless bear heads in the '80s. I used my mom's for a few years. Yes, they put a rough edge that works.

Since the guys were talking about the wheelie sharpeners for simmons heads, thought I bring this up!

Where you at in Indiana, Joseph? Good shootin, Steve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I used to use them on Bear Razorheads and the main blades on Magnum II's.If you like a burr edge,it developes one with just a few strokes.I once saw a guy take a few swipes over the Ecko sharpener,then strop the blade on his belt.Got a very keen edge.

Here is a picture.The ones we used in the '70's had two pairs of 4 wheels instead of two pairs of three.

Offline gypsy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
Frank,
I live in Hobart up in the NW corner.Used to see these in Canada in fish cleaning houses.

Joe

Offline sabas silva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Hello Gypsy. Bill Turner uses one and I located them at the local ACE hardware,I picked up the last two in stock but she said she would order more and they would be in on Wednesday. Bill uses them to set the bevel and finishes them on a stone and barber strop (bear broadheads)he gave me a short demonstration and they will shave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©