3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can minature schnauzers blood trail?  (Read 389 times)

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
can minature schnauzers blood trail?
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
well my mom just got a mini schnauzer and i was reading they were breed for hunting mice and rates and dachshund are good blood trailers, can schnauzers blood trail or be trained to trail blood. i would think most dogs can do it to an extent but how good would a schnauzer be.
thanks guys, i have never owned a blood trailing dog i have had several labs for bird dogs and this dog is supposed to be a pet but if it can trail deer and can put her to work.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: can minature schnauzers blood trail?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Not sure but if you do please post pics.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I knew a guy who had the most deer finds in NY with a Dachshund.  I'm not sure about Schnauzers though. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
If the dog has a decent nose, can follow its nose and has the drive should be fine.

To be very proficient (as in meeting the standards set in Europe for tracking dogs) it takes a lot of work and an excellent dog.

I started my beagle on blood trails and she does well.  I have not been able to give her enough exposure on real trails.  I laid back on the training, now do it once a month or so.

My plan is if I have a tracking job that may be tough is give her first crack.  It is easier for the dog to follow a "clean" trail than one that has been trampled by several guys.  I know she smells better than I do (     :biglaugh:    ) and think she will save a lot of time and heartache.

Long to short, if the pup shows the drive and ability to follow its nose,should be fine.  I know some who have gotten muts from the pound and made good blood trackers.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hunting
John
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
If we can be trained to be husband's the dog can be trained to blood trail!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2009 08:44 PM      Profile for Cyclic-Rivers   Email Cyclic-Rivers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote  I knew a guy who had the most deer finds in NY with a Dachshund. I'm not sure about Schnauzers though. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

Charlie

Offline sleepingbear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
I remember deer search in New York used a dachshund at night to find my father's deer.  It was very impressive

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©