3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guys..I am struggling  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
Guys..I am struggling
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
This is my first year dedicating to trad gear.

I sold my compound to concentrate on my trad bow right after turkey season here in Iowa.  Now I'm having thoughts that maybe I should go back to a compound.

I'm shooting well, I'm seeing deer.  I don't know why I am having these doubts.  Can someone chime in and help me out?
>>>--------->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guys..I am struggling
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
I'll go first...

Just sit and watch have bow ready. You need to stay relaxed. Just think about being in the deer woods and what you would do if you had your wheelie bow… Pick a spot, draw, anchor, and if need be loose the arrow. Everything will be fine.

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Just shoot it alot find the fun in stump shooting and the fact that you don't have to lug around a 20 pound bow.  You can actually watch the arrow fly instead of having to wonder where it went after that loud crack. Bud don't let those thoughts get to you.  You will feel so much more reward when you get that first deer with it. Just be paitent. I hear it's a virtue.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Shoot the next doe that comes into range and offers a great shot. Once you see those fletchings disappear into her you will not have those thoughts any longer.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Prove to yourself that you can kill game with your new weapon and you will never look back.Your not skeered are ya?  :rolleyes:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Altiman94,

You're shooting well, you're seeing deer...  Are you actually having doubts or are you just not used to actually hunting without the compound?  

Maybe it's just that you're trying something new and it's not comfortable with it yet.  

It sounds like maybe you haven't given it a chance yet.  You could commit to sticking with the trad bow for this season only.  To give it a true chance.  If you still feel uncomfortable after this year, pick up a compound again.

If you stick it out then harvest a deer my guess is that the satisfaction will be such that you'll lose any desire to ever go back to the compound.

Still, it's your hunt.  It's your choice.  With trad gear you really have to have the desire.  If you're constantly second guessing things, it really interferes with the traditional experience.

Best of luck no matter what you decide.  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  After over 10 years of hunting with a compound and switching over to a trad bow, its hard to get used to the adjustment.

Do you guys find hunting from the ground to be an advantage with a trad bow?
>>>--------->

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
I went through the same thing last year. I missed too may deer to recall early in the season but but the hunting buddies wouldn't let me go back to the wheels. In the end I'm having way more fun with the stick and string. Give it an entire season before going back. Hopefully you are past the "have to kill something every year" thing and can just enjoy it.

Good luck

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Just remember that trad gear is about just you and the gear. Have fun the rest will take care of itself. You have all  it take to take a deer in you or to shoot a stump it is about you having fun, That is all it is
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
If it were easy anyone could do it. There's more to hanging meat than shooting. Have a good track dog standing by if necessary. Much admire your respect & concern. Don't be "askeered". Now hill boy, that's funny.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Altiman94,

I don't find hunting from the ground to be an advantage as far as getting more critters goes.  I find it's a wonderful way to hunt, but I get busted much more than when I used to hunt treestands.  Actually this year I'm considering some time in the treestand, but I really prefer walk and sit sequences through the woods.  S-l-o-w...

todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Ah grasshopper, you lack confidence with your new tools, you are second guessing yourself. First you must become one with your bow, practice with it, eat with it and sleep with it. You must realize that you are the ultimate hunter and the bow you have chosen and extension of you. Go to the woods and become one with nature, take deep breaths, study your surroundings and the prey you seek. There is much more to hunting than killing. Once you are at one with your surroundings take the first animal that presents itself, you'll know when it's time. Once you have done this and you see the inner satisfaction gained you will lose the evil thoughts running through your mind.
hunt it

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
You can kill deer with a whole bunch of different weapons. It is not about that for me. I left the recurve and shot a compound for a couple of years in the 1980's, but the enjoyement was not there. I just purely enjoy shooting a recurve or longbow more than anything else. I love the feeling of releasing the arrow and watching the flight. And when it is at a deer and everything works -oh what a feeling!
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Be patient with it buddy, the things your used to being able to do are going to haunt you at first, like not being able to take 35yd shots.
 Just know that when you connect, you've played one of the most difficult games an archer will bestow upon themselves, hunting with a stick and string. You can do it, just give it some time and relax.  :campfire:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
It's normal to fear failure but as you read here, we all screw up.  We just don't let it bother us.  Limit you practice to very close shots and then limit you shot at a deer to a very close shot.  You may surprise yourself with the ease of killing one with your recurve.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
This year is too my 1st total trad gear.  Last year, the 1st couple times out, I couldnt leave the wheels at home.  I finally felt comfy enough in my shooting w/ the LB, and decided to take it.  Man that in itself was an experince.  The feelling of something so light in my hand.  Although, I felt at such a disadvantage.  It wasnt long, and i had my 1st miss, I was disgusted.  An small 8pt at a mere 10 yards.  I tried to stick in out(no pun intended), but I was invited to my dads hunting club in late November.  I took the gun along because it was a garantte for meat.  Ended up killing 5 deer that week and thought this isnt what I was supposed to be doing. I felt like anyone could just shoot deer. I felt the LB calling me to hunt deer.  Again, back on home turf I set out the the LB again.  Again feeling I was at a disadvantage.  Never did get another chance to pull the string back on another deer last season.

In the off season, after thinking back on the past season, I came to realize.  The LB was not a disadvatage at all, it was ME.  As soon as I put it in that perspective, it was an easy choice.  I knew I was the only thing holding me back.  If someone else can do it, I COULD TO.  I began practiceing like nobodys business.  Became confident in my shooting.  

For me now, it is about more than just killing a deer.  It is about self accomplishment.  Setting my mind to something, and not letting up until I have my 1st trad deer.

With all that said, Only YOU know what it is about for YOU.  If you want to kill deer then do what ever means neccessary. And you have accomplished your goal.  If it is about the chanllage of the trad gear, do NOT talk youself out of it.  Keep at it and satisfaction will eventully come.  

I wish the best of luck to you.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
I started shooting trad about five years ago, Went out and bought a mathews and sank a load of money in it to turkey hunt about three years ago. Shot the wheelie one season and regretted even spending the money on a compound everytime i shot it, It's just to easy with a wheelie bow for me anyway and I just didn't like shooting anymore. SOLD IT got back into trad and ain't never looking back. Can't wait to kill my first turkey with trad gear. I took a nice little three pointer with a longbow the first year I hunted with it and it was better than any I've ever taken.
Had a dandy in at 9 or 10 yards saturday and just didn't get a good shot opportunity but man it was a rush. I never would of let him get that close with a wheelie bow and I would of taken a shot (had plenty of those out to 30 yards) and probably stuck him but he was close enough I could smell him since the wind was in my favor. It's all good though I got another chance of seeing him again and quite possibly a better buck either way it'll be great season.
 Stick it out you won't regret it.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
I started my trad ways 2 years ago. Haven't had many trad distant opportunities so far. Just a few weeks ago my wife and I went to New Brunswick on a fall archery bear hunt. I shot almost EVERYDAY since spring to get ready for this hunt. 3D bear target at a barrel 15 yards out of a treestand, with broadheads only. Second night of our hunt( with my wife videoing the whole thing) I shoot over a bear by less than an inch. Got hair. Third night, exactly same bear same result. UUG! Forth night same bear, this time I hit the bear exactly were I aim, exactly! A bears heart is a little higher and farther back than a whitetail's. Trail bear for 200yds. before blood completely vanishes. 4 hours of tracking through some of the nastiest stuff ever. Get back to the lodge and my wife asks - why don't you use someone elses compound, it would be alot easier? My reply was - I,ve challenged myself not so it was easier! I have already sent my deposit in for next year. I Will Not Be Denied My Original Goal! Neither should you!
GLENN

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 12:31:00 AM »
Grab some of our antlerless tags and go to town.  It's a great way to get some good experience and meat for the pot.  Somebody mentioned about getting that first kill.......right, you won't look back!

Good luck!
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Bro, once you harvest one with trad gear you will be enlightened.  I'm just assuming you have taken deer before so set aside your worries and just do it man.  I can just about gaurantee you that you will be way more proud of your first trad kill than your biggest buck ever.  Even a doe.  Don't let doubt creep into your mind.  You can do this and the equipment is totally adequate for taking game.  Trust yourself and your bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©