3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Guys..I am struggling  (Read 1492 times)

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Guys..I am struggling
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Go small game hunting.  Once you kill a few small critters, a big one like a deer will seem easy.

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I have taken several people hunting with me over the years, I think for me the biggest thing to get over is the fear of failing to hit or worse yet wounding something, I have to say out here where I do my hunting I have seen as many misses with compounds as trad bows. I have watched guys thats can shoot lights out with compounds miss shots that should never have been missed, Its exciting and gives everyone the shakes thats what its all about. Just read Freds field notes or simular material and you,ll find out even our heros missed alot also, Look at it this way it makes the season longer.

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
Dan, I just read Bows on the Little Delta and found the stories about Fred and Glenn emptying their quivers at game to be quite fascinating.  Probably not the type of stories that make bowhunters look great to the anti types but they were true nonetheless.

I won't say that I never missed or wounded game with a compound but I can honestly say that it's been years since I've done either and I typically take at least one, if not two deer per year with a bow.  I have to admit to being a bit concerned about wounding one.  Misses I can live with, wounding animals would be much harder to get over.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I understand completely. To me it’s always a good thing when a man questions his skill level before he lets loose any projectile. I am shooting well also but with my compound I am shooting better. I have hunted with many people that lack respect for the game they hunt. I know folks that shoot their rifles once during hunting season, bow hunters that throw an arrow with a wheel bow the day before a hunt and think all is well with the world. I understand the man who has a deep respect for that which he hunts and wants to do things right. I am new to the sport and was not willing to hunt this year with my traditional bow. I traveled to New Mexico this year with my wheel bow because I know it well. Hopefully next year after some more stump shooting and local hog hunts I'll let loose a heavy stick from my longbow at Mr. Wapiti.

There will still be missed shots and lost game, but I respect that which I hunt.

I understand, do it when U feel right about it and have a bunch of fun in the process………………………………….
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
Or is it just a fear of not filling a tag?  You don't need anyone to justify how you hunt...just use the compound if you want to.  Of course you can shoot better with a machine that has a big let-off, sights and release...that should be a given.  But the sport itself is bigger than that.

How the hunt progresses is more important to me than what's in the bed of the pickup on the way home.  I don't idolize big antlers, and I don't care what the guys think about how I hunt or what I hunt with.  I'm comfortable with me and I use recurves and longbows because I love em.  If I didn't, I would use something easier to use to kill a deer.  

My bows challenge me to be a better hunter and make closer shots.  That doesn't make me better, but it does make me different....and it keeps me going.

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I've found that bringing several judo tipped arrows with when I go deer hunting and shooting at leaves, stumps, squirrels, an chipmunks helps build my confidence and makes it much more fun. Just don't scare deer when you do it   :bigsmyl:
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Shoot 3D targets all the time. Stay away from paper or just block targets, it isn't the same. I also agree with taking a blunt into the woods and shoot something(paper cup etc..) before going in. Just a confidence boost.

My 2 cents,
Charlie

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I'm not going to slam wheel bows like most do on here.I shoot one in addition to my trad bows because I love archery in all it's forms.I may end up taking it out for a go this season or maybe not.

My advice to you is this-
I believe it was the "advice from the old timers" thread(I THINK) where one of them said,"take shots at animals."

This is my first year back to trad after a little break.I picked the bow back up in January and practiced daily (Not every other day,EVERY day unless it was downpouring or too dark).Shot fp's,bh's, varying angles,distances,kneeling,even trying reverse cant and over the back like Terry showed us.I have a treestand set up in the yard for practice too as that's mainly where I hunt out of across the road.

Once small game seasons came in I took shots at game,taking some in the process.I wanted to turkey hunt this past spring with the curve but was 50/50 on my shooting skills at that point.Next season I have 110% confidence in myself.

This I can tell you from experience.If you've practiced form,release,and picking a spot correctly,and you have reasonable confidence in hitting your target,your concentration when shooting at a live animal is different.You'll be amazed how you do things automaticaly using your subconcience when your mind is 200% in the game and the pressure is on.

It's been said on here archery is 10% physical and 90% mental.VERY true.I find I get complacent shooting at foam constantly.You have a very different mindset when aiming on a live animal.

I had a lot of time to think on stand before I had a shot opportunity this year.Basically I told myself I will take the first good shot opportunity I get on the first legal deer that is in front of me.If it goes perfect I will live with it,and if I screw it up and wound I will live with it and do my best to make a recovery.

Well,two days into our season in VT I got my chance,and I air mailed that arrow right to the spot I picked.She went about 40 yards and death rolled.

A lot of guys miss/wound because they doubt their gear,aren't focused at the time of the shot,or they simply are unwilling to kill(although they won't admit this one).

The confidence you get from making a kill with your gear only comes from just that.You can shoot at foam all day long but you will only be to a certain level of it.

The best thing I can tell you is-

Just do it....But only you can make yourself do it.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Remember ever sence the bow was invented.People have live off it.And with out a climber.I've bow hunted for 30 years 20 with a selfbow the last 5 off the ground.I kill bucks each year.
  You have to pick your hunting sites better and relie on the wind more.But it's just something about being on the ground at 15 yards with a buck moving by.
  You may not beleive it but it gets easer each year you hunt.But at the same time more it makes you more humble and gradfieing.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I'm glad for all of the encouragement.  IN fact today I went to the bow shops and nothing peaked my interest.  Just not willing to spend over $900 on a compound again.  I think I will stick to the recurve this year and try hunting more out of my ground blind set on my land.

I'd rather shoot a deer (even a small doe) with my recurve on my own land than a big buck with a compound.  I just need to stick with it.  

I also think maybe next year ill buy a new bow.  Currently i am using a hoyt gamemaster (no sights or elevated rests), but id like to have a nice wood risered takedown- ive been eyeing the bob lee hunter.
>>>--------->

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Man you do not know how much I went through that same feeling! I had grown up such a rifle hunter (shooting iron sights). Then while still shooting rifle I went to shooting compound (w/sights), then I was offered a recurve to try by  an old man (retired Capt from an FD I later worked for!). The recurve got me hooked into shooting trad.
While good in the back yard (I felt total confidence in hitting a target at 20 yards) for some reason I felt I should be responsible and have some sort of sighting system when shooting a breathing creature? I debated back and forth for awhile - it is just a "sights" mentality??

Wow, was I so amazed how predatory a trad bow makes you - close in, concentrated, just kill him, thoughts. And when you get that first shot and instincts take over! well - no better feelin other then a your childrens accomplishments.

Keep after it,

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Like Todd Smith said Quote; (Are you actually having doubts or are you just not used to actually hunting without the compound?)
I can relate with that starting from in the beginning, then I realized, I was doing the work. Not the bow. I mean I had to aim I had to judge I was the one to blame I had the confidence. The Bow was not doing the work no sights, no kisser button, no peep sight. It was all me, that is why I stopped shooting my bow with training wheels on it. You have your reasons, find what they are and build the confidence. Man when it comes together you will be elated. I wish you luck.
Oh buy the way, I sold my training bow and will never go back. But keep in mind my friend, you are no less a predator with a compound bow than with a recurve, longbow. I hope you find what you are looking for. Best wishes.
Bruce
  :campfire:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
WOW...I had these same thoughts a couple of days ago when I missed a small buck.  Then I got the encouragement I needed from a very unlikely source...my compound carrying buddy.

I missed a deer....ONE DEER; and I was ready to go back.   :archer:  

I could be crazy...I dont know.  Just my thoughts.
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
ya stick with it Josh, and keep us posted     :wavey:  

whats with the word "harvest" here in the states?
Crops are "harvested"
Deer are "Killed"
is that just a politically correct sounding thing?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Don't be afriad to shoot a small deer for your first. Get a good book or dvd on instinctive shooting. Also remeber to keep in mind that deer often jump the string, aim for the lower third of the chest but don't aim any lower.
Make sure your arrows are well tuned and that your broadheads fly well. Also don't waste all your time in the early season, make sure to leave some time and energy for the rut.
Good luck and have confidence.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
The one who has the most fun wins!

There are many ways to judge how successful a hunt is.

It is very difficult to close the deal with a stickbow. As the difficulty rises, so does the satisfaction.

As strange as it is, it is the "struggle" that we all strive for. The more "struggle" you invite, the more it pays you back.

My deer rifles gather dust...not enough "struggle".  :D

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
First, it is great that you have ethics in your abilities to harvest the game.  Second, if you have put the time in shooting and setting up your traditional tackle, Relax!!!  For most people I end up getting to switch and myself, there is more to the hunt than the kill.  You will do fine, we all have our doubts, but remember that there has been millions of animals all over the world harvested with this tackle and you will soon be one.  Harvest the first animal you can with is to build confidance.  Mine was the 4th squirrel I shot at.  I have like many missed some game, but learned alot, have no doubt that your tackle with a razor sharp broadhead WILL bring down your prey.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Just a small update.  I took the recurve and headed out to one of my stands last night after work.  About 630 a nice doe came down my trail and offered a shot at 15 yards.  I took the shot and trailed her for over 6 hours until 1 A.M.

We followed the blood trail, but it was very sparse.  It went over a mile then was lost.  I had about 7" of penetration but was unable to see where the shot was on her body.  I did find the rest of the arrow, so I'm hoping she lives to see another day.

Just part of the game, but i hate losing an animal.
>>>--------->

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
This is my fourth season trad only, the first year all my buddies thought I was nuts, I'm the one laughing now. I have had just as good if not better success with trad if not for just the simple fact that it is cooler and I put more effort into it. Just hang in there and enjoy, you'll look back and laugh at yourself for even having doubts.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Holy cow George and Biggie said it.  I always cringe a little when I see somebody say sell the compound.  It is all about you and what makes you happy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©