3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Things others missed  (Read 449 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Things others missed
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Got permission to hunt a new farm, so yesterday I slipped out of work early enough to still hunt a drainage/block of timber on it to get my bearings. Using a dry creek for stealth and inching slow with an arrow nocked I notice movement up ahead. To my amazement there are 2 young bobcats playing and rolling like kittens at 25 yards. They are protected here in Illinois so I just got the show of my life! They never knew I was there until I tried to fish my camera out of my pack. They bounded off in a flash. I would have never seen that if I didn't hunt with tradtional tackle. I move slower, soak in more, and enjoy my jaunts more with my recurve in my hand. Just wanted to share that!
Mike Davenport

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Things others missed
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Great story! Thanks for sharing. I love it when I get blessed with stuff like that. I know you were too.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Bobcats are rare to see. One of Nature's many surprise encounters found only in the woods. Good story.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
had a similar thing happen to me the other day while hunting squirrels. iwas trying for position on a squirrel and so was a grey fox! neither of us got it.
also watch a pileated woodpecker the other nite.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
I once saw a bobcat put a stalk on three deer.  He made it with in 15 yards.  Thats a sight I will never forget.  After he spoked the deer off, I looks back at him and he was eyeballing me.  :scared:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
It is always nice to see cats up close.You know your doing something right when you fool there senses.I know I have only seen few during the day,And not in the headlights of my truck.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
He was probably blaming YOU for HIS botched hunt, Michael!    :saywhat:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
One of the more comical things that I've witnessed while hunting happened a few years ago. I was sitting in my tree stand on a very slow hunting day when my attention was drawn to a couple of grey squirrels playing on the ground. One of them was chasing the other all over the place, through the brush, up and down trees, etc.

Their antics eventually brought them to a large tree right in front of me and they proceeded to run around the base and eventually up it to a level of about 20 feet above my head (my stand was 16 ft up)when the one being chased ran out a branch a leaped to the tree I was in. Well of course the one doing the chasing followed suit...only it missed the branch and gravity took over. Now I'm not real certain but when that little tree rat was heading to earth not 8 feet in front of me it had that "OH #%@*" look in it's eyes. It hit the ground with a very audible THUNK and lay there for several minutes before staggering to it's feet and waddling off...just a little bit sideways.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
A few years ago I had the pleasure of having a full grown bobcat walk to within ten yards of me. It had a gray squirrel in its mouth and just sit on a log right behind me for a minute or so.
I had my camera with me but didn't want to move to get it out of my pack.  Those are precious moments.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I've seen two fox kits do the same thing in a field.  I was able to walk right to them and walk by on the log they were playing next to.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Very cool! What county???? Hap

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by misfire:
One of the more comical things that I've witnessed while hunting happened a few years ago. I was sitting in my tree stand on a very slow hunting day when my attention was drawn to a couple of grey squirrels playing on the ground. One of them was chasing the other all over the place, through the brush, up and down trees, etc.

Their antics eventually brought them to a large tree right in front of me and they proceeded to run around the base and eventually up it to a level of about 20 feet above my head (my stand was 16 ft up)when the one being chased ran out a branch a leaped to the tree I was in. Well of course the one doing the chasing followed suit...only it missed the branch and gravity took over. Now I'm not real certain but when that little tree rat was heading to earth not 8 feet in front of me it had that "OH #%@*" look in it's eyes. It hit the ground with a very audible THUNK and lay there for several minutes before staggering to it's feet and waddling off...just a little bit sideways.
:thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
I was canoeing down a very heavily brushed canal in NC years ago and one jumped into the water and swam to the other side in front of my canoe.  He stood on the bank not more that 5 yards from us and shook like a dog.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline oddan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
What county are you in? I am in Wayne county and have heard them last year. I was told they will climb a tree and drop down on top of Turkeys to kill them. I really hate cats of any kind and don't want to see them around my place.
Out Door Dan

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
We ride horses and camp out of a campground in Eddyville,Pope Co. Over Labor Day weekend we saw three different cats in the Lusk Creek area.
I think one was a tom laying in the sun on a rock ledge.The other two were females with kittens trailing them.
They don't seem to worried about us. I don't know how bad they are hurting the game population.Still see just as many Turkeys and Deer.Over the July 4th holiday I did help an older gentleman haul a dead coonhound pup out of the woods.Got out and didn't fair to well.It was real torn up by whatever got it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©