3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dyeing goose feathers?  (Read 512 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
dyeing goose feathers?
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
My boy has been getting a lot of geese here in VT. I have save the wing tip feathers for fletching. Anyone know how to dye them? They are black, need them white or red.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: dyeing goose feathers?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Why? You can get (can't find them now) the wraps of feathers that goes between the nock & the fletching to help you see the arrow in flight. PatB has them on one of his arrows in the thread 2 feather fletching.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
I fletch a lot of goose feathers but don't dye them.  Jerry Brumm of Great Nothern had a bunch at kzoo a couple of years back at a seminar that he had ground and dyed.  Red dye turned out to be maroon and so on.  They don't dye very well because of the oil in the feather.  He did try to beach some too to make them white and they would just disintegrate. Gotta like them the way they are.  dean
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
They're too dark to begin with to take a good color. Tell your boy to lay some some snow geese on the ground when they start moving thru! I've never seen a snow goose up close so I'm not sure how much black are on there primaries?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I have piles of snow goose feathers that a goose hunter gave me last fall.  They are much smaller than grey goose and black in color.  Won't dye at all. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I agree with the above.  Even the domestic white geese have such a tight web and oily feather that they don't dye well.

To get a good match and more visibilty if that is what you want - try to find some domestic whites and use them as cock or hen as you choose for contrast.

In general, I love the performance of goose feather.  The only thing better is Peacock wing - and they are even harder to get.

Domestic turkey is the standard due to supply and demand - but they are not the 'top of the line'  

Also as was said, I would be inclined to use a bright crown dip if visibilty in flight was the issue.

I am an old bugger and set in my ways so I don't like wraps worth a hoot!  Same reason I don't use die cuts - only full length burned.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
All good advice from above, the best thing about goose feathers is their water resistance, dying will break that down. A rabbit fur tracer will help you see arrow flight if that is a problem.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©