3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Encounter - do I have an new friend?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Encounter - do I have an new friend?
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Hi all - I wanted to share an encounter I had in Bedford county Pa this past Saturday and see if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

So, I hiked into my stand right about daybreak opening morning. I waited until I could see so I could still hunt my way in. I have a small piece of property that runs from the road to the top of the mountain and I'm bordered by my buddies land who basically owns the rest of the mountain. On top I have two OLD apple trees, some oaks (without acorns this year....) and I've planted a couple feed patches for the game.

I have a ladder stand in an old oak tree near the apple trees that I normally hunt from but in clearing the food plots I pushed brush together and cleared out an area in which to ground hunt, right in the middle of the pile. Prior to Saturday I had cut some shooting lanes and placed a swivel stool in the brush pile so it would be there when I arrived.

So I arrive at the blind uneventfully, sit down on the stool and man did it squeak. I messed with it a few minutes then figured I'd better head to the ladder stand and start carrying my Niff-T-Seat for any future blind hunts.

I walked over to the ladder and without a glove on my non-shooting hand, I grabbed the rungs and ascended the stand. I hung my backpack, sat down and nocked an arrow.

The breeze was behind me and the apple trees are about 3:00 from me as are the fields where the deer would be coming from - perfect setup.

As soon as I settled, I glanced over my shoulder toward the trail that I had walked in on and here comes a black bear. Now we have feeders and trail cameras out from the end of hunting season until August and the bears have been just tearing them apart. So this sighting, although rare, wasn't completely unexpected.

However the fact he was following the exact trail I had just traveled in on was. I kept thinking he has to smell me, I just walked there....

Anyway he proceeded to come toward me and would cross about 10 steps in front of me - exactly the direction the air currents were blowing. As he hit my scent line, I expected him to bolt out of there as only a bear can do.

But to my surprise as soon as he hits my scent line - what does he he do, but throw his nose in the air, sniff a few times and then start walking right toward me!

I'm thinking to myself - you have to be kidding me. So he comes RIGHT to my ladder stand and sniffs the rungs that I just used to climb up (gloveless)! I'm positive he'll run now.

Then he looks up and we make eye contact. As we all know that's a big hunting no/no. So he'll definitely run now right? Nope...instead he walks over to the tree my ladder is leaning against and stands up. Now I'm thinking - nfw, he's not really going to do this is he????

As quick as the thought hits my head - he wraps his arms around the base of the tree and starts coming up to join me!!!

So I quickly stand up and do what every stealth like hunter would do ---- I say "I don't think so - get out of here!!!"....pretty thought provoking huh - Fred would have been proud!

So naturally he runs off -- about 3 steps -- then turns around and looks up at me again. He then starts coming back to the stand and being cool like I am....I ask him if he's deaf?

So he looks up at me turns a bit and walks over to the apple tree and starts eating. Now he stays there for approximately 30 minutes taking apples in his mouth and walking over to a fallen tree, walking on the log like in a video and eats them. A couple of times he looks like he's dancing as he's rubbing his rear-end against the tree. This is all happening at 10-15 yards.

So now I'm thinking - I'll never see a deer while he's hanging out here, so I politely ask him if he's going to eat all the apples or if he plans to leave any for the deer. He looks up and keeps eating (so I guess I have my answer).

About another 15 minutes go by so I politely ask him to leave. He doesn't even look up! So I say "Hey - I'm talking to you!!!" - loud enough that if anyone else was in the woods they'd think I lost my mind.

His only reaction was to glance up at me, then lean over and grab another apple. That's when he glanced back one more time (almost in defiance...) and saunters down the back side of the mountain.

Now my question is - has this bear become so acclimated to people that he's not afraid of us at all? Is that normal? I'm wondering if he associates people with a free meal (no not eating us but all that we leave behind --- at least I hope).

Now he wasn't real old but he wasn't a cub either. He was actually fair sized for that area - I'd guess around 200 lbs, so I'd think he'd been exposed to people enough to be somewhat alarmed by us.

I know it sounds odd but I really feel like he was trailing or looking for me. Came down the path, caught my scent line, sniffed my ladder rung, made eye contact, didn't run when I spoke. I don't have a lot of experiences with bears to draw from but it seemed real odd to me. Has anyone else ever had something similar happen?

Now the cool thing is - this season is the first time I've decided to keep a journal. My first entry is definitely a keeper!!!

I'm very interested in the others opinions. Thx.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Encounter - do I have an new friend?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:07:00 PM »
I once had a dog follow my scent trail i had put down and when he got to the bottom of the tree he just started barking like crazy.   :biglaugh:

Man that must have freaked you out, i think i would start carrying a BIG pistol on my hip.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
I guess bear season isn't open yet. To bad, you could have had a nice trophy!!! Good story...
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Perhaps you have settled into his territory. Apples are a tasty treat.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Bears really get hammered in PA during the season. If he keeps that up, he'll be a rug by this time next year.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
It could be he associates your scent with the feeders, you=food.  A bear that's lost his fear of man can be a dangerous thing.  I'd take him out when bear season opens.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Yep now that is a bear ripe for the picking.  When does the bear season open?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Can you say rubber blunt?   :eek:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
He was probably letting you know you forgot to drop off the bags of stale jelly doughnuts like those other nice hunters have been dropping off!!!
Black Widow MAII 60" 60lb@28

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Bow season for bears is mid-November. I've never bought a license as they're usually out of the area by then - he's the first one I've seen during hunting season. However, if he continues to visit I'll definitely purchase one.

And he's right, as soon as the first frost hits those apples up there get real tasty!

I have to wonder how he'd have reacted if I stayed on the ground (like I plan to do this weekend). Probably more fun would to have seen how I'd have reacted   :)

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I'm no bear expert, but a bear that isn't afraid of me would concern me a little.   :scared:
Molon labe

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Call Bear Grills from Man vs Wild and let him come put a choke hold on him.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Did ya here him say bring ur own damn apples next time!   :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by sou-pawbowhunter:
I'm no bear expert, but a bear that isn't afraid of me would concern me a little.    :scared:  
Same here.  This usually (not always) only happens when there is little or no hunting pressure.  

Black bears that will walk up to you "just out of curiosity" will also slap you upside your head "just out of curiosity".

Buy a tag, pattern the bear, carry a sidearm for backup (if legal in your area).  A bear like that can be a hazard to others.

My 2c.

Nate
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Buddy....I'm not laughing at ya, I'm laughing with ya. Some of the things we bowhunters encounter can be nothing short of comical at times.

Now my question is - has this bear become so acclimated to people that he's not afraid of us at all? Is that normal? I'm wondering if he associates people with a free meal (no not eating us but all that we leave behind --- at least I hope).

I'd lay money on that bear being fed regularly at nearby camps or houses. Sounds like he's lost his fear of humans, and the fact that he trailed you to the food tells me that he associates human scent with food. These kind of bears scare me. Maybe a blunt in the backside would teach him a lesson. Maybe not.

At any rate, be thankful for that squeeky seat.  :D
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I had a really strange bear encounter last night. I've never had a bear that wouldn't run off. I think this bear has been hand fed.

At 4pm, 4 adult bears came to feed on the bench I was watching. I watched them for an hour pushing and shoving each other around and eating acorns. At 5pm, I figured I might as well end the afternoon early, and tried shooing the bears off. 2 of them ran off, but the other two wouldn't budge. Below are pictures of my
thermos after I beaned one of the bears, which turned aggressive and started
up my tree as I was coming down, in the noggin with it, and he carried it off 20 yards and
started chewing on it. He dropped it and walked off, and I thought he was
gone for good. But this bear was totally unafraid of me and circled me all
the way back to the truck. It charged me 7 times, coming within 15 yards
each time. If I would have had a handgun instead of my 48 pound stickbow, I
would have shot him because I was truly in fear for my life.

Needless to say, my bowhunting is over until I secure a handgun and permit.

Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
Dang guys just get a bear tag.  You'll never see another one in the woods.  LOL

They can be a little concerning at times.  Used to run a bear outfit in Washington back in the day and we had a lot of storys to tell about close encounters of the bear kind.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I hunt Florida where we can hunt over feeders and there is no bear season.  We are seeing more and more bears. This past week I had 3 hunts interrupted by the same bear. First he chased off a hog, second 2 does and the third which really got to me was a fine 10 point coming in.
Was a very windy day, the creaking you will hear is the stand.  first min is of me waiting for hog to get into position rest of the vid is bear. The hog is out at about 30 yards at the start. I was concentrating on the hog I never saw the bear come in. It was only after the hog took off,I had turned off camera and returned my attention back that I noticed the bear.  

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Great video. I'm sick of bears. I totaled our car on one in April, and counting last nights encounter, we've seen 34 bears since. Years past, we were lucky to see a single bear in a years time.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Hopefully it is just a bear that is being fed/acclimated to humans. Most of the black attacks happen in remote areas and from what I have read a "wilderness bear" that will approach you very calmly without hesitation is a dangerous bear. Black bears SHOULD startle easily and be very tentative when approaching a bait sight! I've hunted them for years and I only had one bear that spotted me from a distance and proceeded to quietly walk right up to my 5 ft. high stand without a moment's hesitation! Anything that startled it or attempted to come in was charged with full sound and fury! While it wasn't the rug I wanted, it was getting dark and I didn't like his attitude,      :D     so I decided to take him.

Bowdoc and I encountered one this past summer while baiting and it just stayed on the bait while we were approaching then slowly walked off. An article after the woman was attacked up there this September stated that a history of bad weather had led to a scarcity of food and a lot of bold bear sightings.

The odds of an attack are still very low. I'm just saying if he keeps it up or even gets more familiar-shoot him!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/09/21/bear-attack-caught-latuque.html
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©