3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Encounter - do I have an new friend?  (Read 840 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Encounter - do I have an new friend?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I had a small black bear start to climb a tree with me years back while baiting for spring bears. This was a 'wilderness bear', and when he recognized what he was doing, he left in a big hurry. Bears that are habituated to humans can spell trouble; he sounds ripe for becoming a bear rug.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I have had bear tracks over mine as if they followed them out of curiosity. I have seen plenty of video of bear at bait stations having behavor like that. Maybe your getting what is happening here in utah. Bears sightings that appear where they have not been bear traditionaly and have big blue x's on them? Fish and game will not admit were the bear come from. They may not accually know ether. Most think that they are troubled bear from yellowstone but no one seems to know.  After almost stepping on a few and loosing a few deer and elk to them I started putting in for tags. They are sure fun to hunt though.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
This is a remote bear. Thing is, the camp next door to me showed me pictures of friends of theirs that have a camp about a mile from where my bear incident occured. The pictures were from this past summer, and showed a group of bears being fed pastries that were thrown from their back porch. I'm convinced that this bear is one of those bears. The entire scenario just makes me think that this bear thought he was going to get fed and when he didn't, he pushed the envelope.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
DO NOT TAKE THAT BEAR LIGHTLY...very bad situation you have here.ever think that bear may have been coming up to see how you taste? contact your fish and game office and see what they can do to remove it or maybe give you a problem bear permit.i've been chased by a blackie when i was a kid,scared me half to death and almost kept me outta the woods permanent. a bear not afraid is very dangerous,might be cute but that sob would eat you in a second.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Get a camera and more apples. Oh yea, a permit too.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
If this young bear was fed at the camp, he could have been run out of that area by an older bear.  These bears usually are not the predatory ones that we hear about that stalk and kill people. Human fed bears are a habituated pain the butt for those that have to deal with them.  In parks and wilderness areas, a human habituated bear is a dead bear, as they always overstay their welcome.

Offline Fishnhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
wow those are some wild stories.  I have never had that happen with bear but I did have a weird incident occur with a bobcat awhile back.  It came up to me and kept getting closer until it was 3 feet away...arms distance.  I was prone, head to toe in camo and the cat didnt seem to  know what I was.  It would not leave!  I dont hunt predators - bears or cats for that matter but it was cool that he came so close and stayed so long.  After awhile I did think he might attack me, possibly not knowing what I was. He eventually figured out I was not a meal and he left.  Its weird to look into the eyes of a wild animal at that range.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
So today I decide that I've calmed down enough to go get my stand. Dang bear decided to go back and eat the seat of my Summit!!!!   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:      :banghead:      :banghead:  

Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©