3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2011 Elk Hunt  (Read 282 times)

Offline osuda

• Trad Bowhunter
2011 Elk Hunt
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I would like to plan an Elk Hunt in Colorado. Looking for the most economical way, anyone have suggestions for a public land hunt? This would be my first.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2011 Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I would suggest trying to apply for a limited unit that has had a good archery success rate over the last several years (look on the Colorado Division of Wildlife website under big game and then statistics for lots of info on the individual units).  Look for a big game unit that has good success (anything above 20%) but doesn't take any preference points to get a tag.  The reason you want to get a limited unit tag (as opposed to an "over-the-counter" tag) is that it will limit the # of hunters in that unit.  Some of the over-the-counter units are crazy busy with hunters and ATVs, etc.  Then you will need to apply (you can also do that on line) around the first of April (2011).  I don't know if PA requires you to have a hunter's education certificate, but Colorado does, so get it if you don't have it.  The firearms course or the bowhunting course will work for an archery tag here.  Usually, the rut is better toward the end of the archery season in most places of Colorado, so if you have limited time, I would suggest planning your trip toward the end of the season.  Get a cow call.  I rarely bugle, but cow calls will bring in the bulls when the rut's going strong.  Shoot heavy arrows for elk (600+ gr.) but a heavy bow isn't necessary.  I've put heavy arrows completely through big elk out to 40 yds. with a 50# recurve (an old slow recurve).  Get in shape, and when you think you're in shape, get in better shape.  Plan on not hunting too hard the first few days as your body adjust to the elevation (unless you find a spot where the elk are hanging out @ just 5,000 feet).  Hope this helps and have fun planning.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©