3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Osage as a Limb Core  (Read 575 times)

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
Osage as a Limb Core
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
How is Osage as a core wood for limbs.  Is it smooth?  Thanks.  How does it compare to red elm limbs or amberboo?  Thanks for any input.  Ken

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Osage as a Limb Core
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
I have a Wapiti with Osage cores. It's as smooth and quick a any other limb core material I have shot.

Billy

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
I like osage for a limb core or for limbs period. I have had no trouble with osage and it's a very tough and quiet limb wood.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
Have to agree with Lost Creek...

Osage is a GREAT core wood, very stable, quiet and fast. Great to work with, easy to grind.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
I'm gonna go against everybody above me  :)

The same properties that make osage a great selfbow wood - dense and stiff - aren't the best properties for a glass bow, where you want a light and stiff core.  

Osage cored limbs will be heavier than elm or maple limbs of a similar design.  There's no way around it.  It's heavier and the average piece isn't any stiffer.  More mass to move in the limbs = lower performance.

The two bows I've owned/shot with osage cores were noticably slower than their counterparts (I had maple cored bows from the same bowyers).  One was still a nice bow to shoot, but the other was a bit shocky.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
What do you think of hickory cores Jeremy?  Against conventional wisdom, it makes an awesome core.  Me thinks design trumps materials in this case.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
I haven't shot one with hickory cores.  Wanna send me matching bows: hickory and boo cores to test?  :D  LOL!

The selfbows I've shot out of hickory were nice if they were kept in the hotbox to keep 'em dry.  If allowed to equilibrate with the high humidity they were sluggish dogs.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I have a Osage limbed recurve that I really like. That being said, the bows that I have that are around the same specs. that have bamboo cores out perform the osage hands down. I guess it all depends on what your looking for in performance.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I'm with Jeremy on this.  I have an all osage lams, glass, r/d longbow. It was my first custom bow ever. It's a beauty, shoots hard, not quick, and not the smoothest drawing.

Yes it is tough and forgiving wood! That's why I don't think it works good with glass. It can do just find all by itself. That's why I love my osage selfbows!

If for looks, go with a veneer of osage, and use a core of red elm, boo, or even sassafrass. It does probably better in a recurve, because of wider, thinner lams, but in a deep core, narrow limbed bow, I wouldn't. Good shootin, Steve

Offline Blasterjdh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
Man I must say this -- and I know its been said already but -- I gain a wealth of information from this site.... I read these posts from all the experts and I am able to understand at least in part the reasoning behind their comments/suggestions....

I look forward to my education each and every day I am able to read from this forum...

Waiting for my next lesson ---   :coffee:
EOD Motto: Initial Success or Total Failure

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I had a guy have a bow built built for him with osage and bamboo - two lams osage over a taper of bamboo (center). It was built and a near identical was built of all osage. Speed wise they were very close (within a few FPS). Performance wise in visual, felt shock, arrow consistancy - zero difference. The bows were not built to test the differences - so i did not do lots of testing. However i don't agree with being slow due to higher limb mass - if they are slower, it is not much and being smooth? - oh yeah osage cores are smooth...

I have shot one longbow (66") hill style made of all osage lam's and it was a pleasure to shoot, it seemed to hit targets HARD compared to other wood types, but that may have been perception as well.

Osage is a GREAT core wood! Apex, i had never thought of hickory laminates.... Sounds interesting. Gonna have to try them. I have done hickory backed hickorys and boo backed hickorys forever, but never thought of hickory as a laminate type wood....

Dave

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Osage is my all time favorite wood whether it be in the limb cores, riser or lamination! Just can't beat its beauty and functionality. Personal view only of course.   :bigsmyl:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©