3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Str8Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
New skinny string from SBD... impressive results
« on: October 07, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
I recently decided to try a skinny string for my hunting bow. I ordered a string from SBD bowstrings off the Sponsor's Classifieds. They were really easy to deal with. Excellent service and the turnaround was really fast. I haven't ever used a skinny string before so I was concerned about the quality of the loops, roundness of the string and the serving being done well. No need for concern, though, their quality is very, very good.

The bow I'm shooting has been equipped with both a 14 str. dacron and 15 str. TS+ string. Dacron was slightly quieter than the TS+ and 2-3 fps slower. This new skinny string, an 8 str. D97, is quieter than the Dacron with less silencing and quite a bit faster. I stopped at the bow shop the other night and the SBD string is giving me an average of 9-11 fps more than dacron and 7-9 more than the TS+. I was expecting an improvement in performance but I was really surprised to gain that much.

I'm off for a few days but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up. I'm glad I tried this new string. I'm really pleased with the overall results. I've dropped down in draw weight and this the performance boost, along with the reduction in noise, has given me more confidence in my equipment.

Offline FlyinCedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Hmmm... Might hafta try one myself. Thanks for the info
Matt 6:33-Seek the Kingdom of God, above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything that you need.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:00 AM »
I've been thinking of building some skinnies too....might have to when I get back from chasing whitetails...thanks for posting!

Curious how many pound bow you're shooting the 8strand dyna on?

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
yeah i recently got my first skinny strings( CJC)...i was using 18 strand ff from 3rivers but i switched to a 10 strand d97 on my chekmate....i gained 12 fps!! and youre right, it is quieter to. i was worried about creeping but i havent even had to unstring and twist the string up, thats after about 400 shots!

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Chris,

I'm glad that you have confirmed our testing results once again.  

Good luck and send us some pictures when you score...

>>>-----> SBD Bow Strings...  

Thanks and God Bless,  Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I shoot d97 on all of my bows. Don't be suprised if the eight and ten strand strings start to creep a little when shot in hot weather.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
I recently decided to try a skinny string for my hunting bow also. I also ordered a string from SBD bowstrings. I gave them a pile of requirements just to see how they reacted and how close they got to what I wanted.  They were great about it. Excellent service, fast communication and the turnaround was really fast. I totally agree, their quality is very, very good.   They padded the serving so it is not the small serving that is hard on my fingers like a couple other skinny strings that came with a couple bows I have bought or traded to get.  I even told them what my brace height was and sting length for that brace height; then I told them what brace height I wanted the string to be at before twisting up so I could tune from my minimum brace height with the base string length.  They are real good or lucky because the first time I put the sting on the bow it hit exactly my low range brace height.  I probably could have untwisted my string to see what string length I needed for that brace height, but I thought I would give them a challenge.  

I am hunting and when not hunting cutting meat at night.  I have it ready to go now, but have not been able to shoot it yet.  Maybe mid day between hunts this weekend I can get some shooting done to try it out, and get over to the bow shot to shoot it through the chronograph.  If it performs as well as it looks I will be very pleased.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
for some reason mine hasnt stretched. i have shot mine in warmer weather and my bow stays strung hanging from the string on wooden pegs.?? maybe i got lucky:)

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
"They are real good or lucky because the first time....."

I take that any day,  Thanks

God Bless,  Pierre and Jean-Pierre

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
I use an 8 strand D-97 padded on the loops to 14 strands of the same.  No real creep noticeable.  Had to add a couple of twists very occasionally, but nothing that i would consider a worry or problem.

I use double layer Halo serving, reverse spiraled.

The difference it made to the dacron stock string was very noticeable.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I have some coming from SBD, and if the quality is anything like the communication and service..

I know I'll be impressed..

Offline Gary Sewell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Do these strings cause any problems on bows when used on the older bear recurves? Like the old 59 kodiaks or takedowns?

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
those strings look very well made Pierre    :thumbsup:   you ever make any 450+ strings?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
Thanks Andy.    We have tried 450+,8125, and kinda settled on D-97.  Its a little bit more flexible and seemed to give us the best results over the long run at this point.  We are always looking for something better.

Gary, I would not recommend the new fast flight material on the older bows.  Fast flight is harsh on the older bows.   Stick with B50.

God Bless,  Pierre and Jean-Pierre

Offline Cue Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I'm on the bandwagon. Just got my string from SBD. Pierre was great to work with and even gave my string a little extra padding at the loops like I asked for. Beautiful string and the length was right on the nuts. By the way, it's so much faster than what I was using that it's like a different bow. No chronograph around here but I don't need one. Thanks Pierre!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I just got my string set-up and back on the bow.  It was dark after hunting so I only shot a few arrows, but it sure is a lot more quiet than my other D-97 string.  My nocks fit the serving great, and the serving is not real small like other bows I used to have shot with skinny strings.  I can't wait to shoot it more tomorrow.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
How would those strings be on a self bow? the bow in question is 67" 60# @ 28" made of osage.

Thanks Jeff

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
I rec'd my new string from Pierre last week, a day before my Sovereign Balliistic showed up. I can't compare it to anything else because I've not enough experience with ff strings. What can I say, I shoot mostly old bows.
Service was superb and shipping superfast.
2 thumbs up.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
Ductape I use 6 and 8 strands on all my wood bows.As long as the tips and string grooves are made so the string makes a nice tear drop shape when strung you should have no problem.Incorrectly  cut string grooves and overlays is what hurts bows,not the kind of string material.An 8 or 10 strand d-97 string would make a new bow out of the selfbow.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I've always liked D97 for the same reasons you mentioned.  If you want to go "skinnyer" and lighter, try 8125.  Same material as D97, just processed a little differently to make it skinny.  It fuzzes a little less than D97 and you will get a few fps over D97.  One thing however, you may have to go up in spine if you get too crazy with the skinny string syndrome.
TommyBoy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©