3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
I would like to add my 2 cents about the quality of their work, excellent strings that are well made.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
I have used SBD strings for over 6 months now on various bows ...Zipper,Bear T/D, and Ancient Spirits.Increased performance across the boards.I know Pierre and Jean-Pierre personally.Both are FANATIC about testing their product,performance results, and quality .Their attention to detail drives me nuts at times because i just like to shoot so i trust what they say as it is the truth because they put so much time and effort to achieve perfection....and i just shoot stuff.You can't go wrong with the SBD strings.Well worth trying.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Well I have my string all shot in now and I love it!  I noticed less noise and more speed.  I had to change my brace height some and drop 25 gr. point weight to stiffen the arrow back up due to the higher performance.  I still have not shoot it through the chronograph, but I know it is faster.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Ordered some strings for two different bows from Pierre , hope to get them these week , it sure will be exciting if my bows, increased in performance
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Let's talk about older bows.  I'm shooting fastflight material on three old ones now.  A D97 on a 1972 Bear Takedown, a 450+ on a 67 Shakespeare Necedah, and a TS-1 on a 1961 Bear Polar.  I've not found the "too harsh" factor to be true....and if you remember correctly, I've been a B-50 friend for decades.

As a matter of fact, I find the newer strings to be less harsh, as far as vibration goes, than the B-50 dacron.  The 1972 Bear Takedown is quieter and has much less vibration with the D-97 than a comparable B-50.  The Shakespeare now has over 2000 arrows through it with 450+ and shoots quietly and like a bow five pounds heavier.

Nobody has done a study using new strings on old bows, so everything you hear is rumor, or based on one or two breakages that may have been a bow problem more than a string problem.  That's why I have decided to give it a fair chance.

My bows show no ill-effect, or even moderate wear on the limb ends.  I make sure they are rounded well, where the string loops over the limb, with no sharp edges.  The up side is the extra overall performance, including a bow that is much more dead in the hand with very little vibration, as well as extra oomph.  

By the way....the 450+ I'm using on the Shakespeare is a 6 strand with 12 strands in the loops.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
George, I've had the same suspicion that the FF effect hadn't been researched fully possibly for ulterior motives. Since I started using these skinny strings on my FF bows I wanted to try a heavily padded loop skinny string on my Bear Takedown limbs. Especially the ones with Micarta tips. It seems the the only difference in speed with my older and newer limbs is the string material.
George, what are the tip material of the bows your testing FF on? Do you think it matters?
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Two of mine have wooden ovelays...the 72 Bear and the Shakespeare.  The 72 Bear is one piece Futurewood and the Shakespeare three piece shedua/maple.  The 61 Polar is three piece fiberglass.  I think the real key is in how well the string attachment area is rounded.
The 450+ is nearly a "no stretch" string and as I have mentioned I have over 2000 shots through that one.  The others show no effect so far either other than less vibration and better performance.  

I can only speak of my experience after all of these years shooting B-50.  It appears to me that the new strings are getting a bad rap when talking about their effect on old bows.  I do think you need to be vigilent about the string nock area when deciding to try one, but I see no reason not to if all else looks good.  I don't issue guarantees though 8^).  I have my own money invested in my old bows so I am not risking anyone elses equipment.  So far, so good, and the results exceed expectations.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Yes I intend to be very careful. I'm just going use one set of limbs at first that I don't favor that much and that I don't intend to sell to someone else later without specifying.
I just wanted to add; when checking the string grooves one should check them at full draw as well. That is where the real force is on them and the angle changes as the limbs go further back. A tiller stick might be useful for that.
I think it will work though. I have even went as far as wrapping a serving thread around the loop by hand to pad it even more (tedious). And also you only need to double serve a skinny string in the finger/nock area, saving some weight on the string again.

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Good luck with a skinny D97, I had 2 8 strand, padded loops from a very good string maker, I wont mention his name because the quality of his work is impeccable and the failures were not a result of his craftsmanship.My bow is a 66" 53@30" R/D LB. The strings never stopped creeping, every day for over a month I had to reset my brace height. I did and do leave it strung as I shoot every day. Finally gave up on D97 and switched to 8125, less creep, faster and quieter...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Hi Paul.  Unless the D97 was defective, it wasn't that.  I have a couple that stay put...have not moved much at all since I got them.  The 450+ is solid stuff for sure, I rarely have to even check the brace when it is on the bow.

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I am using a 6 strand d-97 that is padded to 18 at the loops, on a supermag 48, 70's vintage.

Makes the bow shoot like a different one.

Definitely faster.   Seems like it draws easier.  I know this might sound weird, and it may be all mental, but groups seemed to tighten up a little.

CJC double served it for me.   Have a twin to it that I need to shoot in, but will wait until after season for that  :)

farmer

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I'm thinking of trying an 8 strand D97 on a couple of my longbows, replacing their 14 strand strings.

With the increased performance I'm reading about, are you all finding a need to change your arrow tuning, ie point weight, arrow length, spine?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Yep it will change the tuning. I put a 12 strand 8125 padded loop on my 36lb SAIII and it souped it up enough to shoot full length 400s, front loaded. It was to fast for 3555/480s at 29 3/4 and couldn't quite bend a 32" 400 at a comfortable draw. Now it will do the trick and it is noticeably quieter as well. I think the skinny string might work even better on long bows, according to mine anyway. I have tried a skinny string on one of my pronghorns and it really warmed it up. And their not slow to begin with. And their even quieter too.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
LOVED my SBD string from Pierre, haven't test it on a chrono but i am very impressed on the silence of the bow and how smooth it became , will post again when i compare it to the other one in a chrono

You have to try a string !!!!!

:thumbsup:
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
6 strands of D97 is my standard for 50# bows, and have had skinnies on 2 1959 Grizzlies for hundreds of shots, and no negatives. Better performance, less shock no worries. Works great on self bows!
Chad at recurves.com is a sponsor and makes great strings.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 04:50:00 AM »
i want to thank you for sending me my skinnie string Bjorn it is great and whats more it is way faster than my other strings.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Gerardo:
LOVED my SBD string from Pierre, haven't test it on a chrono but i am very impressed on the silence of the bow and how smooth it became , will post again when i compare it to the other one in a chrono

You have to try a string !!!!!

:thumbsup:  
Gerardo,  Thanks,  Please let us know how it compares.  

We have been doing some extensive testing working with a bowyer and   SBD Bow Strings...."not just another bow string >>>----->"    are showing to be one of the quietest and fastest strings out there.  Our highest preformance string we are testing is being shot on hunting bows without silencers and is dead quiet and fast...>>>----->    

Thanks and God Bless,  Pierre and Jean-Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Hey Folks,

The first archery season is now offically over and we have meat in the freezer so the pressure is off. Now we can look forward to the second archery season that comes back in after Christmas.

Thank God for for those Silent But Deadly bow strings and Jean-Pierre's excellent shooting ability.

We want to thank everyone for their patience and understanding during hunting season and we are now completely caught up with all your orders. We appreciate all the phone calls, e-mails, and PMs about our strings and most importantly the feedback we receive after you shoot them.

Please do not hesitate to call with any questions...

Thanks and God Bless, Pierre and Jean-Pierre

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I don't know how you guys are shooting the skinny D97 strings, I went through 4 of them in 2 months, they wouldn't stop creeping on a 53# lb. I had to reset my brace height every day, Tried the 8125 12/18 from Chad Weaver and it works fine...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Paul,  

We haven't found this to be true at all about our strings .  

Maybe as George and others mentioned earlier in this topic where you posted it before...  
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Hi Paul.  Unless the D97 was defective, it wasn't that.  I have a couple that stay put...have not moved much at all since I got them.  The 450+ is solid stuff for sure, I rarely have to even check the brace when it is on the bow.
We do a pre-stretching process on  all of SBD bow strings which definitely helps.

Thanks and God Bless,   Pierre and Jean-Pierre

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©