3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New skinny string from SBD... impressive results
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
I have 2 bows with 6 strand strings on them from SBD. One is a 55# Shrew Carbon and the other a 43# Adcock ACS.  Both shoot great and I have had no creeping after the first couple days of shooting. I also had a couple strings made by someone else from here and they didn't stretch either after a week of shooting. I have been perfectly satisfied with the 6 strand D97 strings and would recommend SBD strings to anyone wanting a new string.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I have been shooting one on my Firefly LB for a week or so, and I didn't think this bow could get any quieter, as Jim builds a whisper quiet bow.  I was amazed with the SBD string, as it cut the noise level even more!!

Not to mention I definatly see a diff in speed as well.  I do not have a chrony, but I can see and feel a difference for sure.

A very fine product I would recommend.

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2009, 04:03:00 AM »
so how many strands is good on a 60lb longbow shooting with a 29" draw.  I'm planning on trying to make one tonight out of dynaflight 97.  figgered I'd try an 8 strand if nothing else to learn to pad the loops.   Will this be too skinny for the bow weight?

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2009, 07:51:00 AM »
Dan,

An 8 strand D-97 will work fine.  Pad the loops to Minimum of 14 strand.

God Bless,   Pierre
>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow---->

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
My 8 strand D97 string from Pierre has been great. However, several months back I did have a 6 strand D97 string built by another well respected stringmaker and it creeped liked crazy.  Never did get it to stop.  Don't know what the differnce in construction was, but there definitely was a big difference.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Well, maybe it was a heat factor as all my problems were in summer. All I know is 6/18 D97 did not work at all, the strings were from a well known string maker and the 8125 works very well...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Paul,  

Nope wasn't the heat.  :banghead:

We shoot in 90+ degrees, high humidity, hundreds of arrows in the summer and no creep.

God Bless,  Pierre

"if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much space..." God Knows!
>>>----->  SBD...Bow Strings ..."not just another bow string"   www.sbdbowstrings.com

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm shooting 6 strand D97 flemish and don't get creep either.

Is it possible that creep could be due the wax people are using to make them?  Can't think of much else it could be.  D97 is D97, only thing that changes is the wax people use when they make them.

Just a thought anyway.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I wonder if it has more to do with how much b50 is added into padding the loops.  It would make a little more sense I would think.

Offline Pierre Lucas

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Freefeet,

Wax???  :confused:  Don't know maybe.

Dan,

Nope isn't padding.  

Have done 6 strand strings and padded loops to 16 strand on 55# bows and no creep..  

God Bless,  Pierre

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I mean I wonder if the padding is longer on the other guys string...making it come more into play in the body of the string then just in the loops and tapers.   My skinny string I built last nite started to stablize out..though I took it off and started dinking with my old string again...Never did prestretch it...didnt want to dig out the jig lol...ya ya I was tired that's my excuse  ;)

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2009, 04:46:00 AM »
I pad with 12 inch lengths.  6 strand main string, 14 strands pure D97 at the loops - no dacron.  I use red Bohning Tex-Tite wax.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
It got my newest SBD string Saturday.  I got it on my new LB Sunday and did some shooting.  I shot it more today.  I love these strings!  I really like the way Pierre pads the serving so it is not so hard on my fingers like other skinny strings I have had.  My nocks fit great.  It is not quite as quiet as my old string, but it is very close.  I have not put silencer on it yet and the old one has them so I am really surprised how close it is already.  I could easily hunt this bow without silencers with the SBD string.  I can't wait to get some on this string to see how quiet it gets.  I got 1/4" stretch in the first 100 or so arrows.  If I recall correctly that is about what I got on my last string for my curve.  Last time I checked that bow it had not moved any more after I reset the brace height.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Wanted to bring this one back up to the top.  

I had a small issue with a couple of strings that Pierre made for me, (no fault of his own I might add) and he fixed them right up and had them back to me right quick!!!

SBD strings and service are second to none!!!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
I just got one of Pierre's sting. Very nice. Its noticeably quiter than my thicker string.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Yep, the string he made me for my Kiowa is just as quiet without silencers as my other string is with them, and I get a very noticable increase in fps although I haven't chronoed it.  Combine that great product with customer service that is second to none!!  2 Thumbs Up for Pierre!!!

Ken
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I ordered one for my MOHAWK. Very satisfied. A quality string that made a fast, quiet, Longbow even Faster and Quieter! I am a firm believer now! Thanks Pierre and Jean- Pierre!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Pierre Lucas how are you prestreching your strings? I make my own and would like to start doing this.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
I can't wait to get mine!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I have two SBD strings that I have been shooting since I received them. One for a Shrew and one for a Bear Takedown with FF limbs. They are both VERY quiet -- almost spooky quiet. I have never experienced any strings that are so silent. At first I kept shooting just to listen.
I am also really impressed with the quality and workmanship.
Pierre and his son make a great product.
I highly recommend the SBD strings. If you try one you will be impressed too.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©