3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Figure This One Out For Me  (Read 877 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Figure This One Out For Me
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Ever heard of a flemish string being blamed for a limb twisting?  I did recently, even heard that flemish strings were "known" for causing twisted limbs.

Anyone ever heard of this before?  Ever seen it?  Ever had it explained?

I've been making flemish strings for over 15 years, and at least in the beginning I made some pretty lousy ones.  Even then, I never had one cause a limb twist.  Since then, I've literally made thousands, and never had anyone say a limb twist was caused by one.

I have an idea of what's going on, but would like to get some input--preferably informed input, but opinions work too.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Figure This One Out For Me
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
I forgot to mention--if it matters, the string in question isn't one I made, and the bow in question isn't one I sell.

Chad

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 06:56:00 PM »
Tiny:  Are you twisting your strings too TIGHT again!

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
I`ve made alot of flemish twist strings and never had a problem with limbs twisting.Never heard of that string being the blame for limbs twisting either.Somebody either don`t know what there talking about or they were misinformed or tryed a flemish twist string and did something else to twist the limb and blamed string for it.
Harold Wetzler

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
crummy bowyer/build?
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
Like you I have made to many to count. I had a guy tell me his bow delaminated and my string was the reason. I asked when it happened and he said, and I quote " After I dry fired it for the third time in a row"  Never had a limb twist. I made some bad strings in the begining, uneven twists, loose loops, and just mistakes you make when you first start.  They all work just fine.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by DesertDude:
I had a guy tell me his bow delaminated and my string was the reason. I asked when it happened and he said, and I quote " After I dry fired it for the third time in a row"  
WOW... :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
My first thought is this Chad, Most guy's leave their recurves strung, and a lot of guys aren't real good at stringing a recurve. If a guy orders a new string, goes to restring his bow and twists the limb, well naturally it's the new strings fault.   :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I had a guy tell me his bow delaminated and my string was the reason. I asked when it happened and he said, and I quote " After I dry fired it for the third time in a row"  
Rotf......that's better than the string causing a twisted limb!

Tiny: Are you twisting your strings too TIGHT again!
I may be twisted to tight, but my strings aren't.  I didn't even make the string that was on this bow.

I appreciate the input--keep it coming.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
I have a lot of bows and many, many strings and can say from experience that none of my strings have ever twisted any of my bow limbs!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
I make some of the ugliest strings ever and never had any problems with limbs or anything else.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
My limited 46 year experience notwithstanding, I've never heard of any string twisting a limb. Check for uneven string groove, improper stringing technique, faulty limb/delam (?), or space aliens.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
Only been making strings for a year.. I have not experienced and limb twists and some of my strings have been pretty bad.  They are getting better
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
Dont believe it.It wont happen.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
A lot of help you all are--don't tell me that just three people have ever heard of this (the one who said it, the one he said it to, and me)?  

Just kidding--I do appreciate the input.  What got me is the person who made the claim said "flemish strings are known for twisting limbs" or something close.  I thought surely I haven't been this lucky for this long, but wanted to check just in case.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
It happens when you put a string with a left-handed twist on a left-handed bow, or right-hand twisted string on a right-handed bow. The torque of the bow works in tandem with the torque of the string, causing the bow not really to twist, but to "bow" to one side. The stringmakers finally admitted to this tendency, and went on to produce a public-education video, to prevent folks from falling victim to the string/bow torque inherent to the design under these circumstances.

The way to make the string work, if you find yourself with a string twisted the same direction as the bow's handedness, is to put the string on upside-down, thereby reversing the twist orientation. Other than having to unstring from the bottom limb (not disadvantageous, gravitationally speaking, as you will find that your string stays put without a string keeper, provided you keep the bow upright), there will be little or no change in your shooting routine, and you can use the string with no risk to you or your bow. This being fairly common knowledge, it is not surprising that merchants do not bother to market strings that are specific to the orientation of your bow. Sticklers for tradition will, of course, want the proper string because of the difference in top and bottom loop sizes, as they do not want to be seen unstringing their bows "incorrectly". So, right-handed shooters seek out right-handed stringmakers, who naturally produce right-hand-twisted strings. It is exceedingly hard for a left-handed person to make a right-handed string, and vice-versa, and a truly ambidextrous stringmaker is in the highest demand.

Double-shelf bows, by the way, necessitate the use of the endless string type, which is never to be twisted either direction.

If you wish to learn more about the dangers of Flemish twist strings, if handled improperly, I will give you the name of that video that went with the PSA when the stringmakers decided that covering their assets would be better than a possible flood of lawsuits and reimbursing thousands of archers for their ruined bows. The video came out a couple of years ago, and is called "Doing the Twist".

Glad to help.
Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Killdeer,

Your sarcasm runeth over. I like it!   :D

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Now I know why Killy is a "Chatter" member and Jason is a "Charter" member   :D  

That was funny. Thanks.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I asked Arvid Danielson to write it out for me because he can explain it much better than I.

"I’ve been asked to explain how a bow string can cause limb tip twist. Not all types of bow strings or all types of bows are susceptible to limb tip twist. An endless string has a very smooth loop, which will slide smoothly around the nock end string groove with few problems. On the other-hand, the tightly twisted string loop of a Flemish twist string produces hard ridges around the string loop; these can hang-up on the narrow radiuses of the string groove of the nock end. Always, after stringing the bow inspect the bow tips to verify the string is properly centered.
Centering the string does not mean to squeeze the string into the center of the limb with the tips of your fingers, it will not stay there if it is a Flemish string, the way to do this is to take a good hold on the limb 6 to 8 inches below the nock groove and with the other hand take hold of the string and with your fingers pull the string back just a few inches until the string lifts away from the belly of the bow, then gently pull the string to one side to re-center the string. If you watch it carefully you will see the string loop walk around the nock end string groove, lower the string back down to the center of the limb, this should take care of the most common errors in the diagnosis of limb twist.
The other thing to be aware of is the bow limb itself, the new exotic materials used in these bows completely change the traditional, structural physics of a bow. For example the use of carbon in a bow limb, carbon is much stiffer a material that it requires a reduction of core thickness of around 40%. That is quite significant when trying to stabilize a limb in tillering; it also makes it more susceptible to twisting from mistreating the bow."

I like Killie's response. lol
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm throwin in the BS towel on this one.

Flemish twists "known" for twisting limbs. Thats the stupidest thing I've heard this week.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©