3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Strange encounter this evening  (Read 425 times)

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
Strange encounter this evening
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I wound up with a strange encouter coming out of the woods this evening. I had a great night in stand with deer around me most of the evening 5 does and fawns and 2 different bucks none of which ended up close enough for a shot at my comfortable range but still close enough to keep the excitement level up.

I stayed in my stand till well after dark and slipped out to sneak back to the house as not to disturb any of the deer that I am sure were fairly close.

All's going well (no snorting or running deer heard) for the first 200 yards. When all of a sudden I hear a pig squeel very close to me! Now for some of you this may not be unusual but I'm in east central IL and there are not any wild hogs period. Anyway it is maybe 15 yards from me in some thick brush down in a hollow. It squeeled several times as I dug my light out of my pocket. As I was fumbling for the light I heard brush breaking coming at me and when the light came on the hog was around 7-8 yards from me! As soon as the light hit him he turned 180 degrees and hauled off out of there. My heart had not pounded that hard in a loooong time he was definetly upset with me! And yes I can admit it I was a bit scared!

The property owner (my neighbor) does not keep any hogs or livestock at all, however just down the road from my house theres a guy who has a few pigs. I'm gonna swing by his place tommorrow to see if he has an escapee! The landowner told me to shoot it and we would have a hog roast!  But I'm hoping it's the other guys and he can get it rounded up. If it's not his or he doesn't claim it I am gonna try to put an arrow through it the first chance I get.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Strange encounter this evening
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Man, I bet that was exciting in the dark. LOL

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Imagine if that was on Holloween!
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
That is cool.  Did it look domestic or wild.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Exciting to say the least in the dark.

I think this is how "feral hogs" came to be. I have heard that in a very short period of time a domesticated pig can turn feral.

You may have met feral hog #1 in East Central IL!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Hogs behave quite differently after dark; on one occasion a friend and I were 'charged' by a big hog while tracking a downed sow. He blew by us at the last moment.
Another time a herd of hogs-yes a herd-maybe 80 came running down the two track I was following back to camp. It was well after dark, I was stunned by the sight and sound of them and had no time to get out of the way-they literally split into two groups to get around me. It was amazing completely enclosed by pigs running by at full speed-couldn't wait to get to camp for some Jack Daniels and fresh shorts!

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by metsastaja:
That is cool.  Did it look domestic or wild.
It was dark colored but thats about all I could tell it was only in the light for a couple seconds! I imagine it is domestic though! I sent a text message to several local guys telling them about it and one called me a little while ago telling me he also saw a pig 2 years ago just down the river a couple miles while he was hunting. He seemed pretty sure it was a domestic pig.

Offline -Achilles-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:40:00 AM »
there are hogs in south east missouri but very few...I killed and have seen many killed...I know of 1 that was killed in south west ill

Offline five-oh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:56:00 AM »
Not sure where Georgetown is, but a few years back I heard there were some wild hogs near Canton, IL in the Spoon River Valley area.  I think guys were hunting them, from what I recall.
"Sic Vis Pacem Parabelium"
(If you want peace, prepare for war)

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
"It squeeled several times as I dug my light out of my pocket."  
 "It squeeled" dont you mean I squeeled  ;)
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
I will "piggy back" on this story. No Pun intended.

The other morning I was walking into my location to set up in a natural Corn blind. I could smell that a skunk had discharged ahead on me. All of a sudden I hear something coming out of the corn to my left. And sure enough I can see the white stripe of Mr. Pepe Lepew.

He had his tail up, and was no more than 4 feet away from me. I continued on as slowly as possible, and this skunk started following me snorting/growling at me. So I picked up the pace... Still right on my heels... Went to a jog... still on my heels... Now picture this..

Bow in hand, seat on my back, wearing these clunky knee high rubber boots for the first time... pitch black... Now I turn it up to a dead sprint, 35 yards later the skunk decided he made his point and turned back the other way... I had to go to work right after the hunt, so there was no way I was getting sprayed that morning...

Needless to say, my walk in wasn't that quiet...

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
Hey Dennis....when I first started reading your story it made me think of the movie "Deliverance".  Sorry....just couldn't help it  :bigsmyl:

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steertalker:
Hey Dennis....when I first started reading your story it made me think of the movie "Deliverance".  Sorry....just couldn't help it   :bigsmyl:  

Brett
Bret, Don't make me call my kin!

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Can you squeel like a pig?????  :goldtooth:
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
Old Green Teeth in Deliverance Said : Your gonna pray boy and youd better pray good" !!!!
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Shoot you guys are going easy on the deliverence jokes you should here the ones my "good hunting buddies" have been telling since i told them about this!   :knothead:

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
You should never mess with a pig, it will squeel on you.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Dang Dennis!! you have all the fun   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I haven't ran accross pigs in the dark, but I did kick a skunk one night while coon hunting. The dogs were running towards me and my light went out. I was at the edge of a field and could see a figure I thought was a coon. It was when I learned all skunks don't have a white strip.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
I think old green teeths cousin moved to Peru, MA didn't he?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©