3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To and from the stand  (Read 688 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To and from the stand
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
If anything I've noticed light helps. They have the disadvantage and usually hold still.

If you hunt postage stamps like me, take a steel rake and get your trail clear into your stand, then wear flat soled sneakers.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
After many years of playing this game, I have come to believe that light has negligible if any measurable impact on deer.  I do not think that deer can reason a relationship between light and people/danger.  On the other hand, light will sometimes keep you from busting deer in the dark.  Light will also keep you from stumbling around in the brush.
:thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
I use a red lens filter and they don't even react.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
In my experience, deer seem to be very curious animals. In the dark they may spook, but chances are if you hear one snort, you were probably just as surprised as the deer because you were right on top of it. Unless your headed right for them and get very close, they'll just watch you walk by. In either situation, usually the deer return after daybreak to investigate what they saw. I usually try and be as silent as possible, but also get to where I'm going without messing around. I don't think the light affects them other than spark their curiousity. I've gone "spotting" before season since I was a kid. I can't recall a deer ever bolting off as soon as it saw the light, and thats one big flashlight. Seems to me they can be pretty bold in the dark ?

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I walk in and out with a green headlight. I have walked right up on deer and if I stand still, they go back to feeding.

I was hunting a food plot from a ladder stand and had a couple of does right in front of me. I wanted them to leave but I did not want to climb down and spook them into the next county so I just turned on my green light, they finally looked up at me and went right back to feeding.

I would rather walk in the dark, avoiding rattlesnakes and copperheads, and get in my stand and settled well before first light, so a light is needed for me.

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Use a red led! light it works!
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I use a green light headlamp going to my stand. Like to get in and sitting about 1 hour before day light. On this one occasion I walk in and heard some deer moving out just a head of me as I got to my ground blind, a big triple tree. Deer did not bust out but you could hear them moving. I killed my light put down my bow and pack and grabbed my rattling antlers. Is was pitch black, no moon. I proceeded to rattle and crunch and stamp around in the leaves and brush outside my blind. I stopped and jumped inside the blind again. Within seconds you could hear the deer busting through the brush. But the deer was now coming directly toward me. I could not see a thing but this deer put the breaks on no more then 10 yards away grunting like crazy. I was huddled into the triple tree as far as I could get in. This deer walking in a circle 10 yards out, all around me grunting until he got 18o degrees down wind. Then he snorted and busted out to the next zip code. Never saw anything it was pitch black. Later that day I heard another guy got a shot at a larger 8pt in the area a few days earlier. It could have been him. He wasn't too happy other bucks were sparing on his turf.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
White light didn't seem to bother the doe that walked out in front of my wife's car last night.The bumper and hood did.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
I just bought a  light that shines green, white and green and lazer dot. Hope the flo. green shows up blood in the dark.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I don't think lights bother them in the dark.  They are much more bold after dark.  I had a buddy looking for a fork he shot after dark and had a big mature buck walk in and hang around as he shined the light on the deer as he walked around.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I have never noticed a light having any detectable effect on deer. I try to get to my stand a half hour to forty-five minutes at least before it starts to get light. This gives time for the woods to "settle back down". Besides, if I get busted on the way in, I figure I probably would also have gotten busted if I waited till it got light. That's just a risk that is a part of deer hunting, or to put it figuratively - somtimes you get the bear; sometimes he gets you.
Sam

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
I walked in the dark for years.But for the last 5 or 6 years I wait to I can see.You can be more quit and watch rubbing against brush.But what really changed my mine was me and a friend.Walked down a fence line a good 45 min. before first light an a guy took about a 50 year shot at us.Good thing he was a bad shot.Stiil close enough that we heard the feathers go by.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
I always use a light even if I can see to navigate without it. Most public ground here is pretty crowded and I've witnessed some pretty dumb stuff. Even if it does bother em a little bit. I haven't seen a buck yet worth getting shot over. There are just too many idiots out there as Roys story above describes.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Not sure if it's better to wait or to get in in the dark (think GFA advocates waiting until light - for what it's worth) but *especially* on public land, you really ought to use a light when traveling in the dark.

There probably aren't that many idiots out there (in archery season anyway) that will shoot at sound, but it really only takes one.  I'd rather spook deer than get feathered by some silly, sound-shooting noob.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©