3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 fletch or 4 fletch?  (Read 691 times)

Offline buxntoms

• Trad Bowhunter
3 fletch or 4 fletch?
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
I wondered what was the best fletch set-up you all have come up with over the years.  I have always made my arrows with 5.5" left wing high back shield cut feathers done in 3 fletch.  I recently shot some arrows that were done in 3 fletch banana cut and they flew great.  I have never tried a four fletch arrow, but was told a four fletch parabolic feather set up was the most stable.  What's your thoughts or experience and does it really matter or is it all just personal preference?  

Mike
"Know Your Land....Know Your Prey!"

Offline TaylorJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 fletch or 4 fletch?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
As far as I understand, the more fletching the more rear drag it creates on the arrow. While that extra drag is great for stabilizing the arrow quicker, it tends to rob the arrow of speed and power down range.

So I'd say it's more of a preference thing. Four fletch would certainly make more sense on a flu-flu arrow though!
- Taylor

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
I have been shooting 4 fletch with 4 inch feathers for 14 years.  Never really noticed it slowing my arrows any.  I think it stabilizes them quickly out of the bow, and any slowing would occur far down range.

4 x 4 inch is less feather than 3 x 5.5 inch
16 inches of feather is less than 16.5.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline bm22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »
i shoot 3- 3.5 in a&a feathers and i don't have ANY fligh problems at all. i also tuned my arrows to my bow. unless you are shooting wood arrows that might not be perfectly straight or choose not to tune your arrows i don't see ANY reason to shoot 4 fletch or ANY reason to shoot 5 in or bigger feathers. that is unless you like the look of more feathers.

however if you are worried about down range performance like maybe shooting 40-50 yards in a 3d tourney or are worried about noise i suggest you shoot the smallest feathers you can get to fly perfectly out of your bow. i also shoot off the shelf so don't think i can get away with this because i have a rest.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:27:00 AM »
I shoot three 5.5" Raptor or Shield cut feathers on wood for the traditional look.  On carbons I use 4x5 parabolics in the Rothaar configuration. The 4x4 low profile bananas offer the best mix of everything, but I've come to prefer the extra visibility in flight under various lighting conditions that you get from the 4x5 parabolics.  

In the real world, virtually any reasonable feather configuration you want to use will work.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Allegan Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
I used to shoot 4 fletch...  then got cheap and went to 3 to save that few cents per arrow.

For me I never noticed a difference.
Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Excellence is not a single act, but a habit. ---Aristotle

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
I feel having your arrows well tuned is the most important,then fletching just becomes a personal preference.I have shot both 3 and 4 fletch and if the arrows are well tuned I can see no difference.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
I shot 5.5 inch 3 fletch for so many years I couldn't tell you how long. About 3 or 4 years ago I just started to play around with four fletch.....4" long. I have to say that four fletch seems to make for a more stable arrow. I did a couple for my wife to try and she like them so much I had to refletch all her arrows. Rather than slow the arrow down I think I actually gained a bit of speed. In any event my arrows go thru animals just the same and I believe they shoot better.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I am by no means an authority on the trad stuff, but have been shooting bows for awhile.  

4 fletch is almost certain to give the best possibe stability-properly matched of course.  I would speculate that if you try 4, you should also shoot a 4 blade head.

If the arrow is properly tuned though, as others have already mentioned, fletching really shouldn't make a huge difference.

Look at the wheelies-the rage for the past 4-5 yrs. has been 3 blazer vanes fletched straight, with no helical whatsoever.. of course the speeds they are pushing with a well tuned arrow, you probably wouldnt even NEED fletching.

Again- this is where you get to into an area where returns may diminish slightly for an improvement or more importantly a percieved improvement.

I would experiment with different height/length/shape before I would consider going to an extra fletch on the shaft.  Personally.

God bless,

Farmer

Offline buxntoms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  Has anyone tried the Hammerhead Lites versus the Trad Lites?  What's the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?  I don't shoot 3-D so what I shoot is always for deer and elk hunting!  What I'm asking is would I be better suited to use the Hammerhead Trad Lites or just the Trad Lites for big game hunting?  Also what length and style feathers are you guys using with the Trad Lites?
"Know Your Land....Know Your Prey!"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I went to 4 4" and they are much quieter and stabilize fine in flight. They are cheaper too. I buy the full length feathers and can chop 2 out of one feather.  As far as stabilizing, if your arrow is tuned properly they will fly great. If they aren't then any change in fletching might show up in the arrow's flight.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Zach Mikita

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I agree with Brett.  I have been changing back and forth thinking that 3 fletchings is better and less expensive, but 4 fletch arrows are the best arrows I have.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
I have just started experimenting with 4, 3 inch feathers and they seem to doing great so far.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
As far as I understand it's just personal preference.  Unless you're shooting Easton Axis or some of the other 1/4 inch arrows then you have to shoot three fletch because the shaft diamater is too small for four.

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
:scared:  
  Shoot great for 3-D, also.  By the way I shoot off the knuckle.   :jumper:
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
I have shot 3 fletch 5 or 5.5 for years but recently got some four fletch 5" here on tradgang, I think I will be shooting four fletch from now on especially since I shoot the big snuffers and hunt in thick cover where close shots through brush are the norm. I have also found that I can get away with little to no helical using the four fletch, this has made my arrows fly alot quieter.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Iv tried a bunch to see what works best for me, there can be some advantages to curtain fletch set-ups but a lot is personal preference,

i have found low cut feathers to be the quietest .5" at highest point

im shooting 4X4" feathers now, just find that configuration works best for me. But im wanting to try some 4x3" and see how they go.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I like 4 x  4, don't particularly know why.
joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I like 4 x 4 but no particular reason.
Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline DoubleJ1929

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Alert!!!  Hijacker here...  I am a newbie trad guy and have a ??  How do you set the nock on a 4 fletch??
Morrison Dakota  58" 56@28  
Bob Lee Signature  60"  56@28
 Bear Super Grizzly  58"  50@28  
Robertson Falcon Vision  60"   61@27

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©