3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leaving for PIKE COUNTY, IL in 4 days ...Any last minute tips ??  (Read 1138 times)

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
Well, it's done, now the wait begins. Several of the guys that I work with, myself, my father and one of our good hunting buddies are going to Pike County,IL at the end of October for a week. I would like some advice if you live up there and hunt locally, or if you have gone up there and hunted before. That I know of, I'll be the only one carrying a curve. Everyone else is bringing wheels....I am already taking some ragging, but I told them "it's the only way that's fun for me", anyway, I can't wait, October will take 2 years to get here now !!!

What type of weather should I be prepared for ?
In south Louisiana we're usually still in the high 80s.

Will most of the hunting be from a ground blind or a treestand? I hunt 95% of the time out of a climber or use tree spurs and a loc-on, due to the thickness of the woods.
 NEW QUESTION
I usually hunt out of a climber or Loc-on, should I also bring a ground blind with me ?
Got a ground blind so I hpe to be able to cover most hunting situations...

Any last minute tips or advice before I leave ?
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leaving for PIKE COUNTY, IL in 4 days ...Any last minute tips ??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't shoot the first buck that seems big to you. Pike has monsters walking around and a once in a lifetime buck is very possible.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
1st go first of Nov if Oct the very last!
2nd and most important.
Don't pass on a buck you would shoot on the last day! I'm a little north a few hundred miles, expect anything for weather. Hot to freezeing and all in the same week OK maybe day! Are you hunting with a outfitter or on public ground? Theres great hunting on both, but with all the exposure lots of others looking for the same. Wall hanger. Good luck most off all have fun.

Brent

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »
Thanks David, we have to shoot "at least" a 135 inch buck, like that's small. We are going with an outfitter, the hunt is semi-guided, they show us the land....and we are on our own unless we shoot.
peak98

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:43:00 PM »
P&Ys only eh. You're going to see some hawgs then if that's what the leases are managed for.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
I was there several years ago and the weather did not cooperate. I thought I was making the best of it by staying on stand in wind and rain, but I only saw 3 does. I'd go again, but pray for the weather to cooperate.  Good luck to you.
Is it September yet?!

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
The weather can be wild.I've hunted in a tee shirt in the am and cold weather bibs in the pm,on the same day.
Ask your guide if its treestand hunting.Most are but ask if you can hunt from the ground.
Our buck activity really starts to heat up around the second week of November.
Some of the locals may join in here.I live 175 miles north.I hunt the Gov. ground and kill a deer every year.
Good luck and knock down a big one.

Scott

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Dont worry about the weather usualy very mild down there, if you are lucky enought and have good weather it will approach 30 to 40 degrees very unlikely, bring gear for those temps and warmer. The first day let the outfitter tell you the boundries, i would'nt hunt unless there is a good front moving in. 1st day glass and scout then use your hunting ability to find the funnel's bring a stand and set up, i can almost guarantee that the stands the outfitter sets up will not be for trad. archers. let me know how you do, for i have never payed to hunt ,but i understand there are some hogs in that county. "ELk dont know how many feet a horse has pigram" I will help you out all i can just email me. Jonesy

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Penetrator im with you! its like Cuba around here, but Got roots in this ground and i aint givin up!

Offline painthorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Wow.I didnt know they had messed up the non resident   tags like that.Hunting is good but its not worth that money.Peoples Republic Of Chicago strikes again.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the encouragement.

jonesy- we're supposed to be shown the property and the boundaries early the first morning, then we're on our own. I plan on glassing the rest of the morning and into early evening, if I can locate where a good travel route is, I might try to slip in and climb a tree early if the wind is right, otherwise, I'll pick two or three promising areas (as per guide recommendations) and slip in early the next morning. We will be give arial maps of the properties that we have access to that will have outfitter stand locations marked on them, but I know that I'll be hanging my on (got to get a little closer you know).
peak98

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!1

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Good advice, thanks and keep it coming
peak98

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
Like someone else above said,don't pass up one the first day that you would shoot the last day.

I just about did that 2 years ago in Adams county,Illinois.First evening hunt had a 130" 10pt come in to 6 yards,watched him from about 150 yards all the way in,and had decided not to shoot..............till he started to walk past me.I figured,this is what I came for,he's a gorgeous buck,at very close range,so I took the shot.Got a beautiful buck on my wall,great memories,and still hunted for does the rest of the trip.I did not have even another sighting of a good buck the rest of the trip,so again.......DON'T PASS UP A BUCK THE FIRST DAY THAT YOU WOULD SHOOT THE LAST DAY.........you may not have another opportunity.

Weather,prepare for all extremes.It could be 20 degrees one day spitting snow,and sunny and 70 degrees the next........

Take a camera with you to the stand.I got to see more deer and deer behavior the 2 times I've been to Illinois than I have in 30 years of deer hunting in SC.

Most importantly.............ENJOY EVERY MOMENT!!!!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Thanks Mike, well said.
peak98

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Darrell,if it's like the place I hunted in the midwest (Kansas),look for some crp land.these are fields they let grow up and do not plant.kinda like a briar patch here.You will be amazed at the amount of buck sign you see.Figuring out the patterns there are easier than home because there is usually not much cover.But like anywhere the big bucks can be hard to pin down.Don't over look small patches of cover.The deer there are like rabbits if you don't step on em they will hold tight to cover.be ready for some wind and expand your shot range as far as you can.Good luck.hey do you live in the walker area by chance?

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
cajunbowhntr- I live in Denham Springs, just west of Walker.
peak98

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »
Darrell,
Who is your outfitter?  My friend won a whitetail hunt for two in Pike County with the same time period.  The outfitter has a 135 P&Y minimum and his setup sounds a lot like your outfitter.
Also, I am the lucky dog who will be hunting with him in late October and early November.  
  :biglaugh:      :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline possumtrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I was raised in So Ill (Franklin/Williamson counties) and have been going back to hunt for several years now. Rut has been a little later than usual the last couple of years (2nd and 3rd week of Nov). Be prepared for all kinds of weather. You never know when a Northern can work it's way down. But in the most part it should be mild. Take advantage of the corn harvest and stand placement. If there is still some corn standing, you can bet that the deer are holed up in it. At least thats the way it is around my dad's place. I am probably just going to get a doe tag this year. Price is getting a little steep for me for a buck. Good luck and have fun!
John
possumtrot

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 06:45:00 AM »
Take your own food.   Not alot of restraunts in the area.  The chili at Wendys can get old very fast.   LOL   You will have a great time.  We did.   Ive been there 3 times.  Seen more trophy class deer in one day than I did the entire season in Indiana.       The $ went up and I have not been back since.   Also I had a buddy that leased some ground there but that has gone away.    I would love to be able to go back.   Good Luck.

Take a variety of clothing.   If you do not like the weather just wait a few hours,  it will change.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©