3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bikes and Bowhunting  (Read 1313 times)

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bikes and Bowhunting
« on: October 08, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Been biking to my bowspots, this fall! I'm fortunate to have areas close to home to hunt.

Question 1. Who treks on a bike to the hunt?

Question 2.  What kind of bike and accessories attached?

Question 3. Have you ever used the bike as a decoy or diversion?

Question 4. Any Pics?

In the early '90s i was using bike and then got lazy! Now I'm enjoying it again! Good shootin, Steve

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bikes and Bowhunting
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »
I just got one this year cause I have to do SOMETHING to get some excersize! I bought a Trex and attached bow holder to the handlebars, that's it. I did change to a bigger more padded seat and it needs fenders BAD.
The tires look flat when I'm on it no matter how much air I put in?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Ron Leclair will be posting on here soon.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I have been using my mountain bike for a place a few miles from my house.

There's a couple big bucks hanging out in this small patch of timber and it's next to a busy road with no real good place to park except next to the road.

The bike lets me sneak in and out and no one knows I have even been there. I plan on adding a rear rack during the hunting season next year and using it more.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I use my kids mountain bike and ride down an old railroad grade to access some public land near my house. It gets me away from the average hunters in just a few minutes!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Oh Kiiiinnnnggg   :wavey:  !!!!!! (kingwouldbe)
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline BigArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
I've been biking in elk hunting for the last few years.  I have a good light and a rack on the back with panniers.  I can carry extras in the panniers or keep some things that might be nice to have but not needed enought to pack around. Extra rope, spare knife, snacks, rain gear on a long day out.
I also packed out an elk with a quarter tied onto the rack and another on my back and walked the bike out. Two trips was all it took once I got the elk to the logging road.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I'm using my bike this year after a year off. Little hole caught me off guard and went right over the bars last night! I've got a gun rack mounted on my bar extensions. Need to be careful I don't try to go between narrow trees, but it works pretty well. Trying to figure out how to attach treestand on rack as I don't like wearing it. Anyone use a trailer?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Here's a pic of my buddies Curtis "Littlefeather" Kellar and Robin "Roughcountry" Severe on an Oregon elk adventure a few years ago.

Curtis

I took a pretty nasty tumble on mine one evening at the end of a long day. You want to be careful on the steep downhill grades when tired.
  :knothead:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks for the replys, gentlemen! Nice pics and good looking rides!

I've been wondering about using my mountain bike, for a block or diversion on trails to push the deer down the trail or area I'm set-up at. Also a crazy idea, of using burlap,and cardboard or foam to make a decoy and place at the field edge. Any thougths? good shootin, Steve

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Used a bike one year when I was Bear hunting ,sure worked out great.in and out with no truck noise
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I used mine for several years.  I shot a small buck one year.  I was able to field dress him, and while still laying on the ground I put the seat into the chest cavity and tied the front legs to the head.  Put the head over the handle bars.  I was able to pick up the bike and deer and ride the whole thing out of the woods.
capt eddie

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by capt eddie:
I used mine for several years.  I shot a small buck one year.  I was able to field dress him, and while still laying on the ground I put the seat into the chest cavity and tied the front legs to the head.  Put the head over the handle bars.  I was able to pick up the bike and deer and ride the whole thing out of the woods.
you might have invented a whole new kind of padded seat that could be in every bike store (season permitting)
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
The best thing about biking is the rubber tires do not leave a scent trail and during the rut if you ride at a quick pace they think you are a deer and they do not get spooked. I use one in southern new jersey all the time just paint the shinny parts olive drab and your good to go.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Have used them in road closure areas for many years.  The little trailers for hauling kids have hauled out a lot of quartered up elk and deer.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
do you know where to buy the gun racks for placing a bow up front?
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
First year using a bike, going to laguna atascosa national refugee in texas these year and no motorized vehicles go inside, so it will be exciting
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Blackhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
I've been thinking about getting one my stand is about 1 mile as the crow flies but it's more than a mile and a half by logging road.  It takes a while to stalk in.  Balloon tire would be a plus.  Found one at wally world for less than a $100.00.  :coffee:
"When Bows shoot faster than 300 fps it ain't called Bowhunting no more!"

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Gerardo, they sell them at Cabela's.  I also use a mountain bike for traveling to and from my sites. Duplicolor makes drab temporary spray paint that you can use to go stealth mode, then at the end of the season, you can use a high pressure nozzle on your garden hose to remove it.  My bike is neon yellow before the season, then flat black during it.
As far as a bike rack is concerned, my longbow fit perfectly on the back of my Badlands pack, but this year I'm going with the ATV rifle mounts as my feathers were getting sandblasted from the gravel muck, and my arrows were sliding out of my bowquiver without me realizing.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
I cover many miles & use the heck out of mine. Would like to see a well designed bowrack for it. Thinking about an easy way to pull my deer cart with it also.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©