3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bikes and Bowhunting  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bikes and Bowhunting
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I thought about this alot, I have a nice moutain bike, but I live about 45 min from where I hunt. I wish I lived close to my hunting ground so I could give this a try!! sounds purdy cool!! Jason

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
My Lone Wolf climber fits nicely on the back strapped down to the rear baskets.  I hunt with a Fred Bear t/d which I put in a canvas pouch strapped to the handlebars. I quarter the deer out where ever I find it and put the meat in a garbage bag in my backpack and hike back to the bike.  I then put some of the meat in each rear basket, in garbage bags and keep some in my backpack for the ride to my jeep.

please post images no wider than 640 - it's easy to have photobucket do this for ya automatically -  how to autosize photobucket images  - thanx!
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Blackhat, ask around , someone probably has one cheap you can buy. Kind of like Exercise equipment. My son and I, picked ours up at a house during  spring clean-up for free. My son spray painted everything in flat black!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
That was a cool hunt Charlie  :bigsmyl:  

Great picks guys  :thumbsup:  I finally had good winds again and used my bike to sneak into my spot were the big bucks are hanging out.

Worked like a champ again except the biguns were across the field while a pretty good buck with a doe came right by me. He saw the big guys and hauled but out of there  :biglaugh:  

The bike is working great but it's supposed to be 29 degres in the morning and it's going to be a cold ride. Keep the picks coming!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline pappabearsnuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
I've used mine for turkey hunting in the national forest where the logging roads were closed to motorized vehicles. Put a rear rack on the back with some milk crates straped on as panniers. Haven't used it for deer hunting yet mainly because of the rains we've been getting. But scouted on it this summer  without spooking game. Had deer coming closer to check me out. If I could just get them as curious about me in my stand would be great.
Genesis 27:3

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
This will be my 2nd year hunting with a bike on a nat refuge.  Like others, I use a gun rack made for atv's mounted to the front handlebars.  I also have a mount for my handheld gps (I do a lot of mtn biking in the summer) This year I finally got my cart rigged up to bike (last weekend) I rode my wife(115lb) up and down our road, no probs, also my 210lb neighbor uphill-easy.  The land I hunt is all flat.  I hunted from the ground all last year and will use the trailer to get my stand into the woods when neccessary and to get a deer or hog out if I strike gold. My bike is a Specialized full suspension (easy on the cheeks)  

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
I do Steve.I like a 2 piece longbow.Especially when I go deeper on narly trails.Packs easy,takes up little space and assembles fast with no tools.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »
Gerardo- just about any hunting or sporting goods store will have the bow rack-actually gun racks for atv's, I got mine at basspro for 25-35 bucks I think.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »
used one one time....wrecked....absolutely destroyed an ma111 graybark.....huge scratchs and one big chunk outta the handle....those oregon coast logging roads are hell when you eat it doin 60 man   :readit:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
I use a 26" Barry Fisher. I have a bow/gun rack on the handlebars and black saddlebags. I painted the entire bike flat black. I usually put all my hunting clothes into the saddlebags and dress lightly for the ride out. I get to within 200 yds of my stand and dress in the woods. In fact I'm heading out this Monday. Opening day! I'll try to get some pictures.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Dang Trooper! No gears????

I have a ten speed....makes life easier uphill
:-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
Hey Biggie,
Not many hills here in South Louisiana.  The bike does have gears though; you just can't see them because of my good camo paint job (LOL).
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline mtnbike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
I've used my mtn bike a lot to get into areas behind locked gates on forest service road. Have also hauled out 2 elk (quartered). The bike is an excellent option to cover some ground quietly.
opportunityisnowhere....
56" Big Jims TC  [email protected]!
56" Big Jims Thunderchild 55@28
60" Orig Schafer/Windauer 56@28
60" Silvertip 64@28
58" Homepro/Schafer limbs 60@28
62" Bears' Paw Longbow 63@28"

Offline scram1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
where can you find a rack to go on the back

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
Planning an elk hunt in Colorado next year. We used bike there years ago and it was a blast. No motor vehicle traffic to bother you. Haul our gear in a mile+ to our base camp then ride up early in the am.
Really need to get in shape before then. Hauled the bow on my pack but will be looking at other options for this trip.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
John, I have seen the racks at Dick's Sporting goods store's around here.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I've been thinking about getting one myself. I see that their is no fenders,what do you guys do when its muddy?

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Sweeeeeet topic!

I deer hunt in and around some homes just outside the city limits. Usually, I walk in, but it would be nice to cover the first mile on a paved road in a matter of minutes. One of my fears is getting passed in the dark by someone going/coming to work. With me wearing camo and carrying a bow I fear I will get harassed.

For those of you who ride, do you ever get passed by commuter traffic? If so, what has the response, if any, been?

Thanks!

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
Mathew, maybe if you carry a flourecent vest for travel. Things came together for my hunt tonight. Rode the bike to my area, and ran into a button buck, and the story begins! Try to get it on here tommorrow!  Keep biking and Good shootin, Steve

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Weekend Warrior:
I've been thinking about getting one myself. I see that their is no fenders,what do you guys do when its muddy?
Get a brown stripe up your back.    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©