3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bikes and Bowhunting  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bikes and Bowhunting
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by str8jct:
 This year I finally got my cart rigged up to bike (last weekend)  
Great Job Dwight.
Just curious what you used or built to attach the cart to your bike. Any close-up photos?  I have basically the same bike and same cart and thought there should be a good way to use them together.
Thanks,  Ron
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Oh yeah I've been using my Trek mountain bike for years to Spring Bear and Fall Elk.  
-Rear rack acts as a fender. I dont have a front fender but should.
-If you attach a game cart I would go to the rear axle vs. the seat post.  Much more stable.
-Attaching a bow...I use the handlebar extensions that attach to the ends of your handlebars and stick out about 6 inches forward.  You can install them angled up (room for your hands to reach under the bow to grasp the handles)and wrap the metal with pipe insulation and tape.  Then I use two thin/small bungees to secure the bow to each side.  This works really well and doesnt add much weight.

Try to keep weight to a minimum if you have hills.  We have a few out here!!

-watch out for rutts that grab your front tire and dump you out!!
-watch out for Moose in the road when you are coming out in the dark at 20 mph!!
LOL.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I had a few requests for details on my setup so I'll do the best I can.  Disclaimer: This is maybe not the best way but a way that worked for me.  If you will be on a lot of hills I'd try a different connection.

The 1st thing I did was legnthen the handle by bolting on square tubing and adding side rails to keep my load from hitting the wheels and causing a crash. The longer handles allowed better use as a hand cart and be pushed or pulled wheel barrow style, much easier.  I used hitch pins to connect a crossbar at the end of the handles and drilled a hole in the center for connection.  This is my pivot point for turning.

More to come.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
The next step was to connect to the bike.  I think an axle connection is better but was not practical because of the type of cart I was using. I also wasn't thrilled about drilling into my seatpost. I got a thin lightweight piece of metal from Lowes for about $4. I cut it twice the length I needed and bent it around the seatpost and used a bolt and nylon nut to snug it down. The connection wasn't tight enough to keep high off the tire so I used two hose clamps to keep and the optimum height.  Then, I used another piece of square tubing and bolted it between the tag ends of the bent piece.  I used two bolts to keep it from having up and down action.  I drilled a hole at the end and used a 1/4 in hitch pin to connect it to the cart.  This worked good until I was pulling my brother around and the pin bent and dumped him out backwards.  I'll get another pin and use a spring key to prevent that in the future.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
The way it is setup with two side to side pivots allows for easy turning.  I have a steep place in my backyard that caused the cart to try to pass me and it got out of kilter a little bit.  Screwing the bar to the seatpost would most likely fix that.  Also I'm not sure how well this setup would be on bike without rear suspension.  If anybody has any more questions or larger pics, feel free to ask.

Also the trails I ride are actually two track roads so my "longhorn steer" handle bars don't snag on any limbs or trees.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Frank, sorry for jackin your thread.  

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanks for posting Str8jct. Looks like you have a great set-up there. Ron
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Dwight, that's a sweet ride! Glad to see all these set-ups. Where you at in Alabama? My brother live in Hartselle. Anyway, now we needs some pic of animals on those rides, good shootin, Steve

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Man I have had trouble with people messin with my truck in areas I hunt. I think I see my Trek in camo soon! Great thread and pics!
Mike Davenport

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
I use mine on some trails to hunt mule deer and elk.Alot of biking trails the animals get quit use to the travel of bikes and human scent.I like big archers idea of walking bike with two quarters.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
Sorry Frank.....hadda pick myself up offa the floor when I read your post.

Not from your question.....it just made me remember a story by Patrick F. McManus-My first deer and welcome to it.

Straps a deer in a sitting position behind him, ties it's front feet to the handlebars, starts pedaling home. Halfway down the hill.....the deer wakes up.

Fell out of my chair laughing about it. Hilarious story.   :biglaugh:

But, don't see anything crazy or wrong about it. Whatever ya wanna do if you enjoy it.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
I have every book Mcmanus has ever written....great stories.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I used to use mine quite a bit, but my current properties don't lend themselves as well to bike travel.

A couple observations I had.  Just like someone on the first page here mentioned, if you ride at a certain speed, it really does sound like deer going through the leaves.  A couple times I literally rode right into bowrange on deer that would've long scattered first had I been on foot.  The cadence through the leaves sounded very much like deer trotting/running through.  I also think it'd leave no scent for those times when your only access point necessitates walking/riding over trails upon which deer may have to use to get to your stand.

Secondly, back in the days before the strap-on headlights we often use now, I would sometimes carry a Mini-Mag in my hand, or even in my mouth as I negotiated a farmer's lane in the dark.  Well one morning it was pretty moonlit so I was tooling down the lane w/o a light and all of sudden the trail "moved" and I literally had driven into/onto/amongst a family of coons.  Just glad it wasn't skunks.   :)
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
The McManus story was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this topic.  I have them all.  If, incidently, you haven't checked lately, he is writting mysteries now.  Just came out with his third one.  All classic McManus humor, but pretty good "who-dun-its" too!  Check them out!

This is a great thread.  I didn't realize so many folks used their bikes to hunt.  Why not?  Just be sure you have those broadheads covered up well.  Be bad to take a spill and land on about 6 of them.
Silence is golden.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Yes Mcmanus is funny, and Maggie McGee,loved their stories also!

Bryce, you're right, it takes a certain area or situation. I have those go too spots, if time is short and the bike helps. Alot of credit to those in hilly or mountainous areas!

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
First for Terry, I know this isn't Pop. Mechs.  :D  

Now, in the latest issue of said mag, there is an article about hauling style bikes, and attachments.

Looking foward to biking in the leaves this fall!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Great thread! Trek Bontager w/homemade cart. Panniers keep bow & quiver in vertical position while going through woods. Bow & quiver in panniers, then tie to seatpost to maintain upright stability. Plenty room for extra gear esp water. Careful on loose dirt up or down hills as per Charlie page 1.

Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©