3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bikes and Bowhunting  (Read 1314 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bikes and Bowhunting
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
I've cut my camera checking time in half.  I just covered my  aluminium GT with flat black and added a rack.  Been walking way too long.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
This is awesome! I just recently heard that people use bikes for bowhunting, what a great idea.

I am definitely gonna have to get my bike setup for this. There are starting to be more and more companies like xtracycle that are making "sports utility" bikes that have the ability to haul lots of stuff.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
:)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
JFTR, modern mtn bike gearing makes peddling uphill way easier near as walking. Flatter or downhill surfaces can fly! Chain mine to a tree once in hunt area. Dull painted also repels thieves.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Johnnylongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Hey Guys I have done some hunting using a bicycle.
This past spring I was in Florida hunting Osceola Turkey. I am a retired pro cyclist so the bike is an extension of me.However I would recommend it to anyone looking to get to out of the way hunting spots, which usually means less pressure on game. Some of the things I recommend is getting a rear rack.I have found a method to strap on your stuff.Take a old bike tube and cut the stem off and use that as a strap, works really well. also keep in mind that the lower the center of gravity the better the ride.So anything high and heavy will alter your efficiency. I think this is a great way to hunt if possible.      
 Practice before you go out to hunt will give you an Idea of how to balance the load before your worried about the sun's arrival.or departure for that matter.
 Another thing I have found that always hide your bike and pay close attention to WHERE YOU PUT IT!
I have spent time following a bloodless bike trail in the dark..haha
A head lamp is better than a fixed bike mount,when going around bends the bike light doesn't point on the trail.  
 Good to see people in the back country under their own power.
To all my bowhunting brothers &Sisters Happy trails and good hunting

Offline Johnnylongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Real cool, John! Thanks for the tips and pic!

The longbow looks good, too!

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Where can ya find a COMFY seat?  Last year me & the wife bought a couple of mountain bikes from a guy.  He said he only used his once.  I believe it, cause after I rode mine 1 time my butt was killin' me.  :eek:   Just writin' about it makes it start hurtin' again.  It didn't seem to bother the wife, butt I gave it up.  Now I've gotta mountain bike only ridin' twice.   :knothead:    :help:

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Walmart.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
If you ride the bike enough to get comfortable and break in your muscles, you'll get used to the seat.  If there is any chance that you might require surgery to detach yorself from the seat after a ride, then you might want to look into a wider one, though.

I like both a bike-mounted light AND a headlamp.  I can move my head around a little more that way, but still see the path with peripheral vision.

Whatever your set-up, be sure to take a few test rides with your pack on, bow, arrows, gloves, etc.  You will be surprised at what that tells you.  You'll hear rattles, not be able to brake, catch camo pant legs in the chainring, lose your balance, your bow will fall off to one side, get pack straps caught in the tire or spokes, etc.  My neighbors must have thought I was nuts riding around in the dark with all camo clothes, riding my bike with a bow and arrows and pack.  But I solved all my problems in the comfort of my home!
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Here is my $50 used Mongoose with the cart my father in law made many moons ago.  I rigged a milk cart to an aluminum rack and secured a piece of metal to the rack to make the hitch for the cart.  Bow mounts on back but all my riding is on access roads that are "no motorized vehicle allowed", very wide and clear. Also, I live in the flat lands, very easy going.

>>>------Scott------->

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Wow, that's a nice setup!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Nice Scott! Like the camo job, too.  :thumbsup:

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks guys. This thing pulls so nice. My kids put some boat seats on it and I pulled them around. Makes it real nice when it is time to set stands over a mile deep in the woods. Thinking about a cheap sled to put on it to make the drag to the cart easier. Wanting to work more efficiently after back surgery.
>>>------Scott------->

Offline swamprat26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
I bought a Mongoose cheapie from Wal Mart back in July for exercise.  Bought a cheap bike to see if I would get into it before investing in a better bike.  Well tonight the gear seat broke apart and is not worth repairing.  I am going look at Trek's tomorow.  Looking at the 4300 disk or 3900 disk.  Anybody have any exp with Trek?  Curious as to how big of jump and quality of ride It will be. I been riding about 50 miles a week and getting in a lot better shape.  Lost 52 pounds so far, 23 more to go

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I've had a Trek Bontager for awhile. Great quality. Expensive though. Works great for in/out of the woods distance wise. Always lock mine to a tree & conceal it w/brush while I'm hunting.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
I have used mine a couple of times here in NJ, unfortunately here in central and south Jersey we have a lot of sand and It's real tough to peddle or even walk with the bike through that stuff, but a bike could be a real good piece of equipment in many situations.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
do you have a pic of how its connected to the seat post or rack?  wondering about turning or when you have to lean into a turn.
    [/QB][/QUOTE]
"Us vs Them"

Offline swamprat26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
Just bought a trek 4300 today. Can't wait to get home and ride.

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
I have used mine a couple of times here in NJ, unfortunately here in central and south Jersey we have a lot of sand and It's real tough to peddle or even walk with the bike through that stuff, but a bike could be a real good piece of equipment in many situations.
I agree totally, if its not hard pack your better off walking. lots of sand around here, its all bottoms.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©