3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The kids arrow  (Read 263 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
The kids arrow
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I got to hunt with my seven year old boy on Sunday. I was feeling a little blue because the giant deer I was hunting got killed by a wheelie-hunter buddy of mine on the property we hunt together. Blue mind you because I had him set up and needed the right wind to kill him, but happy because my friend didn't know any better and killed him anyway.

What I needed was some mojo. I was going to another farm where another giant buck lived and kill him. When I announced this to my wife I got "the look". You guys know the one....I had promised to take my eldest bowhunting and the giant would have to wait.

So with snacks packed, camo and face paint on, we made our way to the stand. A great evening with good wind, good weather, and a plan. My mind drifted to the giant buck but I settled in with my boy on a buddy stand.

Mike Davenport

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The kids arrow
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Pricless!!  :thumbsup:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Good times. Looks like your man-building.
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
After a few snacks (man kids eat alot) and many conversations on everything from quietness in the woods to who would win a fight between Spiderman and Ironman, we got down to it. Squirrels were dropping nuts, owls were starting their nightly rituals, and leaves were turning near under light-footed animals. At 50 yards the boy spotted the first one: a long-nosed old doe who was very cautious and quiet. The 4 others behind her not so much. They owed alot to this old girl I told my son. She was what kept them safe. He enjoyed the lesson and smiled when she turned and kicked the button buck that was wearing out his welcome.

At 35 yards they held the ridge and began walking away. Seth wispered "Dad, why don't you shoot. You can do it!" To his displeasure I let them walk and smiled at his frown. I explained that I shoot animals with my own choice of weapons now, and that distance was just too far. He understood but I could tell he wanted me to shoot.

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
At once we heard a rucus up ahead and a flash of white. A giant coyote had lept onto the scene scattering the little band of gypsies everywhere. The boy became unglued. "What was that?" he yelled. Another hunter I said. That was the best explanation I had at the time.

Blowing, stomping, and running and the old dog had been duped. He slunk off in search of a mouse or shrew. However, he left us other hunters something.

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
At ten yards the young doe had no clue. She needed to quarter some and the shot would be mine. This would be neat. My boy on stand with me while I took just my 10th deer with traditional tackle. As I prepared for the shot a quiet voice said "Dad". That's all it took for me to know something was wrong. Like he had written a four page letter explaining his meaning. "Dad". I turned to see a look of puzzlement on the young man's face. He shook his head no. Tension off the string, I let the young deer slowly walk away.

He explained that the young deer didn't need to get shot. It had dodged the other hunter and shooting her would not be right or fair. He said to me "You've killed lots of big bucks. Let's wait for one." So we did...except he never came.

As we were going out in the dark I was reminded of how I had gone from a die-hard trophy huntin' fool to a softy in one day. I can't tell you how greatful I am to the lessons learned from a seven-year old boy who I hope never changes. He will grow up to be a better hunter than me, because of me, and in spite of me  :)  

When we were coming in the woods that day we saw a rainbow. I told him it might be the coolest thing we see today. I was wrong...and so glad.

Mike Davenport

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Aweomse story. Thanks for sharing.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
What a read. Always good to see father and son in the outdoors...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JJA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
first time I took my oldest out he wouldn't stop talking and fidgeting around-I didn't want to discourage him so I didn't say much. After the evening hunt we went back to camp and had a great meal and shared the campfire time. As we went out the next day I asked him if he was disappointed we didn't see anything and of course he was so I reinforced the need for him to be quiet and still. 15 minutes later he looks at me with big eyes and says "theres a deer" I said ssshhhh. Then he said fairly loudly "its a buck" again I said sshhh as I turned and looked here comes this decent buck not 20 yards away. couldn't believe he didn't hear him. The buck worked around in some cover and started to walk away-no shot and my boy says "aren't you going to shoot him?" right then the buck turned broadside took a step and stopped right where there was a very small hole to his vitals-I sent one through both lungs and he jumped a couple times walked a few more yards and stood there in plain view until he dropped. My son couldn't believe it! He helped me dress and drag it-not only one of my best hunts but one of the best experiences I've ever had with one of my 5 kiddos!!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Oh, and the answer is Ironman...

;)
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
When I got back home and told my wife of the hunt she looked at me as to say "I told you so." Yes, you guys know that one too. I put my boy to bed that night knowing something great was building here.

The next morning before school during the coarse of the morning breakfast rush at our house, we made a manly pact. I would have a special arrow that would be ours. Even if he wasn't with me, it would be ours. I will only use it on a giant buck. Whenver that is. The kids arrow is now waiting in my quiver for the right buck. I will kill other deer this year God willing, but the first good buck this arrow is launched at will be the kids' buck. Talk about mojo...we'll let you know when that happens  :)

Mike Davenport

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Thats awsome!! love the stories!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Thanks everyone! JJA that is so cool! It'll happen for us I hope someday too.

Bowspirit, we had the same answer but the boy thinks the webslinger will take 'em  :)
Mike Davenport

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©