3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sooooo Close...  (Read 562 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Sooooo Close...
« on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Sadly, no bloody arrow at the end of this tale...

For the past 7 years, since I was old enough to bowhunt, I've been fighting a loosing battle against a deerless curse. Had a few chances at a doe or two, but none as close as today.
 I HAD planned to hunt out of an ambush site today, right along a rub line. Thought that I'd see a deer. Never expected my chance to come while getting there.
 I was about 50-100 yards from where I wanted to be, when the trail passed between to hills. I spotted a cluster of gray birch atop one that would break up my outline and allow me to get a better view without being spotted.
 Still can't believe that at the very moment I stopped, I spotted a forkhorn within twenty paces from me, just going about his business. I have never, NEVER, felt such a rush. There he was. I remember getting an arrow on the string, but he never offered a decent shot. Well, at one point he did, but it was a real thread-the-needle shot that I just didn't feel comfortable with.
 Sadly, after a while I felt the wind shift against the back of my neck. We all know how that situation ends. Still, what an absolute rush. I love bowhunting, but I was starting to believe a deer wasn't in the cards for me. This experiance was epic for me, and enough to renew my vigor. What a time.

Just thought I'd share. Wouldn't have been possible without alot of you. And hey, the seasons just starting, and possibilities are endless...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sooooo Close...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
I bet I've seen that look on your face before my friend.

When you coming up here to use a tag?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Thats a great read my friend! It will all come together for you.
Let me know if I can help in any way...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
YEAAAAAAH BRO, thats what is all about eh? glad ya finally saw one on the mountain! just put your time in (like your doing) and good things will happen! i am sooooo happy ya got to see one today! GREAT spot right there, just ask Chuck as you were only 50 yards for the big rock where he saw a nice buck!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline JJA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Einstein said:" It's not that I'm so smart, its just that I stick with problems longer. Stick with it and you will succeed!"

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I remember getting an arrow on the string, but he never offered a decent shot. Well, at one point he did, but it was a real thread-the-needle shot that I just didn't feel comfortable with.  
Kudos to you for holding back and showing restraint on the shot. I hope your season is a pleasurable and succesful one.  :)
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Chris is a quick learner and one heck of a shot, it is a pleasure to hunt with him and call him a friend. as soon as we get a chance (this weekend) lets move the beech stand down between the 2 roads on that little flat with the rubs as i think he is really working that area. there is a KAZILLION acorns which will bring them right in. that whole mountain is only hunted by a VERY FEW of us during bow season which gives you a great chance at making meat. go get em bro!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
I snuck up to 40yds from a doe on the weekend before the wind shifted and a buck, hiding in the bush, busted me. it certainly is quite a rush, keep going and good luck
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tioga:

I remember getting an arrow on the string, but he never offered a decent shot. Well, at one point he did, but it was a real thread-the-needle shot that I just didn't feel comfortable with.  
Kudos to you for holding back and showing restraint on the shot. I hope your season is a pleasurable and succesful one.   :)  [/b]
My thoughts exactly, good for you and soon enough you will connect!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by over&under:

Originally posted by Tioga:

Kudos to you for holding back and showing restraint on the shot. I hope your season is a pleasurable and succesful one.    :)   [/b]
My thoughts exactly, good for you and soon enough you will connect! [/b]
X3 I know guys been hunting longer than you have that don't know how to do that.And they have to see the dog tracker every year.

When the time is right you'll connect.  :readit:    :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 06:16:00 AM »
Chris, your day will come, enjoy every one   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »
Chris - That was your warm up. It is only a matter of time before you harvest your first deer. I really respect your decision to not take a shot that didn't feel right. Your invited to hunt with Ken and I on sat. if you would like to.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
Chris, I am about to leave for deer camp for the weekend. Thank you for your example, and renewed hope for my own hunt. Friends living up to their friends' examples is how we get better as we take our own journeys.

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Thats a good spot Chris, I was up there the other day and in them acorns there were tracks and droppings all over. You did good waiting for the "good" shot, many guys who have been at this along time can't or won't do that....well done.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Chris, The Great One was testing you to see if you were "worthy" of taking this bucks life. It appears to me that you have made the right decision and passed his test. When an animal decides to give it's life to you,a feeling comes over you like no other feeling ever has. You will know that the time is right,and the Great Spirit will guide your arrow to it's mark. I have a good feeling that the next time you and this buck meet,it will be time. Only you will know for sure if it is right. I will send smoke and ask the Creator for his help.

Good Luck Little Brother!!!!!  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
That's what it's all about...the journey, not the destination.

Few years ago I was scouting, stopped to look around and twenty yards away I see a tree shaking. I manage to sneak a little closer, peek through the trees and see a medium size buck making a rub. Season wasn't open yet but it really pumped me up. He had no idea I was even there.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Hang in pal, as you know sometimes all it takes is a close encounter to make life long memories.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Good luck Chris. No doubt you'll make the shot the when the time is right.

Chuck, that was beautiful!  :thumbsup:
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Hang in there bud it will happen!!! I agree with woodchucker's approach.  Every time I have a situation start to  come together or fall apart in front of me, I always remind myself, "don't force it, let the woods give it to you." It really helps me stay vigilant and patient.  Good luck on the rest of the season.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
7 years of valuable lessons. When your time comes, and it will, you'll move quickly up the ladder. You've earned it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©