3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Michigan deer down yet??  (Read 532 times)

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Michigan deer down yet??
« on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
None for me anyway. I was out once, last saturday and did not see anything. I am all
geeked up for tomarrow. Can't wait.
How about you guys??

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Michigan deer down yet??
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
notdodger,
Not for me yet! Been a little slow around here.
I had a buddy shoot two does open morning. Same morning he missed 1 buck and another doe!
Then on the 3rd he killed another doe out of the same stand!
Since then he hasn't seen a deer!
Good Luck to you!

chris <><

Offline DoubleJ1929

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Haven't made it out yet..  This weekend will be the first try...  and first time to ever carry trad bow to the woods.  Haven't been this excited in a while...
Morrison Dakota  58" 56@28  
Bob Lee Signature  60"  56@28
 Bear Super Grizzly  58"  50@28  
Robertson Falcon Vision  60"   61@27

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
DoubleJ1929,
Wish you all the best with the trad bow!
Nothing better then a trad bow kill!!!

chris <><

Offline notdodger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Good luck too you Double! It's alot better I think than a compound. I took my first with a
recurve 3 years ago and I don't have the words.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
None down but a few misses.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
Have not drawn the bow yet.

Have not seen an antler yet either.

Opening morning, I was within easy bow range of a smallish doe, but it was quartering towards me, until the wind switched.

And last sunday evening I had a few travel past me, but it was too dark with all the heavy cloud cover.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I was THIS close to droppin the string on a big ol'gal tonight, but they cought me. Gettin a little closer every day so hopefully it wont be long.

Nobody around me has seen a horn yet.

Eric

Offline DoubleJ1929

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Thought it was going to happen my first time out.  Had a spike and a 3pt at 15 yds but chose not to shoot.  Had several does in the field but none fed in close enough, 30 yds was closest.  Had a real nice 3.5 yr old 9pt fedding out for over an hour.  He was actually chasing does around quite a bit.  Couple of times I swore they were going ot run right in on me...  Would have been a first for me with the stick bow and from the ground.  Great night and looks like a promising weekend!!!

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 11:50:00 AM »
I haven't been seeing a lot of deer especially the couple of times I've been on state land. Went out this morning on some private land and got this guy, a little 5 pt. Only deer I saw this morning.

Offline DoubleJ1929

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Way to go JSimon!!!!!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
This morning was my first hunt this yr in MI and I shot a doe this morning which was missing part of a leg about 5 minutes into first light. On the front leg from the knee down there was a stump. Kind of a mercy kill. I took a shot I normally wouldn't, only 12 yds, but only could get about 3/4 draw due to limbs in the way of my bow limbs. I just picked the spot knowing I couldn't draw fully. I was lucky with a pass through and 30 yd tracking job. Probably only 1.5 yr old so not large, but thought it was appropriate to kill her with the winter approaching. I let a forkie pass a bit later in the morning.

Of note: I jumped a buck in the dark this morning walking in. I know it was a mature buck because I could smell him from 12 yds from where he was bedded! This was the first time I ever smelled a whitetail and I have shot a few mature bucks and it is unmistakeable when you compare the odor to a young buck. Usually I don't even try to see what they are in the dark when I bump some, and I didn't, until I smelled him. Now I wish I would have looked harder. I was really close too. Oh well.
-matt

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Nice buck JSimon

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
12yd. shot OCT 1st. at first light. 70yd follow up. I got some meat in the freez, now I will hunt some horn and does.

C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I'll be in the U.P. near Iron River giving it a go in 3-days. Can't wait! Love hunting them whitetails!

Almost forgot....congrats to you successful tradgangers!
Chuck

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Congrats guys!!! Way to start the season off right.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
ttt

Any more Michigan deer?

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
My son Jamison shot this 7 pt last week while I was in Ireland for the week, I asked him to e-mail me the play-by-play...
 Well it was a cloudy evening with winds calming down by 5pm, I was nice and cozy in dads stand and about 6:00  I saw one buck far away as you look just a little left kinda near my stand but never saw him close. All I was thinking is I hope Droste didn't  see a deer so I can be one up on him... so I just kept waiting ... next I had to deal with little white bird hanging on the leaves upside down!!! I thought for sure at first it was white deer tail and scared the crap out of me. Then about 6:30 I heard what I knew for sure was a deer.. sure enough it was coming from straight  in front of me about 20 yrd. I didn't see horns and I looked for the long nose... and when I was confirmed I would try shooting this doe , then I saw the dark 1.5" horns and was like really... but then there was something following the button buck. so I had the button buck to my right at 20 yards and was trying to get out of my cozy position quietly ,then I saw it was a nice buck stepping out of the same spot the little guy came from and I was only half way stood up which made being quiet a extreme challenge... but I did manage to stand up without either noticing. I knew this was between a 6 to 8 point so I was very excited. It was standing about 35yrds and I couldn't get the shot because of the leaves on my tree so I drew back knowing it would take a similar path as little button buck. So this gave me the extra time to fling the knock on my lip and level my bow. After the buck took a couple more steps it was about 20yrds broadside in the opening to my right and stood still for a couple seconds and I released. I saw the arrow hit high and a little back ( barely scraped the tenderloin  just behind the ribs. I could see the arrow went through both sides but was still in the deer. As it ran along the edge of the field in the right opening, I could just see the blood coming out and all I could think is "man I really hope that shot was good enough" so I'm standing in my stand texting Ben telling him I hit one and needed to wait to track it. WOW, I was so nervouce  I didn't put a good enough shot on that I wasn't going to get him. I was shaking like a homo in a tittie bar... so I waited for a good 30 min to let him die and not push him.  After waiting the 30 min it was only 7:15 so I got down slowly and went to where I shot. I was confident I would find blood because of how I seen it gushing when I shot. Sure enough I got to the hit site and there was a trail of blood a good 8 inches wide at minimum, easily a foot wide where he stopped. He followed the edge of the field going to the right and finally took a trail going towards the river. and of course me tracking alone for the first time I kept getting off trail a few feet thinking I was going to lose him then its like...DUH wrong way. so I finally get up to him in an area of tiny trees before the woods. so of corse I just get there and Droste calls me so I had to tell him the whole story and then I got to business. you know me... never gutted a deer. so I'm taking my time doing my best and when I pull the stomach it rips a little and I quickly got it out before it could spill. Then I hung his nuts high!!! so its dark now got him set to pull with my strap and lets just say I had the time of my life pullin that sucker outta the woods. Never got lost just not the stud I thought I was... so after many breaks I got him to the ditch by the road and pulled my car up. I did not care,  I was getting him on the wagon. so I got up there and pulled him up within a few min. drove 35 all the way home because I was afraid to drop him off in someones yard. Got to Schmitz and sure enough I had ten friends there in no time. feels great! then I took him to our house and hung him up to finish cleaning him up and washed him out. Mr. Buhn the science teacher stopped by because the garage was open and he was at the homecoming float building where Ben was. He was saying how it was a great deer with a bow and said it would be ok to hang overnight. It was like 40 degrees and late so I didn't know weather to take it to Thelens. So the next day I took it to Doug saying that its my first time field dressing so it might not be perfect and he took a look and said I did a great job. Which means I actually was paying attention to you all these years. So I was all high on life!!!! had a great time and will never forget.     yea I used my 4pts or bigger tag .I forgot DIDN'T have HELP... still well worth the drag!

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Awesome! Great Story. You guys are just down the road from me!

Offline 450 marlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
Back in the woods in the morning..22nd-28th are always kill days around here when they start looking for does..Roy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©