3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sometimes you just have to laugh.....  (Read 642 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sometimes you just have to laugh.....
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Was set-up under the biggest pear tree I've ever seen in my life tonight. Pears everywhere, and a second smaller tree dropping them like crazy too. 4 or 5 apple trees doing their part to add to the food supply in this abandoned orchard. Was watching a big gray tomcat hunting mice in the overgrown grass when he stops and gets real still, ears perked up watching down the run I was waiting on. Out come two young does on mild alert and he pounces on the first one! Those to deer exploded out of there flags in the air snorting and huffing. I almost fell over from laughing so hard! Sure he killed my chances on some freezer filler tonight but it was hilarious watching this wanabee Lion King that may have weighted nine pounds taking on a #100 doe and putting the run to her. There's always tomorrow to fill a tag, but this night will stay with me for a while.     :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sometimes you just have to laugh.....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Sounds like a pretty eventful evening Dave.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
You should take that cat, rabbit or squirrel hunting. Who needs a beagle!   :D
Daniel

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
My brother-in-law was at full draw and about to release when the 6 pt buck he was shooting at sneezed very loud.  Said is scared the @#$%@ out of him!  He didn’t shoot it because he ended up laughing because it did it 20+ times.  He killed the deer two years later as a 140ish 10PT…good thing for both that he sneezed when he did.

Sometimes it's the other things that happen when you’re out and about that mean more.

I watched a small hawk try to get a squirrel in a brush pile for 10 minutes once...never did get him but he  tried!

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Couple of weeks back I had a squirrel run around a big oak tree and leap onto a does back just as I was about to draw on her. Guess he squirrel was a little territorial about his acorns!  Your right, all you can do is laugh
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
A few yrs ago i watched a very small bobcat sneak up on 2 fawns like he was the king of the jungle. When he finally made his BIG move the 2 fawns turned on him and he fell on his back like a scared kitten. It was one of the coolest things i have ever seen while hunting.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
ha ha would have been funny to see!
have you seen that video of the cat chasing the black bear?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
I havent seen that one Andy but i can imagine that must be pretty funny.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
David, its a shame you didn;t have a video of that. I'm laughin just thinking about it.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
On an evening hunt about 10 years ago,a black cat brought me good luck.Walking in I saw him hunting in the tall grass.I guess he did not have much luck because an hour or so later here he came again.I thought,oh no double bad luck.It was not more than 30 minutes and nice 10pt buck comes chasing a doe past me.After chasing her in the tall weeds and losing sight of her. I was able to call him into about 10 yards for a slam dunk broadside shot.He only went about 30 yards after the shot.SO,now I hope I see another black cat on my way to the deer stand.
Bill

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
here's a link delete this if you dont want if on here Dave

There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I live for seeing stuf like that.  Once in New Mexico I saw a 5 month old (aprox) fawn chasing a big ol' tom turkey around this little meadow by a water hole.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Dave were you up to Pittsfield today or Pittsford?
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
That was last night rich down in Wallingford. Put new brakes on my truck today so shot back down there tonight and had one doe come in but no shot opportunity. Pittsfield in the morning tomorrow.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
my old house was about 3/4 of a mile from town center, houses all around, not much wooded areas.  I was out in my garage one morning in july, gluing up a BBO, with both overhead doors open...when I hear a bunch of commotion behind me.   I start walking out to the driveway and before I get half way through the garage bay two does go zipping past...followed a few seconds later by my neighbors cat.  it was too funny!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
That is funny.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
Several years ago, while turkey hunting, I was calling in a nice open hardwoods area next to a field. After a short time I could hear a couple of Toms answering so I sat down with a big tree as a back rest and got ready. I would call and they would answer. Soon I didn't have to call at all they were just gobbling away trying to outdo each other. Nothing better than two hot Toms coming in! Then I saw some movement...a hen...she was coming right at me with those two Toms hot on her trail about 20 yds back. Between me and her was a path that led through a stone wall into the field. I figured she would take the trail into the field and when the Toms got to it I would take one. Well she had other plans. She kept coming to me. I was camoed head to toe except for my eyes. I lowered my head and stared at my feet. I listened as the crunch of leaves got louder.A couple minutes later turkey toes not 6" from my toes and she stops! I don't know about the rest of you guys but I am a curious sort and love nature so of course I had to look. I slowly raised my head and there she was within arms length of my face looking around...very cool!

I guess it was only a few seconds before she caught sight of two eyeballs looking at her from that big "bush". Her neck stretched out and I got that one eye stare that they do. A half second later this turkey actually gasped and fell over backwards. She scrambled to her feet and hightailed it outta there giving the warning putt the whole way. Of course the Toms beat feet as well. At that point it didn't matter cause I was laughing so hard I couldn't shoot em even if they stood still.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
:cool:

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
A couple years ago while elk hunting, I was waiting for my ride back to camp in the evening darkness. There was a small owl in a tree that kept buzzing by my head, then would land back in the tree. Kind of like a mosquito buzzing around your head. I finally figured out he was looking at the turkey feather fletched arrows in my quvier, which were right behind my head! He must have thought it was a small bird.

I rmoved my quiver and set it on the ground ,adn he never bothered me again.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I love bow hunting. i never see that stuff during rifle season.  Once had a deer get spooked by a squirrel who fell out of a tree.  The deer turned and knocked himself out on a tree.  He came to a few seconds later and quickly, dizzily walked off.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©