3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Versus: The Buck Stops Here/Trad hunt  (Read 989 times)

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Versus: The Buck Stops Here/Trad hunt
« on: October 10, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I saw a great show on Versus called The Buck Stops Here with Michael Hanback.
They were hunting with Eliot and Luke Strommen on the Milk River in Montana.
Eliot and his son Luke are traditional archers and Luke manages to shoot a great buck on video.
They do a lot of ground hunting and small drives.
Luke does a great job explaining the mystique and romance behind traditional bowhunting.
Check it out!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Versus: The Buck Stops Here/Trad hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
I saw that one too. A pleasant change from some of the other shows.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I too saw that, and was glad to see some trad equipment/guides were involved.

I have, admittedly, a bad habit. Hate it, but can't stop myself from doing so.

Regardless of the type of equipment used, I like comparing all the aspects of the shot, angle, penetration and all involved in the trail to recovery......but wrongfully, do so with a high level of scepticism when I dont have a continuing strip of film to view and it is the normal stop / restart the normally follow.

Again...this is just me and how I watch tv shows on hunting and it is not a good thing, yet I always seem to notice something "off kilter".

Watching the shot, the arrow shows a solid forward hit with ALL the fletching still on the shot side of the deer in clear view as it runs off.

Later, when showing the arrow to the guy who has this show, the feathers are laid back and bloody as they are passing through.

It's obvious to ME that either the arrow got pulled through either by brush or by the hunter before we got to see the deer. No problem there.

However, the comment made on showing the arrow to the other hunter was "man, you really BURIED that arrow".

Yep, that IS nitpicking but I still dislike information given not agreeing with what was seen.

A simple "the arrow must have gotten pulled through after it hit" would have made the entire shot sequence" more on the "up and up" but only TO ME, maybe.

I started doing this years ago when I started noticing, on othere shows, not this one in particular where arrow placement and several things following didnt agree.

The most radical of such was one years back where the hunter shot a deer and it ran off with approximately half the arrow protruding. At the end of the run seen on tv, it clearly showed the arrow snapping off and dropping as the deer entered some heavy brush.

Later, "the arrow" was shown in the end footing, unbroken and bloody end to end.

Since then I started paying more attention or maybe closer attention. I've seen so much NOT agree that I have a hard time believing that most aren't "edited" for tv to give a better appearance for some reason.

Probably not a BAD idea due to the "anti's" bombarding shows and us but still in all, not something I care for.

That said, you are correct that the show did have some good information on traditonal archery and we have so little aired on such that I probably should have not said anything and just be thankful traditional archery got some air time.

No offense intended to anyone or any particular show, just an observation of what I see so hopefully I worded this so it doesn't appear to be TOTALLY negative.

God Bless.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
SlowBoke,

I don't have cable/dish and don't see many "hunting" shows because the ones I do see occasionally turn my stomach.  

With that said, one thing to consider is the camera angle and the shooter angle can be very different and may make things look better or worse than they really are.  Just a thought.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
I just caught the last 15 minutes of this on rerun tonight. I wish I had seen the whole show, but I just sat down and flipped on the tube. It wasn't camera angle that was the problem. The arrow was buried to the fletching for sure, but not a pass through. When the arrow was recovered, it had been broken, so there is a good chance he hooked it on something and eventually hit something else that snapped the arrow. The fletches had definitely been all the way through. Who knows what was said that got edited out.

The shot was quartering on a bit, which is probably why the arrow didn't go all the way through. I had the same thing happen last year and the arrow looked about the same. It was snapped in half as well. I can't be critical of that aspect of the show because I've been there, done that.

What really did bug me about this show and many of the others on television was the shot Mike Hanback made with his wheelie bow. He obviously spined the buck and it was flopping around trying to get up. Then the camera cuts to him high-fiving his cameraman. Naturally, the buck was stone dead when he walked over to him and Luke Strommen said, "Man, you drilled him." That's when I wanted to puke!

The trad segment (much of which I missed) was diminished by what followed. Along with the part where Luke said, "He's not a great buck, but I'm happy with him." Then Hanback made the usual comment, "Yeah, but killing him with one of those things makes it great." or some such nonsense as he pointed at the longbow. What a bunch of crap! The eight pointer Hanback spined was nothing special at all. What makes those idiots think you can kill bigger bucks with a wheelie bow than with a longbow? My son shot a heck of a lot better buck than Hanback's this fall...with a longbow.    :p
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Great show, I really enjoyed the traditional aspect of it!
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
I think everyone would be less disappointed if you remember that it is "entertainment". Everything else is secondary, including the hunting.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29:00 PM »
It was still good to see a longbow in action instead of something someone was trying to sell. That show has done a couple of shows from the Milk River and both were pretty good compared to most of the crap they put on TV.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
I have had arrows go "all the way in" and then come out as the animal started to run. There is a lot our naked eye sees that is only an image of what really happened. Why do you think they use instant replay for athletic events? A lot of us used to think we were shooting high when we missed. After the popularity of videoing hunts came to the fore we discovered how deer react to our shooting and we found out that the deer duck when they begin their flight. I shot a small buck once and it took off with half the arrow showing. When i found the arrow (and the deer) the next morning it had been pulled thru the deer after the head got hung up on some brush. It looked like a pass thru and it sort of was. However, on some of the hunts I have seen on TV the shooter takes a shot with a full quiver of arrows and when they finally recover the animal half the arrows are not in the quiver.....what's with that?
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Watched tred barta the other day gut shoot an elk with a stone point. He didn't shy away from it and showed it on air then refused to hunt another one after they couldn't find it. Never cared much for him, but he gained my respect for that. The shows seem to be slowly getting to abetter place, hope it continues.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
I caught the End of a "Barta" Show last night. He was Marlin Fishing in Mexico......I am Sorry the Dude got Sick, I wouldnt wish that on Anyone!! His "Shows" pretty much rank High on the "Suckage Meter". Of Course, My Opinion.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
it was a good shot either way . enjoyed the show
The older I get the better I was

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
I went to the Versus channel online and found the highlights from that hunt. If the clip I saw is the same show you're talking about, The guy did 'bury that arrow' so I don't see what all the hoopla is about....Shot him with a longbow and made a beautiful shot on him....Glad to see some Trad archery on TV....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Would love to see it but Versus got pulled from DirecTV.  :banghead:  

Bill

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
The Stoemans property is where Gene and Barry perfected the "nudging". Luke was just a youngun when the started guiding the ranch.
Nothing lasts forever, the ranch was sold but Stroemans retained hunting rights for some time. It's funny that Stroeman tries to take credit for the way they hunt that place when Wensels showed them every pattern they stil use today.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Nobody admires the Wensels more than I, but the nudge or slow push was around long before the boys from Vermont. So credit should be given to someone from over a century ago......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Yeah Ron, I know, but there is more to it on that part of the Milk River than just nudging or pushing. Alot more.
Anyway, didn't mean to change the subject, sorry.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
I hear ya Biggie, but Like I said before compared to some of the stuff they put on and call hunting shows this one wasn't to bad!

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 04:14:00 AM »
Steve, Biggie, others....

I bet that I am worse than you about picking apart a show.  Man, after being involved with so many programs and bs shows, it is easy to see the retakes and stuff.  It is really frustrating, actually.  Of all the brands that I have filmed or hunted for, Primos is hands down the most true-to-life.  You mentioned the bloody arrow thing with my hunt...truth is that footage you saw was the real deal, live footage.  Mike hadn't seen the footage of my shot or anything and we just followed the blood trail in real time....I am guessing an ash tree pulled the arrow through...I have had that happen many a time.  Mike didn't know that I didn't get a clean pass through.  And we hadn't seen the deer yet...although they obviously did some retakes once we found it from the deer's angle.  You should have seen all the dialogue they edited from my hunt...frustrating, but I guess they won't let me piss of thier sponsors.  I didn't come to full draw as I released prematurely (I am famous for that), which is why I probably didn't get a pass through...additionally the STOS head punched through both scapulas, you can actually see it move the arrow in slow motion.  I was told a long time ago by certain big names and big name brands that they wanted to "make me a star" and give me my own show, etc....I am not like that and lack the ego I guess...I just want to promote Traditional Bowhunting and expose mainly our younger generations to it and it's beautiful story and romance as the last few decades have not done well in that respect.  And Biggie, you don'tknow what you are talking about, with all due respect.  I do remember you and of course hunting with the Wensels very well. I still correspond with them through 3rd party mostly and thoroughly enjoyed thier newest film and Gene's most recent book...butI also remember hunting with my uncles and Dad well before any of you new about the Milk.  Everyone here knows the real truths about those days, but I won't get into that as I don't play that game and would rather be a positve point in life rather than making myself feel better trying to discredit others, especially when it isn't warranted.  The real truths find thier way around the circles without my two cents.  And it is STROMMEN.  Thanks.  With all due respect.

Luke Strommen

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
Ah HA.........Thanks, Milk!

I'm glad to see you reply and make sense of it all, and will tip my hat to you for doing it "gently".

Ye old adage of "believing nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see" is something I have to remind myself of most times.

I personally meant no PERSONAL offense. I should have worded my post more to the point of "I just dont understand what happened" rather than "disliking things".

My apologies for sure. Don't listen to me, Heck , Im jealous I wasn't THERE!

God Bless
Slowbowke
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©