3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Versus: The Buck Stops Here/Trad hunt  (Read 988 times)

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Versus: The Buck Stops Here/Trad hunt
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 04:34:00 AM »
30 coupe-

I agree with you 100%...when I approached Mike's buck I didn't know that he had spined him since I hadn't talked to him about that yet and of course hadn't seen the footage.  There was so much blood and the deer didn't go far, so my first reaction was he made a good shot...really, though, I have spined several deer as well, not on purpose, but dang they sure don't get away.  Mike had hit that artery as well.  Done that too, they die quicker than a lung or heart shot.  Mike means well when he says things about killing stuff with my longbow, but I fully understand your point and see your view as I share it as well.  Mike likes to put emphasis so much on how we do it because he thinks it is pretty cool, he just has never been on "our" side of the looking glass.  My hat is truly off to him for getting some trad hunting on t.v., I hope some young guys or gals see it and take it up. We certainly need that.  It has never ceased to amaze me how much footage finds the cutting room floor.  I have to ask...did anyone like the plaids?  I have been into that for quite a while as my uncles started me on it.  It's an addiction.  When I quite working for Mossy Oak I wanted to show another side, the original.  Anyway, sorry for blabbing. I love to read all of your guys' stuff.

Luke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Slowbowke-
No offense made brother!  When I saw the show, I thought the same thing and wondered if people would think it was staged.  These days, I think everyone should look closely at what they watch on tv because, truth is, most of it is crap.  I don't even subscribe to those channels anymore, and I don't get vs anymore due to the dtv thing.  Most of it was putting a bad taste in my mouth about the whole modern hunting scene.  I feel that Mike Hanback at least tries to show the real side of things and a lot of people can relate. I always see a lot of things that I wish I would have done or said differently after watching my hunts. I worry about portraying the right image/views of our passion and not be abrasive.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Luke,

Where are you sourcing the plaids? I like em. Thanks for the burke ranch link via email a while back.

Brad Finegan
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
How many times did someone use the word "awesome" or say "That's what it's all about"!?

I figure a guy could get good & plastered in well under 2 hours if he watched hunting shows
he took a shot every time someone said "awesome"!...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline rabbit_buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Luke,

I too think Mike is one of the best out there no matter his weopon choice, and i see no need for you to defend yourself in any way, it was great footage and it is great to show the traditional side of hunting... two thumbs up.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
Luke,

Thanks for the response. I like most of what Mike does as well. I just get annoyed when most of the TV types act as though it is so unusual to kill something with a trad bow. I understand they are pushing product, but "that's a great buck...for a long bow..." just ticks me off!

I love the plaids. I bet that did piss off some of the sponsors though    :thumbsup:   And letting the wind be your scent control--egads, man we can't sell that!

As to the directors cut, I can't understand why they cut so much out, yet play the same sequence over and over in the final cut. That seems to be the standard formula these days and it sucks. I haven't decided if they are stupid or just lazy, but I am about ready to do what you did and drop the channels altogether. If it weren't for the rare occasion when they show segments like yours, most of the "hunting" shows wouldn't amount to a hill of beans.

Sorry for the rant. Keep us posted if you are going to be on again!

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Man, stupid vs and dtv, why cant they get along, Luke you sound like a good guy!  To bad I couldnt watch it!  I am a aspiring tv host myself, lol.  If you are bored and you want something interesting to watch check out my youtube channel!(www.youtube.com/user/Guitararcher)  I do everything myself- by choice, adds to the challenge.  Although I love the over the shoulder angle!  Hard to get when you film yourself!!!

As far as Barta, I think you guys will be seeing a totally different Best and Worst of Barta, his whole philosiphy has changed, you might even see him with a rifle.  For those that dont know, he is paralized from the chest down, something called a spinal infraction, and he is in a wheel chair!  I feel terrible for him.  Being the healthy man he was!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 12:17:00 PM »
That was a good show.  Great shot Luke.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Luke, I made the switch to plaids and wool myself for this past deer season(except for very early archery when it was 92degrees here in southern Fl.)To me they are much more comfortable and blend in very well where I hunt.

The true test for the plaids will be hunting turkeys this spring!
Great show, I would love to see the full version unedited. I felt it represented the traditional side of bowhunting very well.I hope you do another one.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
you have guts, going turkey hunting with plaids!  Well I suppose it depends, do they supposeatly see just shades of gray like deer are suppose to?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2010, 02:09:00 PM »
Bfinegan-
I have gotten most of my plaids via fleabay in the past...pedletons, woolrich's...I had to look for over 7 years to find that jacket I wore on the show....good news is that my friend Rob Tiberio out of NJ is making plaid wools now as "Classic Bowman Sporting Woolens", I actually just sent him that jacket to try and duplicate it's vintage color.  Good guy,trad all the way.  The wools on the last TBM was his work.

ND Terminator--you forgot "That's what I am talking about" and "freak nasty, baby!".  I agree with you.  But don't try the drinking thing, makes for a rough day the next day!  love the license plate....

rabbit-buster-- Thanks, friend.  

30 Coupe-  I hear you.  I have been dealing with that "with or for a longbow, recurve..." crap for a long time.  Funny, really.  Funny too, what you said about the wind thing...truth. I have tried to address that during some hunts and wow does it get lost.  Look who the biggest advertisers are and who they have buffaloed. heh, heh.

Chris S.- I'll check out the link, thanks.  And the Barta thing....love him or hate him, that sucks.  He makes no excuses, I like that.

Thanks RaiderRanch.

Tarponnut-  I use plaids in the spring and summer too...just cotton...cabela's makes some nice cotton plaids in great summer/spring colors....so does Powder River, Van Heusen (yes...i know), and columbia.  I like the Carharrt pants, what do you wear?  and thanks for the compliments.  I'll let you know.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
Hey guys, if your looking for some great wool jackets and hats from a trad guy...Rob is the man.  e him at [email protected] and later he is working on a website  www.calssicbowman.com  .  I am excited that he is bring back this stuff.  I know  lot of guys will like what he has to offer.  I will try to get him to post some more info for those interested.

Offline ablebonus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Luke, great show, that was one of my favorites all year.  Great job in front of the camera and behind the bow!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Turkeys see color, I will definitely pick my plaid carefully.

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
I love that episode!  "long live the longbow"
I think I've seen the same episode three times.  It's nice to see someone hunting with a longbow and not spouting off about all their great sponsors.  Kudos to a great shot and a good show!

Online CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I enjoyed it as well. We need to see more traditional hunting on the outdoor shows. I'm tired of seeing 50 yard shots.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Luke, that was a dang good show and I'm glad you found this thread.  I was really impressed with the footage.  Hope to see you in more shows!

Oh yea, I liked the plaid too.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
Luke,
We've probably been bidding against each other on those Pendelton shirts. I love 'em. I recently bought a Woolrich vest for my annual NY bowhunt and those cooler days in northern Fl.
I generally wear Redhead cargo pants in olive or gray.
What brand hat is that? I've been wearing a wool Stormy Kromer the last couple of years.
I'll check out Rob's site. Thanks.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 05:06:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  It is nice to know you guys think that hunt was ok.  Tarponnut, I'll have to try some Redhead cargos.  My hat is a....well I bought it out of 3R a few years back...think they still have it....I like the stormy kromers for warmth for sure.  Rob has some nice hats like that, he could prob send you brochure. I have a cool green colors plaid and a awesome pendleton that is my favorite for spring turkeys..the pendletion is more earth tones for next to trees and stuff...those darn turkeys are tough.

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 06:15:00 AM »
Luke, I know you can take the 'good with the bad';  I believe you handled and expressed yourself far better that most of us could have. The episode was more acceptable that what we have come accustomed to on TV. We don't need to pick it apart.  "Ya dun good, Pilgirm".  Did you pack up "Shick's Styk" yet? Ha, ha.

Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©