3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shafting grizzly sticks  (Read 179 times)

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shafting grizzly sticks
« on: October 10, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I am trying out some grizzly sticks and they are driving me nuts, as I try to bare shaft test them they seem to be constanly shooting nock high. I have been taking off a quarter of an inch at a time. Then if the knock high was not bad enough after a few cuts they also started shooting Knock high and to the right. Any sucjestions would be appriciated.  :knothead:

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shafting grizzly sticks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
raise your nocking point, sounds like the tail of the shaft is too low and deflecitng of the shelf
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
If it was ONLY shooting nock high, that would mean that the arrow spine was just right but the nock on your string needed to be moved a little up or down.  
It sounds like that was the case until you cut the arrow. Now the arrow is stiff causing it to be nock right (right handed shooter).  If the arrow isn't too short for you now then just add point weight. That will weaken the arrow back to shooting straight.  The heavy head is better anyway.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
leave them full length and fletch them up and see how they fly.  Find the "Bump" on the shaft by rolling it on a flat surface.  Choose to use the Bump as bump out, for stiffer or bump in for weaker.

never could make them Sitkas bareshaft but they are like the love child between a Dart and a Baseball bat.  fly straight and hit HARD
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Mount Sweetness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I left mine a little knock high and left, once the feathers go on it should be perfect.

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys for your help everyone on this sight is great and a real asset to those of us that have questions. Added fletching to this shafts and they are shooting great, and they look great to would add pictures but not that computer saffy yet,  ;)

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I have one of my bows set up for the Grizzly stick and for cedars.  I nock above the bottom nocking point for cedars and below the top nocking point for the Grizzly shaft.  I think because of the tip to tip taper they need to be nocked a little higher than a parallel shaft.  I have mine bump out and they are cut to 27" bop with 160 heads. I shoot them out of a 64# at 26" Schulz Legend and my bow with the double set up is a low fifties Robertson Purist Pierce Point.  I pretty much just see feathers rotating around the nock with mine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©