3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Making bowstrings-loop question  (Read 281 times)

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Making bowstrings-loop question
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »
Found a pretty good set of instructions on how to make a bowstring. Looked simple enough that I think I can swing it. However it showed how to make the loop on the starting end of the string, and how to lay it into the bowstring itself, but didn't cover how you do the other end.

Now that the bowstring is twisted and braided the full length how do you go about putting the second loop in?     :confused:
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Making bowstrings-loop question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:18:00 AM »
You don't twist the full length of the whole string.

Twist in your top loop and then continue twisting until it's about 8 inches down the string, then stop twisting.  At this point i put a clothes peg on the end of the twist.  Then straighten out the two strands that are left that will be the rest of your string.

If you twisted the top loop evenly you'll find that the two strands that are left are of equal length - this is important!

Once you've got that, then turn the whole thing upside down and twist in the bottom loop exactly the same as you did the top loop - though making the loop a little smaller as it doesn't need to slide down the bow limb.  Twist that to about 8 inches down the string like you did the top loop.

So then you have two loops at each end that are twisted to about 8 inches long, the rest of the string isn't twisted at this point.

Look at the direction of the twists in the ends and then twist up the whole string in that direction to hold the ends as they sit.

Hope that makes sense.

:-D
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline virgil.v

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:17:00 AM »

Hope it will helps.

Have fun.
Don't tell me how far you shot ... tell me how close you got.
Misanthropic in therapy.

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
What freefeet said is right.  The BEST DVD for string making that I've seen is "Doin' the Twist"!  I have another that only does one end and leaves you hanging about the second end.  Doin the Twist is comprehensive and covers the whole job.  I recommend it highly!!!!
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
get chad's 'doin the twist' video.  this is how a professional string maker does it, and chad's amongst the best of the best.  

the best $25 a budding (or even seasoned) string twister or spinner will spend.  WELL worth it.

http://www.recurves.com/dvds.html
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
OK...I think I got it now. I was thinking that the whole string was twisted/braided before you put the second loop on.
Thanks for the info, and I'll pick up the video yer talkin' 'bout.
If something seems too good to be true it’s best to shoot it, just in case. … Fiona on “Burn Notice”

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Tie a bowyers knot(timber hitch) in the other end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
We appreciate the good word on our DVD.  There's a bit more to it that just doing the same thing on the other end, if you want a nice round string.  We go into detail about 2 bundle and 3 bundle strings, back twist, serving....we even show how to tie a bowyer's knot.

Been giving some thought to a Volume II, but no decisions yet.

Chad

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Chad....just waitin' fer the eagle to scream.

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
And thanks freefeet, your explanation was very clear, I totally understand what you told me. Think I could do a fair first try just from that.

Also thanks Virgil for the pic and links. Helped too.

Thanks again.

Dan

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Eagle screamed, sent for DVD, hounding the postman.   :D

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Dan, you should have it this week easy--it went out a day or three ago via Priority Mail.  If you have any questions or need any help, just holler.

Chad

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Or you could order one from Chad, got mine this week, very nice work...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
Thanks Chad. Yep....got it Thursday and spent the night watching it. Very good job guys! I feel I could twist one up fairly easy after watching the DVD. A lot of my questions were answered and the ones I still had after watching were answered by going back and reviewing a few spots in the program. Just hafta get the gear together now to do it.

Very well done. And I loved hearing the cicadas in the background.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 12:57:00 AM »
The thing about the backtwist that I learned from Chad's video was worth the price of admission!  My strings went from 2 ropes twisted together to really nice.

RonP

Offline DngrsDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Chad....
could I pick yer brain fer sum info?

I will be making a FF string for my Great plains Rio Bravo 66" TD LB. Measuring the string as it is strung on my bow I get a measurement of 64", as I also get from another string I received with the bow - measured unstrung.
My brace height is 6 1/2", which is on the low end of the 6 1/2 to 7 1/4" range it specifies. My bowstring right now is twisted, in my opinion, too much. Measuring the contrasting cord it is averaging 4 - 6 twist/inch. Seeing as I want to raise the brace height another 1/4", or possibly more, I would be putting in a whole lot more turns. While having never before made a string I would say from judgment that while some twist in the strings would make it stronger, too much twist would place more strain and abrasion on the fibers. Making the string weaker and more prone to break.

So I'm going to aim for a 63" string, which is what I thought it should have been anyway-right? (AMO -3") with the thought that, once finished and stretched some, it will end up 63 1/4 - 63 1/2. Which would raise my brace height close to 6 3/4 BEFORE putting in any additional twisting.

Guess I'm asking if my reasoning and calculations are correct.

Now I'm trying to figure out what string I should buy.

Do I want the 100% Dyneema (I don't want any stretch or creep in my string), which, I am guessing here-remember me? the guy who ain't never did this before?, may have more propensity for vibration, or do I want a blend for a quieter vibration absorbing string? Again guessing that that is the purpose of the blend, stretch resistance and vibration dampening.

Sorry for the long post and pestering ya for help.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
I'll be glad to help if I can Dan--and thanks for the good word!

I think you are correct with your reasoning and calculations.  One thing I will add is the amount of stretch/creep you get will depend on a few things:  the material you use, strand count, and the way you personally make your string.  It might take a few tries to get it just right, but practice won't hurt.

I use Dynaflight '97 on my personal bows, BUT for skinny strings 8125 seems to work best (less stretch/creep).  Depending on your draw weight, I figure 10-12 strands of 8125 (16-18 in the loops) should work out just fine.

Hope this helps--feel free to call, pm, or e-mail any time.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©