3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 0 for 2 Target Panic?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
0 for 2 Target Panic?
« on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Well so far this season I have managed to miss 2 deer at very close ranges. The first was a Doe @ 10 to 12 yards. The other was a Buck at 5 yards. Both shots passed harmlessly over their backs. Now since I am hunting on the ground I know that it's not a tree stand thing by not bending at the waist while shooting down at the deer. I am not having a problem staying calm when the animal comes in. I know I come to full anchor and pick a spot but I'm still missing.

Although I feel fortunate for getting these 2 shots this year,(I didn't get any shots last year) I know that I should have meat in my freezer. I almost want to hang up my longbows and get my compound back out.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 0 for 2 Target Panic?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Welcome to the club of misses. PICK A SOPT

doug77

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
At those distances from experience aim at a spot bottom third of the deer and look at nothing else.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
yer not picking a spot, a really really really tiny spot.  then the rest is up to you in performing a good release.

don't feel bad, most of us have gone through the 'miss at 5 yards' thing sooner or later.  

keep on keepin' on .......
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline David Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Every one misses I know I have had my share.
If the shots are that close and your hunting from the ground, pick your spot and concentrate on the lower third of the deer.

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Once your commited to harvesting an animal you need to start focusing on the exact spot your going to hit. It seems that your a gap shooter like me and the reason you may be shooting high is your not wanting to shoot left or right and not focusing on your elevation. Before it gets you down to getting the compound back out try a Crickit or some type of clicker. Your letting your target control your shot.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
I have to agree that you're not picking a spot. This due to the fact that both of your arrows went over thier backs. Your eye is just naturaly drawn to the horizontal line formed by thier back and yup,that's EXACTLY where your arrow goes!!!!!  :thumbsup:  

To try and help solve the problem..... Try picking a "low" spot. I try to focus on the spot behind the "crease" of the front leg right behind the "elbow" of the front leg. If you look at pictures of deer you will see that the point of the "elbow" is very easy to see and easy to focus on. Just imagine a spot about an inch behind that point.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Go Git'em!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
happenned to me with a bear. Pick a small. forget the deer and just focus on a hair , a crease, etc and you will hit where you want.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Missed a goat yesterday because, guess what, I didn't pick a spot.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Speaking from experience (the only experience I seem to have lately), like they all said 'pick a spot'.  I aimed at the whole turkey this week and missed--3 times!

There, I said it on an open forum, I hope that makes you feel better about your experience.   :banghead:  

Bernie

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Not to disagree, exactly, I have missed at about 7 yards by coming to anchor, picking a spot, and then snatching instead of releasing the string.  I think the snatch caused my bow arm to bob up.  Don't worry, everybody misses.  What you can't do is worry and second guess your self.  Practice, concentrate on form and the hits will come.  Bill

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Just picking a spot is not the complete answer, following through on the shot is as important.  Adrenaline can make you pull farther, or give that little extra push with the bow hand.  Strange things happen to the mind in the presense of game when you want to shoot.  

Pick the spot...and keep the spot while effecting a controlled shot.  It will come but you have to stay through the complete shot.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
What your doing is what everyone dose at one point in time.Some never truely get over it.And it comes from try to watch your arrow fly.At the last second in the excitment your eye is drawen to to the line of the animals back.Some people just love to see that arrow fly.Which is fine just wait and follow through first.And I know your tirer of hearing it but you must pick your spot first.
  Or maybe your problems what Bill Skinner said.Check them both out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I totally agree with George.  It is very easy to worry about where the arrow goes before you finish the shot.  Kind of like wanting to see how far the baseball goes before ever making contact.

Also did you see if the deer reacted to the bow release?  I would say that is likely the reason the arrow seemed to have gone high.  The short yardage shots (bow noise) seem to be the most alarming and therefore easiest for deer to duck the arrow.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
It happens.  I shot over a P&Y 8 pt last year that went about 140 at about 10 yds.  I knew when I done it that it was because at the last second I looked at the antlers that I thought where gonna be hangin on my wall.  Shoulda just concentrated on my spot til the deer was down, then I woulda had the rest of my life to look at the rack and the pictures.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Strange things happen to the mind in the presense of game when you want to shoot.  

thats so true!

Keep at it mate, it will come together
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I have heard this more often from the compound shooters, when everything just falls apart and their shooting ritual breaks down, perhaps because there are more of them.  This killing animals thing is a very personal experience.  Perhaps that is why with sights and mechanical releases modern shooters can at time separate themselves from the act, at least until the shooting ritual becomes automatic and then when some nerves are thrown in all of sudden nothing works. However, with trad gear it is all you, by not picking the spot,your eyes and mind wander and ponder the entirety of the event of killing an animal.   Often times we can be trapped by all "the what not to do-s". Make the process more simple.  Bore a hole through it with your eyes and then smoothly execute the shot that you have practiced.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
For me it comes down to how much are you in control of your shot sequence. A good test is a Kidwell drill I do as a warmup. Draw solidly into your anchor and see if you can do a figure 8 or a cross pattern over your bullseye. If you can maintain control and not release, your doing good, if you give in and release, time to work hard on that form. You need to be calm, positive and completely in control. Of course your going to hit the bullseye, it's what your aiming at right.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Check out Jay Kidwell's book "Instinctive Archery Insights."  I finish in the top few of most local 3-Ds and even amaze people in backyards. . . YET, I have been shooting trad for 25 years and have NEVER been able to pick a spot on live game. Kidwell's training using the "button" technique has helped me tremendously.

Good hunting

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Larry,

Hang in there,it will come around.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©