3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple questions about bow testing and performance  (Read 358 times)

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple questions about bow testing and performance
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
I probably posted this in the wrong forum, (apologies to all if so).

Can you test a bow using a stringer? I don't mean shooting it, just test drawing bows that may need new strings or just do not have them.

I also would like to know how drilling accessory holes on older bows (sight bar for example) effects their performance AND value.

The reason I ask is that I came across a 41# Super Kodiak in great shape with holes drilled for a sight bar and no string. We are in negotiations now and cannot agree on a price.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple questions about bow testing and performance
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Knowing more about the Bear will help determine it's value, but in hte end it is what you are willing to pay and what the seller is will to accept.  You can always check eb$y and get an idea of what similar bears sold for recently.

If you mean slowly flexing a bow with a stringer to check for cracks, stress, etc... I'd say it would be a good way to go...go slow and make sure the tips are seated properly...alot easier to look a bow over using a stringer than in your hand at half, then full tension.

Obviously, before stringing look the bow over carefully for cracks, stress, lifts, twists....check the tips...

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Thanks bjk. The bow is in really good shape with an excellent finish (its a "Fascor" one if that helps). I wanted to know if using a stringer was a good way to "test" its useability. Sounds like I can, and I was kinda sure I could...I just wanted to check with the folks here to see if I was on track. The other things you mentioned (laminations/tips/etc.) check out okay.

Where we differ is with the accessory holes. There are two small holes drilled in the vertical part of the belly of the sight window. He wants "mint" price, I want to pay "tampered with" price. I want something to shoot (not to profit off of) and am very concerned with the effects of an altercation of this kind.

Perhaps with the poundage I should not be concerned? I have pretty much convinced myself to pay his price and bring it to Denton Hill to play with.....I just gotta save those pennies in my mind.

Offline 3wolvesrunning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:52:00 PM »
The holes would definitely detract from the price for a collector.  They should not affect the safety or performance of the bow.  The holes should be plugged and sealed, if  you are going to use it.  The seller should be willing to take a little off the "mint" price, as a drilled bow is not mint.  On the other hand, if it is "the" bow you want, you could be 'pennywise and pound foolish' to quibble over a few dollars.
Best of luck.
"You are what you think about...think success and you cannot fail."   Earl Nightingale

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©