3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Take time for your parents.....  (Read 376 times)

Offline blind one

• Trad Bowhunter
Take time for your parents.....
« on: October 11, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I did something today that I havent done in 25 years. I went to church with my mother. I was on my way home from hunting and thought it would be nice to suprize her. I still had my camo on and thats how I showed up. She has been going to church every sunday for 55 years. The service had already started when I got there so I went to where she was sitting and said" May I sit here with you." She was so happy that she started to cry. It made me realize how parents dont ask for anything more than a little love in return for all they do for their children. The pastor said one thing that really stuck with me today. He said " tommorrow is NOT guaranteed". So I guess what I'm saying is to take some time out of your busy schedule to let your parents know that they are still special. It made my mother feel better than she has in a long time.....Roy
"To die is nothing. One is here, One is no longer here. It is only at the end one must be able to say 'I was a man'"...

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Take time for your parents.....
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
:clapper:
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Good for you Roy! You made a great decision.

chris <><

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Your right Roy, I found out last week that the kemo and radiation that my mother has been doing has not done any good. Her liver looks worse and she already has fluid on her lungs. She ask the doctor if they thought she could make it to christmas, they told her she could have christmas early. She will be 60 years old on the 19th of Dec. I lost my Dad at 56 so you never know.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline canoeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Good for you.  "Tomorrow is not guaranteed", and it's good to remember and give thanks.  I've had to realize this as I've spent the whole month of October(so far) with my wife in the hospital.  It's always good to have another day.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Heed Roy's word's.

My mother passed away recently, (Sept 14.)

I never missed a chance to tell her how much I loved her, and it still hurts that I couldn't be there with her when she passed.

R.W.

Offline bigbuckmalik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
My mother passed away 9 years ago today.  I was only 25 at the time.  Trust me when i say do or say all the things that you should now. It can all change with one phone call.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Good for you!  Not only is your mother happy to see you go to church with her, but for you.  She is probably concerned more about your sole than just seeing you.  We parents are more concerned about our children’s long term wellbeing than anything else.  

Cherish the time you have with her.  I still remember taking a couple days to do some extra stuff with my mother and my last hug two days before I got the phone call that she had been killed in a car accident.  Back then I went to church with her to make her happy.  Funny thing is after she was gone I started going for me.   Now I have a family and take them every week.  I have no greater joy than to serve the Lord and see my children growing in faith.  Mom is up above grinning ear to ear.  I have no doubt about that.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
I preach all the time to my students in school about valuing and staying in contact and visiting with their grandparents and asking them how they met each other, etc. while they still can.

For folks of my generation, it's the same with our parents.  Good reminder.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline hit or miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
Great reminder, sometimes we think we're "too busy" to just take a minute to catch up.

Offline Scrub_buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
What an inspiring story!  I applaude the effort and pray that you find yourself there more and more!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Amen brother!!!

My Dad is gone too and my 10 year old son and I were discussing something today and it came home for the 1st time in a while.....I don't have a Dad to take anywhere or do anything with anymore now that he is gone. He is with me in spirit though.

None of us are promised tomorrow.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Way to go.  My dad passed last week.  Take nothing for granted.  You won't have to say "I wish I had ----".
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
My old man and I are going to Alaska next year to chase deer.  He had me at 25, 31 years ago so he isn't a relic yet but I know that we won't be able to do hunts like that forever.

He comes out here to chase pigs in CA at least one a year.  My best friend and someone that can be thanked, or blamed for shaping who I am more than anyone except for his father.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Boy sure wish I woulda passed a few days of hunting to sit with my Mom and talk a little more often before she died. Of course mom woulda asked why aren't you hunting.. is there something wrong? Then knowing how much I love my hunts chased me out the door.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Sounds like you got your priorities straight Roy! The joy of loving each other and spending time together out weighs anything else in this life. Thanks for sharing this..you made my morning!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Very true words. Both my parents are gone (Mom in 1988, Dad in 2002) and I will never get the chance to spend more time with them. I keep trying to teach my nephews and nieces they should be nicer to their parents and enjoy time with them, but kids are stubborn.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Roy you are right on.Luckly my parents and I have always had great relationships.My mother is the sweetist lady around and will always charish her.This next week end I will take my dad rifle deer hunting.Its the only rifle hunt that I get real pump up about and I will not have a weapon in my hands.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
I was lucky and never knew how much till now. I spent lots of time with my Dad over the last few years. He was ever-present in my bowhunts, video camera always in hand. Now he's gone. This is my first season without him. It's not been the same but I did hunt opening day and shot a fat doe with Dad's bow just cause I wanted him close. I certainly find myself lucky that I did spend lots of time with him while he was here. I think a few more of us should find some spare time for those close to us. The rewards will only be measurable in death but there will be no regrets.  :thumbsup:

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
I love hunting with my dad-wish he would come out more with me.  But he's not into the cold weather and its been in the 30's here already.  He was the one who got me into bow hunting.    

Was hoping to hunt Early Muzzleloader with my grandpa, but he just underwent a quadruple bipass surgery, so that hunt will wait until next year.  He is always asking me about my hunts though.
>>>--------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©