3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Attire advice for a northern shooter  (Read 756 times)

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
Attire advice for a northern shooter
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I'm in MN and it is just beginning to get cold (30's).  I am a very active, lean guy (6ft, 155) and am freezing out there.  I wore : 2 layers of thermal bottoms, corduroy pants and Carhart insulated overalls.  5 top layers, neck warmer, knit hat, wool socks, big ole' insulated boots and gloves of course.
I'm getting cold and this is just the tip of the iceberg for us.  Any advice, guys?  This is my first season sitting in a stand.

Also, I'm hoping to avoid buying new stuff, so any cheap advice is especially welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Attire advice for a northern shooter
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Wow, How were you able to move?  There is such a thing as over dressing.

Avoid cotton, keep the wool.  Have a base layer that will wick away moisture.  Poly pro is great for this.  Then a somewhat heavier layer after that your carharts.

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I second the poly Pro. Good stuff!
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Sometimes the expensive stuff is worth the price. I really like the underarmor brand as my base and other poly, with wool. I bought a new pair of bibs, this year, but I have not tried them yet. I also use a face cover.

But even then after awhile on stand I am forced to move to get warmed up, no matter how warm I am dressed.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
It's already pretty nippy in ND and I've broken out the "heavy artillary" for hunting.  What I wore Saturday morning (10 degrees plus wind)was the following:

Next to Skin:  Under Armor Cold Gear
Next Layer: Mid weight silk long underwear.
Next:  KOM Bunwarmer Pants, KOM Trapper.
Next:  Filson Mackinaw Vest
Next:  Filson Double Macinaw Cruiser with Bomber Hat.
Feet:  Light wool socks under heavy Thorlo Socks and 1000 gram insulated boots.

Another thing that you might consider is hunting from a ground blind.  It really helps to break the wind and allows you to periodically munch on nuts or other high-energy food.  Remember that to stay warm you need to occasionally eat something.  That elevates your metabolism and helps "stoke the furnace".

Hope this helps!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Loose layers are the key.....with the emphesis on LOOSE!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Many times I have seen people buy everything in a "large" size that fits them.(afterall they are a size "large",and that's the size that fits them best) However,when it gets cold and they start adding more layers,they are actualy just jamming more layers undernieth a "large" top layer and eliminating air space which is critical to staying warm.

I buy wool sweaters from the GoodWill store. I have some in XL,XXL,and even a couple in XXXL. I layer them from smallest to largest as the weather gets colder. BTW,most of my outer layer jackets are XXXL just to make sure I have plenty of room undernieth for extra layers if needed.

Hope this helps some..... Just curious,where did you live before moving to Minnesota,and how long ago did you move there??? (your first winter after moving from say Florida just might be a tough one no matter what)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Are you wearing all of that to the stand? Overheat, sweat, then sit will make you freeze no matter how well you dress.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
I too am from MN and am snug as a bug in the stand. I'm 6'4" and 235 so I have a little more flesh on my bones. I wear a base layer of mid weight Capilene from Patagonia. Next I wear another layer of the same in heavyweight. Then a Woolrich wool ****-jac in plaid. KOM wool pants, KOM wool vest with windstopper. Wool stocking cap. Couple handwarmer packs in my vest pockets, insulated rubber boots. I'm good for long sits in cold weather.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
I have one word, WOOL!!! it's worth its weight in gold! Jason

Offline FOXXNTROUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
sierra trading post. com  has some deals on smartwool socks...good socks for the money. Also do a search for wool and see what comes up. Go to Goodwill and search for heavy wool pants.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
The first days of the cold are always the worst, you will acclimate quickly.  

Vests are great for keeping the core warm without restricting mobility.  Keep your head and neck warm as well.  

Also, it is important to stay hydrated, eat frequent snacks, and get plenty of sleep the night before.      

You can always cheat a little and put handwarmers on your kidneys.

Offline tcw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
I think that I am sweating a little on the way in (wearing too much), and I need to find a way to dress quietly once I get in there.  Good call.

I do have Polypro, wool, and capilene and smartwool.  No cotton except the Carharts.  Thanks for the good feedback.  I'll try some of these tips tomorrow - hopefully I'll not have to shiver.

Also, I'm from N.C., but been here long enough to not use that for an excuse.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I have a Webfoots body sock.
Carol Davis Sportswear is a small company and she puts a really good product out.
Watch cap,'union suit', and socks.
The "sock" and a medium weight layer of wool will get you to your stand...seems that's where I make the most noise!!
I wear a thin wool sweater,wind stop layer, and saddle cloth pants in...then add a jacket and bibs. Sometimes, I change footwear at the stand before I go up.
Good Warm Luck to you.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Try to open as much of your clothing before you head in to your stand to help you ventilate,and carry the Carharts. Then button up,and pull on the Carharts when you get there. You should eliminate much of the sweating,and see a drastic inprovement.

BTW, are you using a climbing treestand??? I once had a friend who was always cold on stand. One day I walked in with him to help him get set up on a new(to him)piece of property that I had gotten us permission to hunt.He got buttoned up and dressed,then proceeded to attach his climber and head up the tree. By the time he was up there and settled,he was sweating like a pig!!!!!  :rolleyes:  

Just a thought  ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Wool....and it doesn't have to be five hundred dollar jackets and hundred dollar underwear.  Ditch any cotton or heavy bulk....like Carhart coveralls.  You can keep plenty warm without much bulk at all, but layering is a must and wool is the best for staying cozy.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
I have one other suggestion and that is get a good large backpack. I dress light walking in and have several items in the back pack that I add as I cool down and sit awhile. I find that when it really gets cold that I got from camo coveralls to wool pants and oversize shirts and a vest...wool will keep you warm in wet or snow and of course just that under 20"s dry cold. Now when it gets down to the zero or wind chill level I sure do not last at all, at 68 it then walk from one stand to another and then sit for about a 1/2 to hour and then move again. got to get that blood moving....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
I just picked up thru **** one woolrich plaid shirt extra hvy duty shirt  and one lighter wool shirt from the Gap in green wool for a total price of $49 dollars and that was with shipping.

I do not have any goodwill store in the area, but I have seen several discussion and a lot of folk seem to find very good quality wool items in there stores for next to nothing in price...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
I started using the back pack to carry additional layers out to the stand and they are usually wool and some form of wind breaker.
However when it's really cold the back of my arms still seem to get cold, anyone have suggestions to remedy this without a whole lot of bulk?
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »
Ditto the posts about poly pro.  Make sure you also have poly pro sock liners as well.  Try some fleece pants in place of the cordura.  The other thing I carry- handwarmer packs.  Place one on each kidney- can be taped in place (outside your polys) and one placed on the back of your neck.  They really make the difference for me on the sub freezing sits.
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I carry all my cold weather gear in my back pack for the walk in. When its really cold i break out the Under Armor which i buy 2 sizes bigger so it want be so tight. I put a wind stopper fleece jacket on over the Under Armor then i have a Drury expedition weight outfit i put on. Most all the base layers on the market will work as long as you dress in layers and make sure all the items are loose fitting. Let me say that again make sure your clothes are LOOSE FITTING. If your clothes are to tight the warm air your body produces will not be able to circulate.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©