3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Minimum Draw Weight  (Read 673 times)

Offline Ambushrgv

• Trad Bowhunter
Minimum Draw Weight
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
I am shooting a little 45# recurve that measures 38# with my short draw length. Is that enough for a pass thru on a whitetailed deer?

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Minimum Draw Weight
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
there are alot of post on this topic with some great advice if you use the "search" function that is near the "new topic" button.

Type in "minimum draw weight" and search in the pow wow section. You will get alot of good post on the subject.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
the bow is just the delivery system,the "arrow" is the main ingredient in the hunting scenario,if the arrow is tuned to the bow,and you make good shot placement,even 30# is sufficient to kill deer,and even get a pass thru.jyho.robert  :thumbsup:    :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
Most DNR put a minimum poundage on bow hunting.  Check your local laws.  And good luck!!
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Check your local laws.That will answer your questons.If you hunt legal and use common sense you should never have problems with any setup.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ambushrgv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Thanks everybody. Texas has a new law that has no minumum draw weight required. It used to be 50# then 40# and now no requirement. I will keep checking back if anybody else has any other advice or comments. God Bless to all.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
Yes, would be my answer.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
...and the DNR minimum draw weight is not just what is written on the bow but at your draw length.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
I'am thinking a 350-400 grain arrow with a cut on contact broadhead from 38# bow at a short distance 10-15 yards will pass through most deer pending no bones are struck.However it only takes 4 inches of penatration to penatrate a deer chest and be into his or her heart.Shot placment is the key to a short blood trail.bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
please check out the thread my wife's first deer.35# er and that deer looks pretty dead to me.bd

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Tracy killed 2 deer a few weeks ago with a 56"37#@26" Zipper recurve.The bow had carbon and foam limbs shooting a 450 grain arrow at 155fps with her shooting it.She was shooting an Abowyer brown bear broadhead.We bear shafted her set up for perfect arrow flight.I dont know how this compares to your set up,but she shot clear through one and the shaft was stuck in the ground.The other doe was alert and quartering away.The arrow penetrated 8" before hitting heavy bone.THe doe went strait down.IF you would like to read her hunting story the thread title is "A good week in Minnesota.

Offline wharvey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Pat B. -"...and the DNR minimum draw weight is not just what is written on the bow but at your draw length. "

That varies with the state. Some specify a draw of 28 inches and make no mention of draw at your draw length.
Bill

Martin Howatt Hunter 35#@28"
Martin Hatfield 55#@28"
Grey Ghost 40#@28"

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by wharvey:
Pat B. -"...and the DNR minimum draw weight is not just what is written on the bow but at your draw length. "

That varies with the state. Some specify a draw of 28 inches and make no mention of draw at your draw length.
Illinois is that way, which never made much sense to me. Our legal minimum draw weight for hunting whitetail deer is 40# @ 28". A guy shooting 50# @ 32" would likely be illegal, but someone shooting 35# @ 26" would be good to go.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
I've shot quite a few critters with trad bows, including a few with bows in the 40#-42# range and never had any problems with the lethality of the set-up.  As others have said, a perfectly tuned arrow, sharp BH, and limiting the distance of the shot are key components of success.

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
Jason....I'm not getting the "50# @ 32" would likely be illegal"???  I've only had coffee this morning, but that seems very odd to my old mind.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I think that what he is saying is that since it is 50# @ 32" it is possibly going to be under 40# at 28" making it illegal. Had to reread it a few times and think about it too.
Ask me about CTO.

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
yeah what he said got me too i thought he meant that he was drawing to 32" with a bow for a 28" draw.
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Well, where the rubber meets the road, I don't think there will be any weighing/measuring going on.  Whatever it says on the bow is what most game wardens would look at, if they look at all.

In five decades I've never been questioned by one about my bow weight.  I probably had a better chance being struck by lightning.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
IL says 40 lbs. within 28" of draw.  32" at  50lbs & assuming 3 lbs lost per inch would be 38 lbs draw at 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©