3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doe with fawn .... just couldn't do it.  (Read 1301 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doe with fawn .... just couldn't do it.
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
Im with you George but we never did shoot any spotted fawns and it was real hard to shoot those little guys. But we were told if we wanted to have a healthy herd with a good quality gene pool with the biggest bucks that was the best way to go. Befor we started that program a 5 year old buck would average 180lbs live weight with a decent rack. The weights jumped up to 220lbs and better with huge racks and 90 percent of the does were being bred by the end of december. Before some of the deer were being bred all the way into the end of febuary.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Rufus 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Does with spotted fawns get a pass from me.  But if the fawns have already lost their spots and are fairly large then I have no problem taking the doe.  Two years ago, the first day of archery (mid Oct), I had a doe with two spotted fawns 15 yards from my stand... she got a pass.  Later, the last week of the season (late Feb) the doe and fawns came by again.  This time the fawns where 3/4 the size of the doe, so I took the doe.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Sometimes yes sometimes no. It depends on the situation. It would a lot easier if they didn't taste so good.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline fantastixvoyage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
Newbie here looking for my first traditional kill and would still pass on fawns or even a doe with fawns.  Now come late season like Rufus mentioned that would likely all change and I would be hardpressed not to drop the doe.  Especially if they give me the slip all fall!  LOL
Black Widow MAII 60" 60lb@28

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I'm one of those guys that can't shoot anything that trusts me, such as a fawn or young deer that will stand and look at me curiously. But I have no problem with people that do, its just not my thing.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Yeah...when I take a doe I prefer she be alone.  Had 2 families walk past me last weekend.  Couldn't bring myself to loose the string.
Otto

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I have passed on many does with fawns and cow elk with a calf. Just can't seem to do it.

Offline Forrest Creature 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Dont feel bad my work partner and I had a bet that who ever shot the first doe on opening day the loser would have to buy the other a case of beer of their choice, well opening day here see comes i get my feet in position here she comes into my shooting lane start to draw and I see another deer behind her and it's her little ones a button buck and a doe fawn. I just could not do it the button buck still had spots on him and they were both still feeding off mom, so 20 minutes later my phone vibrates and you guessed it I bought a $35 case of SamAdams "Octoberfest"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I take what God offers me and I'm grateful for it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Wow, didn't realize I was so alone. I was already about as picky as a panther, but it helped solidify my thoughts (and instincts) to read David Petersen's "Confessions of a Would Be Baby Killer". It was in TBM about four years ago. You might give it a read.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Everybody has a different need. For me and my house. I'm the only one who eats deer meat. So I seem to be more selective in what I shoot. Momma's with little one's get the pass.

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I wont take that shot either
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I enjoy the watching as much as the shooting and eating.  Does with fawns or even small yearlings get a pass. Especially if I watch them for a while and watch them "play".
I am a softy and admit it.  I love to hunt, but I also feed more stray cats than I care to admit.
I am a member of Quality Deer Mgmt. and our club tries to follow it, but in the fading light, or early morning pre-dawn, QDM be damned, a playful fawn will make me pass on the doe every time even if for management reasons she should be taken.
The other guys in my club get pissed at me because I won't kill a rattlesnake, water moccasin, or shoot raccoons off of feeders.
It is personal with me, and I alone have to live with myself.
(But Lord I love fresh venison liver and onions and fried heart!)
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
I'm kinda the same as Day Dreamer, I love venison, but my family not so much.  I just like to hunt, not on a mission to pack as much venison in the freezer as possible.  One nice doe and I'm good,  no need to take the babes.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
A friend of mine, he’s a paraplegic. He was giving up on life (long story) and we talked him into getting a cross bow. After eight years of not hunting he was pumped. We dropped him off at his ground blind. He said I’m killing the first deer that passes by even if it has milking lips. So, we leave him there for the morning hunt. At about 11 am we go to check up on our little buddy. He is smiling ear to ear. We walk up I say you look like you have an arrow missing, yep he said. Is it a big one, he goes off, she is a monster. OK my friend calm down we will go find her. So we head out following the trail of blood, 50 yards into the trailing we lose blood, then the trail splits. My friend Todd said I’ll take this trail you take the other, if you find her give a hoot. So we go off  5 or 10  minute’s and I hear Todd hoot, I go over and I see Todd. I say is it a nice one. Todd picks the Deer up by one leg with the brightest spots I ever did see. We drag the deer to our friend, he see’s us coming and with the most excitement I have witnessed in years, he yells is it a big one. We said oh yea it is huge, we drag the deer like we got a real load. After taking 50 brakes in the fifty yard to our friend he finally sees the deer oh man he said I can’t believe it. I would have swore that deer was a big one, being the good friend I am I said maybe we only found her baby and you shot low and this one dropped out. That went well. As bummed out as he was we offered him all kind of support. After everything settled down, it was time for some pics  so Todd gets the camera out and our friend saw him, what you doing with that. Give me that camera. I wish I had a video camera as our friend chased Todd all over heaven and back in his wheel chair trying to get the camera. So small deer or not I know my friend will not forget the first deer he killed after coming back from some bad times in his life. I know I won’t as far as that goes neither will Todd. Good hunting little buddy.   :knothead:    :banghead:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
You da man, I am a sucker for momma's and babies too, just don't need venison that bad, but like others have said, it's a personal choice.

If they are weaned, I am all for taking nice yearlings, besides they eat the best!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I have crop tags for deer damage. Now I'll take a doe with a yearling no problem. I had a doe with two little spotters under my tree. I wasn't about to take out three deer for one. The land owner a women witnessed what I did and ripped me for not shooting all of them. Boy some women are heartless!!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Nope, can't do it, they will walk, I'll pick up road kills first ...

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I can't do it either.

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I Let em' walk on opening day....I drew and let down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©