3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Doe with fawn .... just couldn't do it.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Doe with fawn .... just couldn't do it.
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
I had an easy shot at a doe fawn without spots yesterday in Maryland and couldn't do it. The landowner is counting on us to take some does. I blame it on being a Dad!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
I will let them walk anymore. Used to not be that way but I would put 5 to 7 in the freezer. Not so much these days. Still do some managements hunts from time to time and if we catch a doe with a button buck she's fair game. Mainly just don't like fooling with cleaning all them deer anymore and just enjoy being out there. Now if'n it's a big boy I'll track and clean and sit all day if'n I have to. I just enjoy being there and taking mature deer anymore.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I like leaving the old does to teach the kids.  Yearling does (1.5 yrs) are in trouble.  Buck Fawns (button bucks) get a free pass, but doe fawns, well, it just depends on the day and the shot presented.

The yearling / fawn confusion is kind of a hot button with me.  Deer aren't yearlings until they are a full year old.  Those little deer with the doe are fawns, not yearlings.  It's pretty easy to recognize a yearling doe traveling with a mature doe/fawn family group.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
I let a perfect 2 to 3 year old cow elk go at first light on first day of elk season this year.  It was my first trad hunt in over twenty years.  I was 1/4 inch from full draw when a pair of twin calves that were still at suckling size ( late birthing ).  I slowly let down and let her pass.  It was an chip shot at 25 yards with a wide open kill zone shot.  No way am I going to kill three elk with one shot.  I moved on dry cow and got pegged by a yearling.  No big deal.  It just means I gotta hunt hard late season.  That will be really rough on me.

I spent 8 years serving my country and spent my share of time in the sand box fighting for our country.  When I make a kill I want to be able to look back at it and feel good that it was clean, made responsably, and fed my family without damaging anything but that one animal.

It is just my way of doing things.  No question for me a doe or cow with suckling age young always gets a pass.  Get them past suckling and the does gets it, and make no mistake, a yearling elk inside thirty yards is meat!
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
Let a little one pass waiting for the doe. The little one was almost as big as her mom. The doe never gave me a shot. I am hunting with a self bow and wanted to get one with it. Next time.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
I let the does with little ones pass too...if it's early in the season.  If it's late (like Nov.) and the freezer is empty, I definately shoot. The fawns are long since weaned and won't miss mamma. No doubt that my favorite deer to eat, however, are the 18 month old dry does.  Yum!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
I'm with Izzy too. I've passed on respectable bucks and shot lesser bucks, passed on does with fawns, and shot a doe and her yearling. Something tells me which ones to shoot at. I don't know what it is. If I'm not meant to take that animal, don't worry, I'll miss. LOL!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Well, the first time I went hunting as a kid, and my father shot a doe... I had to wipe a tear when I looked at that dead animal. Years later, my father shot a doe with a fawn. Didn't bother me as much. I don't know why. Scary as it may sound, I guess you get used to it.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I couldn't do it myself yesterday.  I stood, got the bow off the hook and then just enjoyed watching them eat acorns under the whiteoak for about 20 minutes.   I've done this a few times over the years.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
I have passed and I have dropped the string.  Never regretted either decision.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I don't shoot does with fawns or yearlings.  I watch them frollic all year in the field.

I also never hunt on Christmas Eve because the animals talk to each other.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kasey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
i let hogs with soft ball size little ones pass last week

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Having empathy is not weakness. Sensing the connection between a doe and fawn is evidence of a larger view of life, which is always a good thing. There will be other opportunities that will feel just right.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
If I need meat and the shot is right, I let it fly.  This is only my second year hunting traditional, first year with a longbow, and have yet take take a deer with trad gear.  I will take any doe, whether she has a fawn or fawns.

Several years ago hunting out west, on the last day of the bowhunt (compound bow), I had a shot at a muley doe with twins.  It was early September and the fawns were tiny.  I decided I would rather go home empty-handed.  I was sitting on the ground against a boulder, and the doe kept feeding toward me until she was only about 8 yards from me, quartering away.  It was tempting.  Plus the fawns bleated almost non stop for 15 to 20 minutes.  I almost shot the doe to end her misery!  They were cute for about 10 minutes, then very annoying.  Never regretted coming home empty-handed though.  I don't think the little ones would have made it without mom at that point.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
The fact is there are very few dry does (for whatever reason)in any herd. The only way someone can say they do not shoot does(on a regular or semi regular basis) that have fawns and have it be true is to never shoot does. Often the fawns are near the doe, but not with her. To be sure of one being dry would require most to scout for, identify and target a particular doe - something I am sure few if any do on a regular basis.

Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
I saw a mature doe ahead of me Sunday afternoon, feeding along the same trail I was on. I made a great stalk, and wound up 20 yards away with her broadside. Thats when I noticed the little one off to the side. I let them both pass.

Later on maybe I would have shot one of them. Who knows? Most of us let lots of deer pass every year. I think thats a good thing. It's what seperates us from the animals, because you know darn well a coyote or wolf wouldn't hesitate.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Really... pleeeease, check out the article I mentioned. Hint: it's not the "mother" does that are in question.

As for hogs, I consider it obligatory for hunter/conservationists to shoot them all, by any means necessary. Fortuantely some states are getting aggressive. Year-round, no bag limit is not aggressive. I'm talking all that plus night hunting and baiting. Disagree? Wait till they destroy your hunting grounds. Or take a look at kudzoo and imagine a mammalian version.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
"...shoot them all, by any means necessary."

That must be the new 'conservation' theory.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
I probably won't shoot a fawn with spots,  but we have the availability for several tags here,  in some areas, an infinite amount.  

From a conservation standpoint, the fawns are most likely to die in their first winter anyway, shoot one of them !
ChuckC

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Nevermind. Debate, even criticism is fine. I don't come here for sarcastic remarks. Try a direct statement next time. For an example see my last post, or my last sentence.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©