3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shield cuts and noise  (Read 381 times)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
shield cuts and noise
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
This is strictly out of curiosity, I was wondering about other shooters experience with Three 5" shield cut helical fletches being noisy? I have had probably 5 dozen or so and the only ones that have all been quiet are an Arrowsmith's "custom cut" that are exactly 1/2" high max. The funny thing has been that it's never the entire dozen that are noisy, recently I got a doz. Sitka Spruce, they are straight, no gaps in the glue, fly GREAT and 5 of them hiss all the way to the target. I have never noticed the same set-up in parabolic being noisy.

Re: shield cuts and noise
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
I shoot shields exclusively and have not noticed a noise problem. I did with the banana cuts, tho. How fast is the bow? That may be the variable...

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
No noise with mine.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
I shoot shields and parabolics and dont notice any major noise difference.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I have experienced it out of Dan Toelke Whips(deflex/reflex longbow), his Chinook (1 pc. recurve) and the newest dozen mentioned are through a Toelke D bow. Beman MFX's and 11/32" woods, velocity from 168-172f.p.s. from the longbows to 184 f.p.s. with the recurve. The only thing i do out of the ordinary is shoot with my ring and middle finger under the nock and my index finger off to the side barely contacting the string.

Offline Bush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
I have had noisy ones, but when I use the Trueflight 5" shields they aren't much louder than my parabolics.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Shoot 5.5" shield cut from TruFlight also. No noise problems.

Every now and again I do get a "wild one" that will make some noise. Not convinced it isn't caused by something else.

EX: Just put a new nock on an arrow that had been completely quiet. Now after shooting it a few times it does make some noise....can't pinpoint it.

I don't hunt with an arrow that for what ever the reason makes any noise. OK to be noisy in the yard. Kids like noisy ones.....they think they are faster than the others!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
I've shot noisy arrows for several years now and must say that none of the 100 or so big game animals I've taken with them ever complained, not even once:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
I know that when I've shot a 5" feather (parabolics or shield feathers) setup that impart a lot of spin and I've got them tuned well I will hear a hiss.

It might be that the 5 that are the noisiest are the ones that are matched very well to the bow.  When big feathers get the shaft spinning fast I hear the noise.  The other 7 may fly fine but not as well as those 5 (due to small spine variations) that are creating the hiss.

Offline Pegen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
no noise with mine either

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I shoot a Toelke Whip, and I've noticed that my parabolic cut feathers are quieter than the shield cut. Just my two cents.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Never had a problem here. Been shooting them for about three years.

Your mileage may vary,
-Charlie

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
How many of us have had someone shoot our bow and arrows while we stand down near the target...safely near!...??? I bet you would be surprised at the noise that you would hear. I recently did this. I now shoot 4-4" instead of 3-5".
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©