3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple suggestions....***everyone please read***  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
A couple suggestions....***everyone please read***
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I really enjoy the hunting stories everyone posts here. I do have a suggestion for the tellers. Please break your writings with paragraphs. It makes the reading so much easier. My old eyes are making it all run together.

When hunting season rolls around we see a few stories about animals hit and not recovered. Unless someone is looking for advice on recovering a deer, it seems kinda pointless to just say "I hit one and we looked and looked and could not find it or "we're going to try again tomorrow". The antis don't need any help for sure. I don't want to sound like I'm chastising anybody because I sure don't mean it to sound that way.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple suggestions....***everyone please read***
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
yep.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Bill, There hasn't been wiser words spoken on this forum bud!

We were just talking about the wounding threads, and what we're gonna do about them. We get overloaded every year with them. Not good! We don't need them on the web for all to see...

Good thread    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
What about the threads that show/discuss the amount of blood letting of a particular broadhead or setup?  Or the threads that contain pictures of the tissue damage caused by the arrow/setup?  Just to describe a couple....

The anti's can and will find issue with just about everything that has to do with hunting or the overall experience of hunting.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
I agree with just posting about, "Uh,I shot this deer,hit guts,no luck,so I'm headed back out" threads.Really no need for that to be posted.

However,some folks do need to post about it though as they are new hunters and may not have any experienced hunters around to help them track or what to do in a certain situation.

I also agree about paragraphs.And periods.And commas.  :rolleyes:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Rappstar I agree, the antis can and will find something to use against us from anything we put out.  However it's better to make them work for something to use rather than just hand it to them.  

I personally was guilty of posting such a thread and didn't realize what I had actually done until it was pointed out to me by Guru, so not everyone realizes what they are actually doing when they post these .

Sometimes they may just fell bad and need to get it off their chest or as Bill said they may be looking for advice.

Like Guru said good thread Bill sometimes people just need to understand what they're actually putting out there.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Wise words, Bill!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Excellent point rappstar ....

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
I will leave the question of cleaning up or restricting photos to the moderators - they host this site, and I am very thankful that they do the job they do.

However... I might respectfully disagree with regard to restricting the hunting reports.

This is the only forum I have found on the net (and I've been on quite a few) where anyone admits to a less-than-perfect shot, a less than MOA group, a less than successful hunt, etc.

A new person to this sport (or hunting in general) might think that there is nothing but successful hunters in the field if these are the only stories they see.  

For those guys and gals to go out in the field with inflated expectations is as big a threat (in my opinion) to our sport as any bad publicity from an anti hunting group.

The anti's will do what they'll do.  They can quote to their hearts content this forum, or any other - or they can make one up on the spot.

Our mistakes and our challenges are part of our history and what makes us human.

Respectfully
(and with judicious use of paragraphs)
Nate
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Well ladys and Gentlemen, I understand what you  are conveying. I was looking thru a 1984 bowhunter mag at the harvest pics. Deer in the truck beds, hangin from swing-sets, you get the picture.

Now, I will not and won't post anything negative! But, I will not make excuses for why I hunt.

We are fortunate to live in a time where we can hunt for the enjoyment. Our ancestors hunted so they could enjoy survival!

If you play near the fire, you will get burnt! Who wants to get some wood? Good shootin, Steve

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I wondered about those threads too.I think it is a good idea to do something.

It is possible to educate people about reading sign,tracking,how and when to follow up animals etc without recounting actual dirty details.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Where and How do you draw the line....?

Allowing 1 for education, allows them all because, each one is different. Hunter education class is a very good start...............

Bill.........Paragraphs are a VERY good idea..Even for these not so old and tired eyes   :bigsmyl:

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
There are some stories you do not have to ever worry about hearing.  The ones where a deer was hit in the shoulder with a light arrow and light bow. No blood and no recovery.

All that mattered was a scary sharp broadhead and perfect shot placement .  Then the reality of bowhunting hits home and there is no story that will be told.  

It could have been a good story with pictures.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I respectfully disagree.  I would hate to see them stopped or a change to the way this site is edited.  They are a fact of hunting.

I have seen and read a lot more antihunting comments from hunters than the proverbial "antis" anyway.

As Iron Bull said, how do you draw the line?

That is a great question.  I would answer that I would draw the line based on success and this site is successful based on the current editorial position.  Success can be measured.  Fear of antihunters cannot.

Regarding the paragraph situation - I have no comment for fear the grammarians may be reading this site and shutdown the internet  :-)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Dead nuts on Bill!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Good arguments on both sides of the fence.

Seems there are so many "in your face" groups out there from PETA on up that it won't matter much what we say or do...

I can't argue with proper use of paragraphs though.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Wanted to bring this one to the top for all to read.....please refrain from posting about hit animals till they are actually found!

Starting a thread, just to say you hit one serves no purpose.  If you don't find your quarry, you end up with many people asking "what happened"...most of the time the topic starter either just doesn't want to talk about it, or explains how "everything looked perfect"...but I lost him/her.

It's really the kind of talk we don't need here, and if we let them all go, we'd have a board full of them...believe me, it's happened!

Please take Bill's advice!

Thanks guy, and have a great fall season!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Agreed about the wounding threads! I have to disagree about the blood letting and broadhead damage threads, these help show how lethal a trad bow and a broadhead can be and help educate folks. Shawn
Shawn

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Bill, thank you for bringing it up. When I see a long post that runs together and no paragraph breaks I usually skip over it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©