3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A couple suggestions....***everyone please read***  (Read 1043 times)

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A couple suggestions....***everyone please read***
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
While you're at it with the paragraphs, some punctuation and capitalization would be a nice touch too.   ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
wounding threads NO, bloody kill pics YES!. these are my favorite threads IMHO. ill be damned if i kill a deer (Lord willing it be a good shot) and there be a good blood trail and i dont post pics of my BH, amount of blood, entry/exit hole, story, etc.(short paragraphs and straight to the point ,amen on that)  i believe alot of people can learn some valuable info on certain situations,location of shot in relation to amount/type of blood (length of blood trail), lethality of their equipment,and so on.   P.S. now all i need to do is learn how to post pics on here!   :laughing:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
I am kind of on both sides of the fence here. Sure the I hit it in the guts and could not find it and that is the jest of the content, i agree with the no need side.

New paragraph:    :saywhat:   Im bad about this one.

On the other side of the fence.
When someone is new and they post about this and are asking good questions about what to do and asking about tracking trying to learn and make their self a better hunter, i think this is one of the best places on the net to learn and we have some of the best teachers on the net to help them.

Note: Just my take on it. If the Mods believe these types of posts are not good for tradgang then we all should follow that suggestion.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Just a personal thing I suppose but I will not post any pics that have a lot of blood showing. IMO it is showing disrespect to the animal. Most people agree it is best to put the tongue back in the mouth and remove most of the blood before taking hero pictures. Why is it any different when just the animal is in the picture?
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 01:27:00 AM »
Bill, you said it well "just a personal thing", that considers the fact that plainly different strokes for different folks. Do agree with you that it's wise to factor in what may be offensive to others.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
I can't say that I have been offended by any of the hunting threads on here but a few have left me scratching my head.

It's one thing to say that it was an easy blood trail but something quite different to have one picture after another showing massive amounts of blood.(borderline gore)

The other issue for me is how hit/loses are treated.

I have a friend that I stopped hunting with because I made the choice not to hunt with someone who didn't seem to be bothered by making hits but not recovering the animal. His statement after what I considered minimum recovery effort was "Oh well, it's just another deer in the woods."

I think he believed that it was his land and therefore his deer to be treated however he deemed appropriate.

Needless to say, we disagree! The land may be his but the deer... not!(IMHO)

Sorry! This one pushed one of my buttons and I need to reel it back...lol

Thanks for giving us an excellent reason to give pause and reflect on what we do and why we do it.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
I agree with Bill/Curt.
I also feel nearly as strongly about threads where missing(especially multiples) is taken lightly and the person is told "to brush it off, keep flinging as it's part of the game." Yes it happens, but a miss is just plain luck it wasn't a bad hit and a wound. No way ever would I feel good about at least getting the opportunity - another common reaction to miss threads.

JMO

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
I visit other sites that only allow photos to be viewed if you are logged in. Guests cannot see them.

As for the limit, some folks visit here because they have no one else that will listen. My wife doesn't want to hear about anything related to hunting. Neither do my daughters. A campfire is for stories and comaraderie. I do agree that how it is portrayed is critical, but to totally block it is not good in my opinion.

Hunting is hunting. It isn't always successful. Sometimes it downright sucks.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
I visit other sites that only allow photos to be viewed if you are logged in. Guests cannot see them.

As for the limit, some folks visit here because they have no one else that will listen. My wife doesn't want to hear about anything related to hunting. Neither do my daughters. A campfire is for stories and comaraderie. I do agree that how it is portrayed is critical, but to totally block it is not good in my opinion.

:thumbsup:
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I dislike the stories about "gut shots" and unrecovered deer.  They may be a fact of life but I don't need to have someone tell me about it (lots of other "facts of life" I don't need descriptions of also).

IT appears to me that some people probably make up these stories----to sit in the woods for several hours and not even see a deer may appear to the inexperienced to be the sign of a poor hunter.   Tales of unrecovered wounded deer may seem to the uninitiated to make him sound like a great hunter who is foiled at the last second by an unseen branch or unexpected movement of the deer etc.

Proper spelling, grammar and punctuation would be nice but the ones who need that help are usually oblivious to the need for it.  Good luck in your efforts though.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
Bill, you are absolutely right.   And, I would like to ad that when you post, please don't use all capital letters.   Do use punctuation and don't make your reader suffer though long, run on sentences with no end and that often make no sense at all.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
Some of the best advice I've ever heard on here.
James Kerr

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:

:thumbsup:   X2

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Well said Bill!!

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Agreed about the wounding threads! I have to disagree about the blood letting and broadhead damage threads, these help show how lethal a trad bow and a broadhead can be and help educate folks. Shawn
x-2

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
Good thoughts by Nate.

Antis gonna hate no matter what.    :nono:   If so worried about it, as said above, maybe the site should be changed where pics or some content is only viewed by logging in.  Don't know if that is feasible or wanted.

With something like wounding seems like case by case basis is fine, although I suppose more work without a firm rule.  If the mods want to pull stuff, people just need to accept it (happened to me once on a stupid thread I started).  

Wounding a deer can be a bad deal to go through - to me a possibly lower low than the high of success, and some people may need to let it out or need encouragement to get back out there and look.  The focus of the forum is after all on "bowhunting."
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
I agree that we shouldn't post the wounding threads and believe me I have wanted to in the past as most of us have. Especially if it was on a nice buck.

On the blood threads my thoughts are I don't like the super gory threads. Not because of the anti's but because of the men, ladies and kids that haven't grown up around the hunting lifestyle who see that for the first time may form an opinion that hunting is bad before they even know what it's all about lasting their entire lives. My daughter has her friends over all the time that haven't been exposed to hunting and some of those kids questions and thoughts on hunting would amaze you. I would hate to think a beautiful deer in a a pile of blood was there first experience with our sport.

A little story on this note. A buddy's 10 year old son killed his first deer (with a wheely bow) this year and I was the photographer and dragger helper on the extraction. The excitement was at a really high level with grandad showing up as well. We loaded the deer in his truck and he called grandma and his wife to meet at grandparents house so they could come see his deer.

First off I had cleaned the deer up for the photos and after we loaded it and after he got off the phone I said "Hold On we need to flip this deer over so the ladies don't see the ripped open side and all the blood where he had been gutted. He gave me a Who Cares stare but did it. Anyway his grandparents lived in a neighborhood with lots of houses all very close to one another. When we pulled up kids from all over and neighbors from all directions flocked down to the tailgate. Most of which this was their first encounter with hunting. They were all very inquisitive and most even rubbed on the deer. My buddy turned to me later and said I thought you were nuts when you made us turn that deer over but now I get it, thank you.

I can't imagine what most would have thought if we would have rolled up with blood dripping everywhere. I understand that blood is part of the hunting experience and not shocking at all to us, but please do think of how it portrays hunters to the outside world.

Sorry to be so long winded, but great thread Bill.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Very good tread Bill, I agree with both your points of issue.

But both sides on the posting of wounded treads have good views.

This is one of the reasons that makes Trad Gang a great forum.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
A little thought and foresight go a long way.  Sometimes it helps if people think about how their thread is going to be received.  I understand this is a hunting community.

Just because we are a hunting community doesnt mean we should be slobs. A little respect for non hunters will go a long way.  Yes Anti-Hunters will always be the annoying little mosquito in our ear. But if you give them blood, soon there will be two and then three annoying mosquitoes. Think about it, dont fuel their fire.

This world will be brought down by it's constituants thinking about what they want and not what is best for the community.

That is why Moderators have a vital role in which I am grateful.  It is their discretion that makes this place great. It would be the least WE can do to help them out, all it takes is a little forethought.  

Dad always said to think before I speak. learned my lesson the hard way but now serves me well.

OH AND WRITING IN ALL CAPS AND SENTANCES WITHOUT PUNCTUATION CAN BE VERY VERY ANNOYING I MEAN WHY WOULD SOMEONE JUST KEEP BLABBING AND BLABBING WITHOUT ANYTHING TO SAY PERHAPS IT MAKES THEM FEEL IMPORTANT PERHAPS THEY FEEL OBLIGATED TO FILL A VOID WHO KNOWS BUT IN THE END ITS JUST WRITTEN NOISE AND IS VERY ANNOYING.  ;)
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Thanks for this post.  I too, hate to hear so much about lost animals.  That is something we should not boast about, nor publish (IMHO).

Thanks again.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©