3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: After the shot: Tracking wounded deer.  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
After the shot: Tracking wounded deer.
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I have noticed a few threads on unrecovered animals. And as I and most others hate even the thought of such, I thought it might be good to pool some experiance from all of us here on tradgang.
Post away...

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: After the shot: Tracking wounded deer.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I don't have alot of time tonight but if I thought there was one thing I could tell a newcomer to the hunt in this matter I would have to say that it is to wait... and then wait some more in the case of a shot farther back in the body than desired. I have also learned not to hug the shoulder too tight in my shot location.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Now I have lost a few deer due to tracking to soon. So wait 45 to 60 minutes before going to look.

Also when I do track I look more for trax then blood. The reason is You can tell a lot from the way the game is running off and most of the time you lose the blood but still have turned over leaves, kicked up stones and other tall tail signs.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
I think a good rule of thumb is to wait at least 5 hrs. in the case of a one lung/liver wound and 7 or more in the case of a paunch shot. A shot in the intestines will often not leave any blood, even on the arrow.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr.   http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Wounded-Deer-Outdoorsmans-Edge/dp/1580111904  

This book should be in every hunter's library.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Depends on the temp too. 5-7 hours in 80 degrees and its all for naught.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
i have heard alot of people say that deer will head for water,now i don't know how true this is though.i have however had deer circle back towards the same location they were shot from.
Richard Battistoni

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
You can sometimes tell the direction the animal was moving by looking at the blood splatter pattern on the ground.  I like to use toilet paper to mark blood trails as I follow them.  A good light is important for tailing at night.  

I usually try to walk to the side of the trail when tracking.  I like to shoot a field tipped arrow in the spot the deer was standing when I shot it for a reference.  It is so important after the shot to know where the last place you saw the animal at.  If the blood trail runs out look around and find a trail and check it, if i don't see anything I will still follow it.  

If all else fails get some friends and do a grid search.  Dogs can really help to recover a wounded animal.  They say peroxide helps to show blood better because it will foam up when you spray the trail,  this will also wash the trail away so make sure you mark the trail.  A lot of people like lanterns for tracking, but I tried it with one and was not to impressed but I just tried it once.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I have a rule that comes from many tracking jobs, if you dont find a bow shot deer within the first 300 yds, if the weather is cool enough come back in the morning. most chest shot animals, whitails especialy will be dead or weak enough to lay down within the first 300 yds if hit hard, if not found in this distance leave them alone if possible or you risk pushing them and a poor blood trail. If you lose the blood start your search by creating grid patterns and always look hard at any avalible water source as wounded and bleeding animals tend to want water. And trust  your instincs as to how hard you hit the animal and the direction of travel.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
I helped a guy find a gut shot animal at a pond one time kind of a last ditch effort thing that payed off.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Alot of good advice here, if I loose blood I get down low and try to think like a deer. Look at the terrain and holes in the brush that you wouldn,t normally notice standing up. Been alot of times I lost blood only to go back to the last spot and squat down and look for any possible path that a deer would or could take and check them out for 20 or 30 yards and end up finding blood or leaves kicked up with some fresh dirt and pick it back up and keep tracking.
 Tracking deer or anything for that matter is an art and comes with experience and alot of learning from others.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 10:36:00 PM »
too many people forget the grid search and just give up
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Pay attention to blood color, content and texture.

Splatter or droplets can tell you alot and point you in the direction of travel.

Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle will ID blood when you arent sure.

Dont just look on the ground. Leaves, tree trunks and sticks all hold sign.

Look for hair at or near the shot area. The hair found can tell you where the hit was.

Good thread, I will add more as I remember it.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
"When in doubt - back out!" This little reminder is very useful. Its always better to come back hours later or even the next day and find your deer close than to bump them and have them run a mile.

After the shot, watch and mark that last place you could see the deer and take a compass reading of the direction it was traveling.

Use toilet paper to mark the trail. Its biodegradable and you should have it in your pack.

If you have a certain broadside double lung with bubbles in bright red blood on the arrow, your deer will not go 150 yards. Dark blood is from veins or the liver, back out.

Bring help. One person stands at the last blood while the other looks for the next. If you have two helpers, one can loop ahead and look for the animal. Walk next to the blood trail, don't trample the sign in case you have to restart.

If the blood trail ends. Sit down and think. Look around. Where would you go if you were a wounded deer? Sometimes the end of the blood trail means a muscle hit that clotted and the deer survived. Sometimes it means the deer ran out of blood on the run and it is very close.

Sometimes deer stop and spring sideways several yards when they expire. Look around up to 10 yards on each side of the last sign.

If you think you heard the deer "crash", you did. He is right there every time. Go get help anyway so you can share the moment.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Lots of factors.
 I would top the list of reasons people don't find deer with broadheads that are not sharp. I have many times followed blood trails of other bowhunters; where the trail gives out; and the deer escapes the intended fate...and I say 'are you sure the arrow was shooting straight?'. That is a trick question; because all too often I get the reply 'yeah I shot it several times before I took it hunting'. You sharpen a head; and then you do not shoot it unless its at a deer !!!

Second is expectation. A heart shot deer can run hundreds of yards. The earlier mention of following the trail for 300 yards is totally right on- because a heart shot deer given the right terrain can be expected to run at least 180 yards. So- if your thinking a good shot is going to drop the animal instantly- well - that is just not going to lend to the situation. Your going to give up early; not look as hard; and not act in a positive manner that will lead others to find similarly hit deer.

IDEALLY - a deer hit with an arrow will run off; look back to see what happened and if its being followed; and then lay down and die.
 But hit the heart  or not get a pass through -and the deer will run hard- and fast; and they can cover lots of ground...so while it is a deadly shot; it can be a hard find.

A huge huge factor in loss: is getting the wrong people to help you track your deer. Again IDEALLY - you should follow the blood from the hit; taking your time and marking the trail so you can look back and help decide what path an animal took.

The worst thing that can happen is to have people that mean well- go out in front of you and walk over sign - and cut your chances of ever finding your deer. If someone wants to help; either let them take the lead if you believe they are a better tracker; or take control of your helpers and make them follow your orders.
 I know that sounds harsh; but I have seen people destroy sign; not on purpose; but that really doesn't matter when you are trying to find an animal!

A dead deer can be easy to see; and then too- it can be nearly impossible to see. My son once shot a buck that he followed and followed; and retraced his tracks; and just could not find. He tracked it one more time to the end of the blood trail; and in the tall grass; could not find anymore sign. He decided to take a shortcut out; and immediately tripped over the buck. It ran until it dropped; but he didn't know what he tripped over until he took a second look - and he is so 'woodsy' that you would never think he could have done that.

So - looking carefully- that is important! That is where your helpers can help. They can follow and keep looking ahead of you from the trail behind you.

Another mistake is only looking for blood. Look for broken branches; broken leaves; bent over branches; tracks; and if you do see tracks you know are from the deer you hit; take an arrow and note the distance between blood sign; and the length of the foot; and the length of the gait of the animal. If you loose the trail; then use your 'measuring stick' to help know where the next track or drop should be.

ASSUMPTIONS.  I once almost did this- I shot a P&Y buck; and while following the blood trail; saw an equally big deer run off in front of me. If I had followed the deer; which I ~almost~ did- well: it was a different deer. I stayed on the blood trail and found my deer very close to the point I almost took off- after the other buck.

Don't assume a deer won't go a certain way- check it out.
 Don't assume little blood means no dead deer.

Watch the hit; and follow accordingly. If you hit a deer in the gut; well wait 12 hours if you can; and if the weather won't allow...then take up the trail like your hunting a wounded lion- because a gut shot animal will normally not go far; and you are better off getting a second arrow in it. I have seen deer hit that way; that went less than 20 yards and laid down. Sneaking up on it; and putting a second arrow in it- would have made the mile long trail a lot shorter.

A leg hit - well the best plan is to push it. Push it and don't let that wound stop bleeding. If you wait 20 minutes that can be long enough to let the wound stop bleeding; and while letting it go might allow it to live for more seasons; if you want the deer - push it. When it beds; sneak up and put another arrow in it.

I have taken up the trail for many many hunters that shot a deer; and gave up; and I said 'let me try' - and they ended up tagging deer; including trophy deer. It is a horrible feeling to hit a deer and lose it- and that feeling can get between you and the effort you need to find the deer.

DON'T let someone talk you out of following a blood trail. I have seen other give up because a buddy said 'your not going to get him- time to give up'. Don't let their lack of concern lead your ethics.

I have lost deer. Sometimes my deer; sometimes other peoples. But I have followed blood trails for over 7 miles and found deer. Those were muscle hit deer that I pushed. But I got them- and not always for me !

If you spend 5 dollars on hydrogen peroxide - it can save the day. Sprayed on dirt and duff; when it hits blood; it foams. I have found deer that way after rains. Its just plain not a bad idea to have a couple quarts of it in your vehicle with a spray bottle. It can be used in a medical emergency too. Poured on cuts it can help kill infections; and help prevent them.
 You can use it for a mouth wash before hunting- really - keep some on hand and it can save the day.

If you give up; sit down and take a break; and start over. Don't be ashamed to loose a deer; because many hits are not mortal. But if you have a trail; and can stay on it - stay on it!

And its quite common for a deer to run the last fifty to one hundred yards or more bleeding totally internally. Don't think you will find the deer at the last drop of blood.

Climb trees. Climb overlooks and look for the deer; look for birds of prey... use your head !

Bows shoot arrows that cut arteries and veins and the deer bleed to death. That can take a few seconds - or a long time. I have seen heart shot bucks on more than one occasion run off and mount does ( then fall over dead). Just because they don't act hit; it doesn't mean they are not. Arrows cause an immediate shock; but deer are used to antler tips and barbed wire; and broken branches; and their entire lives they have run off and survived.

Do your best to be there- the day they don't!
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Brian touched on a good point.  I have some friends who want to help but just don't have a never give up attitude.  You need determined, positive people especially when it gets tough.  I would rather do it my self then have somebody behind me saying " man we are never going to find this deer".  Good point Brian.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
If someone is hunting not too far from you and sees "your deer" after you shot it. Just go back and track your deer from where you shot it. Twice in my life, I've had somebody see "my deer" run past them. I won't go on a 3rd goose chase. First one was a doe. When we got on the right trail, we followed it as far as we could that night, where it crossed a wide creek. Picked up her trail the next morning and found where the coyotes chewed her to shreds. The last one cost me a chance to put a 2nd arrow in a nice buck that bedded down after I initially sent one into his shoulder. That deer flat disappeared into a black hole after he got up and ran. Spent 2 days not finding that one before having to go home. Incidentally, that same person who saw "my deer" run past his stand was in a big hurry and jumped my actual deer before I could even close in for a finishing shot.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
I have had some younger buddies who have said they shot deer right behind the shoulder and we found pink blood along with some darker bood. Luckily I smelled a one lung/liver hit and convinced them to back out.
  Both of those deer were recovered within 150 yards after bedding in thick cover and the field dressing revealed the shot. I think that if we would have not waited 3-4 hours the deer may have been jumped.
  A liver shot can create a diverse recovery period because of the function of the liver. I have had liver shot deer that took hours to die and others that die in sight.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
One time I was checking in a doe and was congratulated by a stranger who siad that he had shot a doe a few hours before in the gut with his x-bow and big expandable broadheads. He said that since he didn't find any blood that the deer must not have had a mortal wound. I told him that a deer shot in the gut often will not even leave any blood on the arrow and I asked if I could help him. We found his deer within a hundred yards, right where she had bedded. I love happy endings.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
A lot of good advice has been given. Shaun and many others are right on. I would like to ad, if dogs are legal in your state for blood trailing, it is good to know someone ahead of time that has one. You should have his or her phone number with you when hunting.

If they are not legal, then you should petition your legislature to change the law. Sometimes it only takes a few people to get things done. A good blood tracking dog can sometimes be the difference between finding an animal and not.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©