3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood shaft internal fractures  (Read 336 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wood shaft internal fractures
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
Got out some arrows last night I havent shot in a while, hardly ever shot. Went to check them for straight, one of them just stays which ever way you flex it. The arrow is staight but about 6" from the point just goes left. Its like you cut the shaft off clean and spliced it with scotch tape, you can see the finish wrinkle. There is NO sign of damage to the shaft.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this type of thing. It could be a bomb waiting to go off.

It is a Sitka Spruce shaft, not that it matters.

Eric

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood shaft internal fractures
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
I had some wood shafts do the same thing, I lost a few arrows one day stump shooting found them about a week later and they did the same thing I think being in the moisture for so long did it.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Sometimes the wood is just "punky".  It looks good but has no strength and will take a bend too easily. That's just the nature of wood.  I see it every once in a while but luckily it's not real common.  All you can do is discard that shaft and press on.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Yep, had that too, with different woods. Bend enough of them and you'll find one!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Yes, I had a cedar arrow like that.  The found arrows that layed in the moisture do get bendy but I found if I dried them out for a few days they would be fine after straightening.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
I tend to shoot only one arrow at a time when practicing on my McKenzie target. So that arrow gets shot a lot. This summer I suddenly started shooting very poorly, kinda kicking myself, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Checked the brace height of the bow and knocking point, nothing there. Looked at the arrow and could see nothing, rapped it against my leg and could feel no vibration of a cracked shaft. Finially on a whim I put it on my spine tester, what should have been a 65-70lb shaft was only spining 40lb. Bingo! While there was no visual defect, I suspect that pulling that arrow time after time out of that McKenzie had some how broken down the shaft internally. Noticed that if I flexed the shaft one way or the other it would stay there. Took the point off and dicarded that shaft. It was Doug Fir, by the way.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Try removing the finish with some MEK, right were
the suspect spot is. Then look at that area with a
magnifying glass, whilst flexing the shaft. Me thinks
you'll find a micro-crack. I've had an occasional
"copper-wire" effect on some shafts.

Ceb - thanks for that story on the one-arrow problem,
I have one too, flies like a screwball. Never would have
thought of testing for a change in spine.   :thumbsup:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
I have a box full of them.  Whenever I taper shafts, about 200 dozen per year, I straighten the shafts first.  While straightening I will occasionally find what I call "Gumby" shafts, named after that famous toy of my childhood.  These shafts are not useless.  They make great fire starters, they can be used for the little peg on bird houses, and sometimes you can retrieve those lost items from under the couch with them.  So don't throw them away!
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I Just threw away a couple spruce arrows that took a bend when I tried to straighten them. I have had these arrows for a few years. I think the ligaments in the wood break down after awhile weather the arrows are being used or not.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I've had a few "soggy" shafts, but this one is in one precise spot, bends just like a hinge. It is an almost new shaft, hardly been shot, never wet.

Thanks, just wondering if anyone else had got any of these.

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©